The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Glass Viewscreen Bridge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 03:13 PM
Lieutenant

Ok! Does anyone know their Trek history? Its not glass, its Transparent Aluminum!!! Sheesh i was hoping someone might point that out. And sorry for seemng to be a little rude, i was just driven crazy by the "Glass" comments.

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 11-16-2008, 03:50 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
Ok! Does anyone know their Trek history? Its not glass, its Transparent Aluminum!!! Sheesh i was hoping someone might point that out. And sorry for seemng to be a little rude, i was just driven crazy by the "Glass" comments.
yeah, but they never upheld that story (canon) after Scotty gave away the technology in 1986, since the windows tend to break like glass (example: Generations)... transparent aluminum wouldn't shatter. We'll just call it "The Window" from now on...
Old 11-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8pdx View Post
yeah, but they never upheld that story (canon) after Scotty gave away the technology in 1986, since the windows tend to break like glass (example: Generations)... transparent aluminum wouldn't shatter. We'll just call it "The Window" from now on...
Oh yea, i forgot about that detail... oh well then its a GLASS WINDOW! But its SAFETY GLASS!!!

GREAT SCOTT!!! ANOTHER FRIEND OF ZARDOZ!

Old 11-16-2008, 04:10 PM
Vice Admiral

I believe the window we see on the Kelvin is indeed the "viewscreen". NOT all windows have to be man sized openings, so the comparitive argument holds no water. In the picture with Spock in front of "whatever" it looks like JJ and company have gone a new direction with the viewscreen. I believe the Heads-Up-Display (HUD) discription is well suited for this. I don't think the Kelvin will have a different Viewscreen from the E, both will be the same, yet different from what we know. Come on...really, how hard is it to have a big tv screen in a futuristic starship!?
Old 11-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Could definately be transparent aluminum since Scotty gave the building blocks of that technology to the engineer in the acrylics shop in TVH. Computer!! Hello computer?

Im sold its a window like element. Im sure once shields are down a photon or a phaser could breach the hull just as easily. Im also sold that is indeed the bridge also.

Also it is pretty obvious to me the deflector is on top in blue and the Warp nacelle is underneith in red. I have read some conflicting opinions on that.I think the Kelvin has a rougher exterior look to it, much more uneven and the plating looks like plating seams on a battleship. I dig it....
Old 11-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
The Kelvin is a great looking design.
I thought the dual nacelle design was a must for warp travel? I am NOT talking about alien ships. I could have sworn the dual nacelle design was required in order for the warp fields to overlap and create the needed "shape". I won't complain too much, as the Kelvin design, in my opinion, is a canon violation. I am pretty open minded regarding canon, so this is a big one.

Great looking? The Kelvin?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:16 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I thought the dual nacelle design was a must for warp travel? I am NOT talking about alien ships. I could have sworn the dual nacelle design was required in order for the warp fields to overlap and create the needed "shape". I won't complain too much, as the Kelvin design, in my opinion, is a canon violation. I am pretty open minded regarding canon, so this is a big one…
Yup; Gene had rules about these things, but there is a workaround for single-nacelle starships, to wit…

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlue98 View Post
“…engines must always come in pairs. (I have heard that odd-number nacelle designs are allowed because each nacelle would house two warp coils, thus itself being its own pair, however the dual-coil housing design began only in TNG—then again, in JJ's Starfleet, who knows what ‘details’ are being ‘re-cannonized).’

“The other three rules were that (a) engines must have an unobstructed view forward, (b) engines must have at least 50% line-of-sight with each other across the hull, and (c) a ship's bridge is always located at the top of the ship's primary hull. See The Star Trek database at shipschematics.net.”
Old 11-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJBlue98 View Post
Yup; Gene had rules about these things, but there is a workaround for single-nacelle starships, to wit…
Thanks for clarifying that for me!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Fleet Admiral

I like the concept of it being an actual window with heads up displays and whatnot. Very nifty! Hope that ends up being the case.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Okay, I know I've been a proponent of unrelenting support for the movie and design, but to be honest, i don't like the top and bottom warp nacelles on the Kelvin.

I know, you're asking yourselves, why? They look like, umm... well--battery powered, carnal trinkets. If you get my meaning. Sure I can live with it, but I can't get the image out of my mind. Am I bad!

Last edited by RonSalon : 11-16-2008 at 05:50 PM.