The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Some LCARS Starfleet schematics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Glad you're staying here!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 08-18-2011, 03:01 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. The project is mostly programming, and the schematics are just a small part of it. But they can always use a second pair of eyes.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
I've quit TrekBBS. Some members have asked me to work on their projects but didn't get nasty about it when I declined. Some others, who are general troublemakers anyway and must just enjoy fighting, seem to follow me around for whatever reason. One, who has hassled me relentlessly about some movie he likes to promote, was clever enough to get into a fight with somebody else on an MSD thread before I had the schematic finished, but I was able to stop that simply by saying that I wouldn't be posting the final version if the thread ended up being closed before I had it ready. He just denied any such intent and stopped fighting with the other guy.

A days ago I PM'd a moderator when I was having trouble with someone else who had been chasing me around for the last couple of years. The moderator explained that just clicking on the Call Moderator button doesn't accomplish anything, that one must submit a report, after which moderators discuss the incident among themselves before deciding on any action. I didn't know that, nor am I up on the fine points of what people can get away with. And I certainly don't want to be bothered. I changed my password and deleted my avatar, signature, and location. I'm out of there. It was a good source of information while it lasted, but that's over.

I've got a couple of schematics almost done, but lately I just haven't been in the mood to finish them up. One was submitted by someone and doesn't need much finish-up. I really should work on that one, but he's patient.

Anyway, there will be more.

I put the Defiant deck plans and the above shuttle schematic on Sci-Fi Meshes after posting them here, but there was only one comment, meaning very little interest.

I urge you to reconsider, sir.
TrekBBS can be a bother and the moderating can be difficult to understand at times because it's fairly liberal but it's a very large source for exposure which is definitely what you want. I've always thought of you like Sternbach and Probert, they never get involved in the petty squabbles like pillars of the community and they treat the board not as stage but as a resource.

You've got to do same.
If you don't want to return then it would be a good idea to go Facebook to make up for the loss.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for the kind words--and the help with the Defiant deck plans.

The main thing there was getting information. I've had some really bad stalkers from outside of TrekBBS. Being hassled relentlessly by just one person is too much. But when it's several, well, you can imagine. The fewer tormenters, the better. Some expect me to spend lots of money on LCARS development, even though it's freeware.

About advertising, Linux gets financial support from IBM, and Mozilla gets if from Google--not to mention heavy coverage in magazines, etc., etc. I have none of that. It's all out of pocket for equipment and everything else. SourceForge was once good primary advertising for the project, but its system has changed in a way that leads almost no one to the project page.

I was going to say that a link at Ex Astris Scientia would be very helpful, since many people who might be interested in converting an old computer to an LCARS computer visit that sight. I just checked. He did add an LCARS 24 link, but he's got it described as a screensaver rather than an LCARS system, and the link goes to some other Trek site. And, of course, he still hasn't changed the length figure for the Type 10, even though I e-mailed him five months ago with a link to Doug Drexler's own comments on it.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:36 PM
Fleet Admiral

A lot of the guys like ex Astris and G2k's tech assessment seem to be non active...i'm sure the financial situation in the states and Europe has their focus elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

I e-mailed Bernd at EAS and got a quick response saying he would fix the link immediately. I checked. He did. So he does seem to be on top of things, even though it looks like a big job.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:08 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well it's something...

Old 01-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I finally got around to getting this little thing put together. Some of the helpful references were Ex Astri Scientia,
Memory Alpha, and Daystrom Institute.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:52 AM
Lieutenant Commander

This one, from a contributor, has been sitting around for months. Done now.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Where's the vodka?!

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-