The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Comments & Suggestions > Suggestion about the 'Movies' section.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 02:58 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
I think if someone doesn't want to read spoilers, too bad. If it's in print it's public knowledge. They can bury their heads in the sand if they want, but don't censor an entire forum to please a few.

Next you'll see someone saying they don't want to know how the election turned out until January 20.
That's the point of having SPOILER and NON-SPOILER sections: no need for 'censorship', just pick where to post the information correctly and EVERYONE gets what they want without extra effort... as Eliza pointed out.

A dedicated SPOILER section eliminates the need for spoiler tags or carefully worded topic titles... and does the same for the NON-SPOILER section since nothing posted there should contain spoilers.

It's the simplest solution, I think... and incredibly common on movie-based forums.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatjosh View Post
Someone Should Make A Sticky Thread Saying How To Make A Spoiler!
There is actually...

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Admiral

Yes, the "about this forum, must read" thread that's at the top of every forum includes how to use the spoiler tag.

On most HP sites there was a "1 week" rule...you had one week from book release during which spoiler tags would be used...after that, it was a free for all. I like it. To me, if you aren't enough of a fan to read the book the first week, then you aren't enough of a fan to whine about people spoiling things for you.....

However, on a forum like this where information is coming in from multiple directions at different times, something like that just won't work.

Really the easiest solution would be two forums for the new movie: One where it's assumed you want to read everything so there's no need to play with the spoiler tags, and another where no spoilers will be tolerated (note, that puts a burden on us and the mods to report and deal with threads that need to be moved).

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmoore View Post
I think if someone doesn't want to read spoilers, too bad. If it's in print it's public knowledge. They can bury their heads in the sand if they want, but don't censor an entire forum to please a few.

Next you'll see someone saying they don't want to know how the election turned out until January 20.
A remember a certain discussion.....