The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Klingon Warbirds?!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2008, 10:54 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

On my LOL.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

So what? We all know that Mr.Abrams was no Trek viewer, but neither was Nick Meyer and a lot of other people involved in the production of Trek. Trek fans like Ron Moore or Manny Coto definitely did great work in Trek, but so did folks like Nicholas Meyer who had no idea about it.
Let's not forget that Ori and Lindelof know Trek, Abrams and Kurtzman don't, which gives them the wonderful opportunity to judge the movie from two perspectives all the time.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Oh lord have mercy.

He says Warbirds and the nerd tidal wave begins to build and crashes down on Bad Robot studios.

WONDER STAR TREK NERD POWERS ACTIVATE!!

FORM OF RIGHTEOUS TREK CANON!

YOU'LL NEVER GET AWAY WITH YOUR TREACHERY JJ ABRAMS!!

**PULLS OUT SHAT SABER AND UNITES WITH OTHER NERDS TO FORM SHAT-BOT**

You guys make me want to cry kittens.
Then get the heck off the board.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:50 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
So what? We all know that Mr.Abrams was no Trek viewer, but neither was Nick Meyer and a lot of other people involved in the production of Trek. Trek fans like Ron Moore or Manny Coto definitely did great work in Trek, but so did folks like Nicholas Meyer who had no idea about it.
Let's not forget that Ori and Lindelof know Trek, Abrams and Kurtzman don't, which gives them the wonderful opportunity to judge the movie from two perspectives all the time.
I hope that J.J.'s quote was a mistake. Just like the one the Vulcan ambassador made in "Broken Bow" when he said that "Earth would be facing a squadran of 'warbirds' by the end of the week", referring to the "Klingon" patient, Kla'ang. It happens. But for some reason, I don't think it was a mistake. I think he was really referring to a Klingon 'Warbird'. Because he does not know as much about Star Trek as he should to be helming this movie. Just look at the travesty that is the 'new' version of the old Enterprise that we all know and love. What were they thinking? Oh well. Maybe it'll look better on the big screen. Doubt it.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
The two did have an alliance.
Maybe, the Romulans loaned them a few warbirds and the Klingons slapped their insignia on it! Maybe that's what Abrams meant.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I hope that J.J.'s quote was a mistake. Just like the one the Vulcan ambassador made in "Broken Bow" when he said that "Earth would be facing a squadran of 'warbirds' by the end of the week", referring to the "Klingon" patient, Kla'ang. It happens. But for some reason, I don't think it was a mistake. I think he was really referring to a Klingon 'Warbird'. Because he does not know as much about Star Trek as he should to be helming this movie. Just look at the travesty that is the 'new' version of the old Enterprise that we all know and love. What were they thinking? Oh well. Maybe it'll look better on the big screen. Doubt it.
I understand that people care about the differenceb between Warbird and Bird of Prey, all I wanted to say that folks like Nick Meyer knew nothing about Trek and still produced terrific movies. Two in the team know Trek, two don't. sounds like a great mix.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Abrams is a good director, Meyer is a good director, they know what they're doing, they're surrounded by people who know Trek, so one mispoken word I don't think tells this movie will fail or shows a great lack in knowledge on the director's part. He may not know his warbirds from his birds of prey, but he knows how to tell a good story. So I'm inclined to agree with Horatio.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-14-2008, 12:04 PM
Admiral

I tend to think "warbird" is a generic military term for aircraft/spacecraft.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-14-2008, 12:07 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
I tend to think "warbird" is a generic military term for aircraft/spacecraft.
Not in Star Trek. A "Warbird" is Romulan. A "Bird of Prey" is Klingon. Always has been, always will be.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Commander

So what?
When u call the B'rel Class a Bird of Prey, you also could call the D7 a Warbird.
Just remember the D7 was also given to the Romulans and thus you could say it's as first big battleship some kind of antecessor to the Romulan D'deridex-class.

Even in Enterprise when B&B were still working for Star Trek that error was made onscreen. And they knew Star Trek for a while.

Quote:
A "Warbird" is Romulan. A "Bird of Prey" is Klingon. Always has been, always will be.
Wrong. That spaceship from "Balance of Terror" was a Romulan "Bird of Prey".
So that isn't a right differentiation.

Last edited by TheTrekkie : 11-14-2008 at 12:16 PM.