The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > How us diehards can reach out and help explode this thing!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Default How us diehards can reach out and help explode this thing!

Without getting into too much,” will it be Trek or not Trek”. I think the marketing is going in a brilliant direction. I mean globally Star Trek is certainly known about and fan centric in many zones, however in areas where this is not so much revered and most likely enough time has passed where a large degree of disconnect has set in, this movie will be seeking fresh blood. A new army of fans that don’t know they are going to be fans until after it happens. Just smart business on JJ and Paramount’s part. Areas that have probably tested well with movies like Iron Man,Transformers,or Star Wars and TV shows like Alias, Lost, BattlestarG, Heroes etc. Starting this now and showing bits of the film to entice folks into thinking “wow this is freakin cool” will generate great returns if done right.

I can site my personal experience here in my day to day contacts. Folks I engage about Treks new movie generally haven’t heard a new one is in the works. The first thing they act is surprised with responses like “OMG another one?” and the like. Then I go on to say, “oh no this is different they are going back to the original shows characters in there younger days and they are being portayed by new young actors. Then they purk up a little, and generally say “Oh yeah?” Like as to gesture “tell me more” which I indulge by saying ” Yeah you ever watch Lost, Alias, MI3 or Transformers? Again usually stating they love one or the other and I continue by saying yeah the guy that spearheads all that is directing too….ya know that JJ Abrams guy? Then they make a connection and without fail even the folks who are not fans are saying “Damn dude now that could be a killer flick, keep me posted”.

I already have like 25 ready to be new fans lined up….and we have made a date we are all going together to see this. Like a company picnic Its freakin hilarious, I copy them new pics and small snippets to their emails. I don't inundate them with too much, but the buzz I have generated is real! We have great water cooler discussion about old episodes they/we remember and silly comments about the effects of the time and how even then most seemed rediculous etc etc. We talk of franchise reboots and how sucessful they can be. I truly believe the Batman,Bond, and other reboots have been the stepping stones to open peoples minds to new possiblities. Oh yeah , lets not kid ourselves this is a reboot. If ya want carbon copy and true painstaken detail to the great old Trek then watch Phase 2/ New Voyages, JC continues to outdo himself with each release and I am almost looking as forward to the New Phase2 as much as the feature film itself. It has grown on me and I truly appreciate JCs dedication and selflessness in doing the project. Frankly speaking I want Trek to go on and I am going to my part to help that along. I want to see an excellent movie and more to follow. So rather than focus on the nags I may have, or the possible cannon irregularities that may come to pass, Im going to remain open minded for the good of the many. If it fails it wont because of anything
I did or could control, so why worry about it.

Ill keep ya posted……
I am especially interested to hear what are you doing to forward
Treks further exsistence?
Old 11-14-2008, 02:25 PM
Fleet Admiral

I can't endorse things I haven't seen.
I prefer to further Trek-dom by putting out new and intresting designs and encouraging fans to take control of their cam-corders and produce their own works.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Vice Admiral

MY ALERT EMAIL!
I apoligize. I take back every mean-spirited and doubtful word I uttered from my foolish mouth. Everything works, everything meshed perfectly. The guy who said the ship looked better in action was absolutely correct. The two dimensional image we got of the ship seems warped somehow now. The ship i saw in the trailer is a totally different animal. I don't know how to say it other than that it looks better alive. It was the **********, it was the********** in battle, it was the ********** in flight, it was the ********** in dry dock being completed. I jumped to a wrong-headed conclusion based on that rather visually skewed still shot we got. After seeing her from different angles, it's just a whole other ball game. The Kelvin is a neat little vessel herself. The feel of the trailer is amazing. I left the theater breathless, the ticket taker was telling me to breathe. THIS IS GOING TO BE A NEW KIND OF MOTION PICTURE! You remember how Jurassic Park first wowed us with CGI dinosaurs?
Well is going to set the standard for special effects work for the next 20 years! I honestly believe this film will win an Oscar for best special effects. It's a new kind of film and the opening day is going to be crazy. I was in an audience with a bunch of college kids throwing crap and acting like total 3 year olds. When i got up to leave after the trailer, there was total silence and a bunch of lower jaws on the floor. Incredible, absolutely incredible. You didn't let us down after all Mr. , you've really gone and done something special here. I cannot wait to see 2 more hours of this. Everyone please forgive me for being a doubter. I'm still flabbergasted.
WHAT IS IT???
<<<<<<<<<

KEEP SCROLLING!

STAR TREK XI OR 11!!
AMAZING!
THE KELVIN IS AMAZING! LOOK AT THE GLEAMING FX!!

AND THE BIG E

http://boldlygo.intel.com
www.startrekmovie.com
www.ncc-1701.com
MAY 8TH 2009!!
SEND THIS TO ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS

Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I prefer to further Trek-dom by putting out new and intresting designs and encouraging fans to take control of their cam-corders and produce their own works.
sometimes I think you only drink 'hater-ade' you're pretty negative on this board.

go see the trailer b4 QoS and get back to us.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I always drag the unwilling with me to Star Trek movies. Hopefully the "lucky" ones that get chosen to accompany me to this new film will like it.

One funny note though. The friends I dragged to Nemesis actually liked it and I was the one leaving the theater grumbling. So who knows what will happen this time around. LOL

I certainly do get people to go to the films when they come out though.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Spread word of the surprise Shat appearance. The hype will get massive. Theater lines will be around entire blocks.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrous View Post
One funny note though. The friends I dragged to Nemesis actually liked it and I was the one leaving the theater grumbling. So who knows what will happen this time around. LOL
that happened to me too, brought my wife and she liked it, I was left a little mad at the direction that film took. lol
Old 11-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Lieutenant

thephaige

a great post mate. I too am keeping an open mind despite my love for TOS. Im also spreading the word among my social circles, work and family. I recon ill go to see it first with my family, thats about 8 of us and then with work and friends which will be a very large group.

some People who have never seen a trek movie are going with me and i think my enthusiasm is rubbing off on them. they are now interested in it when i tell them who is directing, why they have gone back to the beginnings, who is starring etc. they are genuinley up for it.

starbase Britain
Old 11-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Brando View Post
sometimes I think you only drink 'hater-ade' you're pretty negative on this board.

go see the trailer b4 QoS and get back to us.
Only ten posts and you noticed that right away!! Saquist and I agree on some things, but not on others. He seems more negative than not
Old 11-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
You can't endorse trek? This movie may be a different take, but it IS Trek! I always drag friends and family to the theater to watch new Trek movies with me. I may walk away not entirely likeing the movie, but I do my part to make Trek as successfull as it can be. I don't over analyze it. I don't grumble about what is "should" have been. I am thankfull for the Trek that has been produced and want more!!