The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Some LCARS Starfleet schematics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Where's the vodka? Well, the first answer that popped into my mind was, "Juliet Stuart has a bottle she wants to share with you." Juliet Stuart was the character Jeri Ryan was playing just before she joined VOY, and that made me think about the similarities between that character and Seven of Nine. Stuart was a tough Soviet agent fighting what was called the Hive, and she had been abducted at age six by aliens who had been assimilated by grotesque parasitic lifeforms that took control of their hosts and were trying to assimilate humanity. It's like Seven was a Trek version of the same character.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

Wow, I didn't know that... what was that movie/series called?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Lieutenant Commander

It's called Dark Skies, about the UFO scene and Majestic 12 in the '60s. And it's always a pleasure for me to see all those old cars. It was pitched to ABC, CBS, and NBC on the same day, and two of them decided to accept. NBC got it. But it only ran for one season, and Jeri Ryan joined late in the game as a regular and was only in the last eight episodes. Some complained, as they did with VOY, that she was brought in to boost sagging ratings. Wikipedia calls Dark Skies Jeri Ryan's first big break as an actress. The entire series is now on YouTube, as is UPN's Seven Days, which also had a hot babe playing a Russian scientist. In one episode of Seven Days a Russian timeship came back from the future and had LCARS-style displays. It was a Paramount production. So it was obviously reuse of something from Trek.

Also on YouTube now are [i]Galaxy Quest[/], Flight of the Navigator, Short Circuit. and many more cool things.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

Man, that is so cool!

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 02-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

I figured they would use it elsewhere. it's so futurist yet simple.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Lieutenant Commander

So many movies and TV series have alternate designs for computer systems that look cooler than Windows or Mac OS. One example is the series La Femme Nikita starring Peta Wilson. I haven't seen the new one with Maggie Q, since I live outside the U.S. But also, as you guys must know, I have working LCARS computers in my house, and lots of people have the same LCARS system I use, the latest version of which has been up for a week now.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Fleet Admiral

Have you thought about doing a substantial visual upgrade for the Star Trek LCARS look?

Old 03-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Fleet Admiral

tcars was interesting

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 03-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

There was a fan-made LCARS2 developed, I think based on an early interface design for Star Trek Online. Two that are minor variations of LCARS are FLC (future LCARS) and ACARS, which can be seen here but only if you're registered and logged in, starting on page 2 of the LCARS forum. FLC does away with the elbows and adds a circle with concentric rings within one vertical frame element. The U.S. Air Force has a similar circular thing on their Web site without LCARs colors. I haven't tried to integrate that into my LCARS system. I have no idea how to make it functional and meaningful. But I haven’t used LCARS spinners, either. I’ve seen other variations that look nice but are hard to make functional in a working LCARS interface.

LCARS Community Forums

I like TCARS but have no plans to use it in a working system. The same goes for the ENT interface.

In my LCARS system the user can select from among INS, NEM, and VOY color schemes, as well as between Standard and Endgame modes, for a total of six color schemes. The user can also select military or civilian for the time displays. Some of the graphical elements often seen since the start of TNG have meaning in LCARS 24 that they didn't really have when seen on Trek but do make sense. The only graphical element that I can think of at the moment that LCARS 24 has that I don't recall seeing in Trek can be seen in the LCARS Kakuro game. The indentations along the top and left side of the grid frame vary according to the content, as do the so-called square rivet holes at right. In this app the shape is therefore different for each puzzle. Some fictional computer systems have used (or are even based on) a design element like this, but I think it fits with LCARS in this case.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
In my LCARS system the user can select from among INS, NEM, and VOY color schemes, as well as between Standard and Endgame modes, for a total of six color schemes. The user can also select military or civilian for the time displays. Some of the graphical elements often seen since the start of TNG have meaning in LCARS 24 that they didn't really have when seen on Trek but do make sense.
Could you post examples for all those details? I only know that NEM was more blueish than INS, but what was different in VOY, and which elements from TNG do you mean?

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-