The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Theory of Enterprises rise into space
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Commander

my hypothesis here if I may

the ship has lateral thrusters, so I would suspect she uses a combination of thrusters and perhaps who knows maybe afew nasa style booster rockets to get her elevating, onces shes off the ground main engines could be kicked in and she could just fly her way out of the atmosphere.

GOD Emperor Of The Trekkies
Old 11-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Ensign

um, anti-grav units have been a staple of Trek for over forty years. There could be a huge anti-grav flatbed or, more likely, the ship is equipped with some sort of anti-grave generator.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:29 PM
Captain

Maybe Moses comes along and lifts his staff and the ship rises into the heavens? Hey, with all the other changes in history they made in this film, why not?
Old 11-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Lieutenant

Acutally, in a sense, having the ship be pulled up by a giant "Space Elevator" is doing what Star Trek has done all along.

Take current technologies that are in the "Theoretical Stage" and show them being in the "Practical Stage".

Do you really think the teams competing for the "X Prize Space Elevator" none of those companies are investors in Paramount, or vice versa.

Lift the entire ship into orbit, inspire a new generation of engineers, and in the future, watch things like the ISS lifted into orbit by elevator. Making our future the same as the Trek future.

Brilliant, if I do say so myself.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordisaiah View Post
Acutally, in a sense, having the ship be pulled up by a giant "Space Elevator" is doing what Star Trek has done all along.

Take current technologies that are in the "Theoretical Stage" and show them being in the "Practical Stage".

Do you really think the teams competing for the "X Prize Space Elevator" none of those companies are investors in Paramount, or vice versa.

Lift the entire ship into orbit, inspire a new generation of engineers, and in the future, watch things like the ISS lifted into orbit by elevator. Making our future the same as the Trek future.

Brilliant, if I do say so myself.
Exactly!! here is some of my reasoning as Bob O already has stated something along the lines of it will fit with canon. But what do we know of canon. Have we really seen full construction in space. NO Just the finishing touches. Canon (and I dont refer to books since I havent read them) states, San Fran Shipyards,Earth , Utopia Planitia,Mars. Which tends to lead
me to the surface. This is all common knowledge. I think the ships would be too exposed and difficult to defend being totally built in space.

Transport ship up: No go they can bearly transport people without incindent and there has been some rumblings that in the movie the transport tech has some bumps still.

Impulse Engines: No go while they are very effective in space they are damn near useless in the atmosphere. Now I know the Voyager could land and take off (which I hated) but this was also over 100 years ahead of this storys time line and was a smaller ship.

Warp: Not in the atmosphere it is my remembrance a field cant be generated here for safety reasons? Or is a warp field not maintainable in atmosphere I forget.

Tractor beams: too much mass IMO, but tech and physics aside its a cop out. Maybe implimented with multiple Tug ships with huge thrusters.

Pieces and parts taken up: Well it seems obvious that most of the ships shape is already manufactured there on earth.

Temporary ejectable mega thrusters: Plausible followed by impulse once out of the atmosphere. Kinda LIke the Pheonix in FC. But the pheonix was a small missle.

I guess well have to wait and see
Old 11-16-2008, 04:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous View Post
My theory is simple. If you place a certain amount of expectations on something, you will only be dissapointed by what is actually produced on screen. How the Enterprise reaches orbit will be a surprise to everyone, and I don't think we should become anal with the details. This is going to be a fresh look at Star Trek: The Original Series. Nothing has been written in stone, so I'm going to enjoy whats next to come. This movie could endup falling flat, but I'm not going to allow canon to get in the way.
Well said!! I love it when I find a post that sums it up for me!

Could be tractor beams!! Could be "tug-boat" like shuttles. Could be anything!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Well said!! I love it when I find a post that sums it up for me!

Could be tractor beams!! Could be "tug-boat" like shuttles. Could be anything!
I just enjoy theorizing, Its what Trek has always done with and to me,it excites my imagination. No matter what the movie shows to resolve this I will certainly more likely enjoy it. My expectations are not the same as my enjoyment in the discussion of what might be, if that makes sense?

All we would need do is place a sticky up top that says: Please restrain all expectation, its gonna be what its gonna be. It may fail it may succeed but we need not discuss it any further until after weve all seen it.
Thanks....ST forums Staff ....Forum will unlock on May 10th 2009.

Thats fine if you wish. I too have a very open mind and am not stuck in canon. I am poised to be surprizes as well. But I am still going to theorize.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:41 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
I just enjoy theorizing, Its what Trek has always done with and to me,it excites my imagination. No matter what the movie shows to resolve this I will certainly more likely enjoy it. My expectations are not the same as my enjoyment in the discussion of what might be, if that makes sense?

All we would need do is place a sticky up top that says: Please restrain all expectation, its gonna be what its gonna be. It may fail it may succeed but we need not discuss it any further until after weve all seen it.
Thanks....ST forums Staff ....Forum will unlock on May 10th 2009.

Thats fine if you wish. I too have a very open mind and am not stuck in canon. I am poised to be surprizes as well. But I am still going to theorize.
I did not intend to shun theorizing. I enjoy coming up with plausible Trek solutions as well. There is an old thread that covered this subject shortly after the first teaser showed the E being built on the surface.

My guess is the major componants will be built on the surface of Earth, then taken into orbit with tractor beams. Final assembly will be done in the familiar space station spider looking dock thingy. We'll see worker "bees" flying around and people in spacesuits.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I did not intend to shun theorizing. I enjoy coming up with plausible Trek solutions as well. There is an old thread that covered this subject shortly after the first teaser showed the E being built on the surface.

My guess is the major componants will be built on the surface of Earth, then taken into orbit with tractor beams. Final assembly will be done in the familiar space station spider looking dock thingy. We'll see worker "bees" flying around and people in spacesuits.
Cool! You are probably correct. I just thought the E looked darned near complete in the New trailer which is a new visual we had not seen since the original discussions about this. If I recall from the original threads there was conjecture if this was just done for effect of "Under Construction" the theme of the teaser. Now seeing it again in a new view insired some additional thoughts is all.

By the way saw QOS today and the trailer on the big screen and what a difference. It seemed like to me in the theater that I was able to more visually make sense of th fast paced editing as if it spooled slower. It was excellent I might add and the theater was packed and a roar was heard after it finished. Folks were moved by it and thats great news for me.

Last edited by ThePhaige : 11-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
Cool! You are probably correct. I just thought the E looked darned near complete in the New trailer which is a new visual we had not seen since the original discussions about this. If I recall from the original threads there was conjecture if this was just done for effect of "Under Construction" the theme of the teaser. Now seeing it again in a new view insired some additional thoughts is all.
I never bought the "under construction" explanation. I mean, I knew what we were seeing was in fact for the movie. It seemed like wayyy to much effort to create those special effects scenes just for a teaser trailer.