The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Trailer!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It has nothing to do with what studio the movie is from. Theatres, like AMC and Cinemark have agreements to run certain trailers on certain movies solely for the sake of exposure because studies are done to determine what type of group sees a certain type of movie.

You wouldn't put an kids film in a action movies trailers just because they're from the same studio. You're not reaching the appropriate audience.

Depending on what theatre group you watched your movie, you likely weren't talking to the head manager. More than Likely you were talking to the Usher Mananger(s) or the Concession Manager. Head Manager isn't going to be on the floor unless there is a problem (generally) not even the accounts manager would be down stairs unless handling a customer service problem and that means one of the floor managers wasn't doing their job or it got outta hand.

And because eash manager is specialized they wouldn't know alot that the Booth Manager does know about the regular pulling and attaching of movies in the projector room.
Actually, I talked to the General Manager of the theatre. The guy in charge of all the specialized managers. The head guy. The guy I ASKED for.

Saquist, whether or not the trailer is "attached" or "enclosed" has EVERYTHING to do with the studio it's from. Paramount CAN'T attach a trailer (Star Trek) to a MGM movie (Quantum of Solace) because it's NOT their film. They have an agreement between the two studios to enclose the trailer, but it simply CANNOT be attached.

It's not like they were showing it before High School Musical 3. It's James Bond, for cryin' out loud! This isn't a case of age appropriate--it's either there weren't enough copies of the trailer for the number of showings the theatre has or the manager chose to NOT show the trailer.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Commander

The report on TrekMovie.com that cites their source(s) AT PARAMOUNT also confirms what I'm saying (emphasis added by yours truly):

Enclosed, not attached
Sources at Paramount confirm that the Trek trailer was sent out with Quantum of Solace, but that it was ‘enclosed’ and not ‘attached.’ This is an important distinction with regards to trailers. An ‘attached’ trailer is literally on the same reel as the main film, making it almost a given that the theater run the trailer. This is done for trailers from the same studio as the feature film and why the Star Trek teaser trailer was seen at every showing of Cloverfield back in January.
However, MGM is the studio behind Quantum of Solace, so the Star Trek trailer (along with many other trailers, including one for Watchmen) are part of the package of trailers ‘enclosed’ with the Bond film. This is also standard practice. Apparently there are so many trailers ‘enclosed’ with the new Bond film, that some theaters are picking and choosing which ones to show.
http://trekmovie.com/2008/11/14/trailer-update-trek-preview-showing-at-most-theaters/

Old 11-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShirtWalking View Post

Saquist, whether or not the trailer is "attached" or "enclosed" has EVERYTHING to do with the studio it's from. Paramount CAN'T attach a trailer (Star Trek) to a MGM movie (Quantum of Solace) because it's NOT their film. They have an agreement between the two studios to enclose the trailer, but it simply CANNOT be attached.
I'm afraid I must contradict you. I've seen the list myself for Cinemark and AMC. It has nothing to do with the studio but the agreement signed with the Theatres.

United Artist , Paramount, FOX, Touchstone pictures regular run trailers together regardless of the Movie's studio.

Theatres rent movies from the Studio.
The Studio sends trailers seperately in FED EX packages
Theatres "splice" trailers on to movies when new movies come in.
Trailers are taken off movies when they go back to the Studio and are spliced onto another movie.
The plan of this process is organized by a list from the head office for what movies on what opening new films.
That list is agreed to by demograhpic studies between both theatre and studio to make the most money.

Quote:
It's not like they were showing it before High School Musical 3. It's James Bond, for cryin' out loud! This isn't a case of age appropriate--it's either there weren't enough copies of the trailer for the number of showings the theatre has or the manager chose to NOT show the trailer.
Everything a theatre does is planned and organized from headquarters to appeal to the appropirate demographic.

Like I said. They likely didn't have the copies to show in all theatres. but considering that most theatres are using Christine Projectors or older and have not moved to digitial removing and adding a movie means unravelling and entire movie.

Edit: Read you above. That's true. Sometimes they will come preattached ensuring that the last preview you see is indeed a Studio film and hopefully the one you remember most.

Last edited by Saquist : 11-15-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Commander

You just aren't getting it.

Sure MGM/UA, Paramount, FOX, Touchstone, et. al all run trailers before each others movies. Please see the comment regarding "attached" vs. "enclosed." The fact that the trailer for Star Trek is attached to a non-paramount film and WAS ENCLOSED WITH IT AT SHIPMENT has absolutely NOTHING to do with agreements at theatres. The trailer CAME WITH THE FILM---and that's the STUDIO AGREEMENT.

Plus Paramount confirms through TrekMovie.com that some theatres are picking and choosing which trailers to show because Quantum of Solace shipped with a LOT of trailers ENCLOSED. I PERSONALLY spoke to a GM here at a digital cinema here in my city that also confirms that.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Fleet Admiral

I think I do get it, Redshirtwalking.
Digtial Movie theatres may have different arrangement entirely.
Or Theatres have decided to remove the ambiguity of relying on the theatre employees to put the right trailers on the right movies in some parts of the country.

It doesn't exclude the theatre /studio agreement by also having a studio/studio agreement ahead of time. It may even get rid of the need for those surveyors that check the movies during play time.

Splicing movies together is long and arduous none of those kids in booth is going to take a trailer off just to put it somewhere else on the movie pre-thread. The biggest problem is people making off with the trailer after the movie has come out.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh...and since it's called Digital Theatres....
I'm pretty sure they're not splicing movies on anymore.

The Managers in that Theatre will make a call on how long to run the trailers before they get to the movie part. Most theatres keep at or under ten minutes of trailers.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I think I do get it, Redshirtwalking.
Digtial Movie theatres may have different arrangement entirely.
Or Theatres have decided to remove the ambiguity of relying on the theatre employees to put the right trailers on the right movies in some parts of the country.

It doesn't exclude the theatre /studio agreement by also having a studio/studio agreement ahead of time. It may even get rid of the need for those surveyors that check the movies during play time.

Splicing movies together is long and arduous none of those kids in booth is going to take a trailer off just to put it somewhere else on the movie pre-thread. The biggest problem is people making off with the trailer after the movie has come out.
Paramount confirms the trailer was ENCLOSED and NOT attached PER THEIR AGREEMENT WITH MGM--and there were a LOT of trailers ENCLOSED.

The Manager I talked to confirms the trailer was ENCLOSED and he CHOSE to NOT show it for whatever reason.

You're the only one talking about splicing.

If you want to completely ignore the fact that Paramount has confirmed it and I got the same story from a GM personally, then fine. I can't help you, man.

I'm done.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Sorry Redshirtwalking, I don't believe I asked for help, but thanks anyway.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Commander

You didn't.

You did, however, contradict me and tell me I was wrong and, well, I'm not.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

No you're not wrong.
I'm sorry for contradicting you.