The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Crowd reaction
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Ensign

Almost six months

"Once you're inside , you will never want to leave"
Old 11-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

The midnight screening I saw late Thursday night was packed, and there was buzz during the trailers until the TREK footage started. The trailer got a few good shouts of approval as it ran, but most watched silently to take it in.

As it ended, quite a few people clapped, some hooted in approval -- overall it was positively received. I have no doubt it took some people by surprise who were there for Bond and perhaps didn't expect the TREK trailer.

I didn't see anyone leaving after the trailer finished... and this was a midnight screening. Good news for Bond too, I'd say.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Lieutenant

No one really cheered in our theater here in Colorado either, but when I talked it over with some of my co-workers, they explained they were really excited about the trailer, but then they are also fearing the big let down they've gotten from the Star Wars Prequels, the Matrix Sequels, and a bunch of other movies as well.

So I would like to think that everyone is being "cautiously and quietly excited".
Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Lieutenant Commander

This topic is making me nervous. I hope they do a good job with the movie. I remember when Michael Keaton's Batman and the current Christian Bale Batman movies were announced there was very mixed reaction. Why redo the series? How many people can play Batman? Well, clearly that movie series were good and well received. I hope the new Star Trek is like that.

I spoke with a 15 year old boy who said he never watched Star Trek on TV and judges movies by the number of car chases in them. It's going to be tricky balancing the high action required to get that crowd with the interpersonal relationships older fans want.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Captain

Well, the kid's in luck, isn't he? He got a high speed chase in the first full second of the trailer. Pardon me while I distance myself from this thread, I feel a Bill Hicks moment coming on...
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I cheered during the trailer for Episode 1 back in the day and my friends were yelling, "Thank you George!" And the whole theater erupted in cheers and applause.

Americans are just more passionate than other countries. Nothing wrong with that. We like our entertainment...especially since WE produce most of it.

That being said, I love the Canadians and the British...but they've always been a little more reserved.

Ahh....I can smell it now...the Bacony stink of Canada.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:48 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLaFrance View Post
Hey, to all the guys who saw the trailer at the theater, can you describe the crowd reaction to the trailer ?

Where they laughing ? Cheering ? Silent ?
Mostly silent...but intrested.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Midshipman

No reaction whatsoever. Crowd of 60-80 for a 9:10 screening of "QoS." I applauded leading into the trailer because I knew what was coming. It was one of those "Clapclapclapclap...clap......clap.............c.. .l...a.......p..." things. Very disheartening.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
I know, but not during a trailer.

Personally I'd rather watch and listen to it, rather than hearing some idiot whooping and cheering.

Intriguing....

Old 11-24-2008, 08:01 PM
Vice Admiral

What's with all the "no noise during the movie" stuff? Here in NY we get INTO the movies. We yell advice, we bootleg, we call people on our cellphones to give reviews...

(Which is fine for action flicks, but otherwise Netflix is a better option!)