The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Some LCARS Starfleet schematics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2011, 01:43 AM
Lieutenant Commander

A little bit of the next one:

Old 01-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

Bajoran?

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 01-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Yes. Kira and Dax had scenes inside this subimpulse raider in DS9: The Siege. That's my source of information about the interior. It's 8.5 meters in overall length. The figure of 33 meters in the TM is just a mistake.

There's also a spread on Drex Files about the model:

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...ter-pictorial/
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Another round of modifications to the Yeager:

Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

Is the All Good Things future version of the D also in your collection?

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 01-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Lieutenant Commander

I think I can safely skip that one and the three-nacelled version of the TOS E. I don't have the Type 6 shuttle because the Type 8 is already covered and is nearly identical. Users of my LCARS system generally prefer that I focus on programming, anyway, and not get too sidetracked doing artwork. But the outline of that Bajoran raider owes its smoothness to the lastest tweaks to one of the LCARS subroutines and served as a good test for that.

I may be scraping the bottom of the barrel for ships to add, but I still want to be reasonably selective.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Anyway, here's this little thing:

Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

What can one do with the software?

Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

-= first fan member =-

Old 01-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Well, I think my signature link pretty much covers it. There's a gallery of screenshots, as well as two schematics galleries. Basically, it lets someone turn a piece of junk that would otherwise be thrown away into a piece of Trek tech. An old laptop that originally came with Windows 95 or 98 becomes a real LCARS computer. The software acts as a DPMI OS and GUI bundled with various apps. It uses DOS as the boot loader but also as the platforrm for installing LCARS 24, and DOS remains available to the user upon shutdown of LCARS 24. But it's not a DOS program. It has a DOS stub attached to make it look like a DOS program to DOS. Upon startup it switches the CPU to DPMI mode, just as Windows and Linux do. LCARS 24, Windows, and Linux are all DPMI programs.

What can one do with it? Well, one can make presentations with its PowerPoint clone, type up documents on one of its word processors, play games, etc. The main thing, though, is that in Standby mode the computer acts as a full-screen clock and calendar with musical or talking alarm. But with one keypress you get a full-screen formula calculator or world timezone map with little clocks so you can instantly check the time anywhere in the world. Pressing the spacebar in Standby mode turns the screen white, since many people use it as a bedroom clock, and the white screen might save someone from tripping on the way to the light switch. There are other hotkeys on the main screen for settings, the apps menu, etc. All operations are with the keyboard, not a mouse.

I has a file manager, with various players, viewers, etc. In that way it's functionally similar to Mac or Windows, since it activates the appropriate program for any file one selects, as well as supporting the various copying, renaming, and deleting functions. It even has a recycle bin.

The library app just lists library files in four columns and activatives the relevant viewer for whatever the user selects. Files with the extension .sfm or .msd are plain text using a scripting language called SFML (Starfleet markup language), which renders the MSD screens you've seen here, among its many functions, and users can create all sorts of LCARS screens with it, just as you do with HTML, as well as do vectored drawing by textual commands.

Anyway, it's like Windows in some ways but doesn't look anything like Windows. There have been 150,000 downloads. So there must be quite a few users out there. There is also a watered-down version that runs under Windows XP. Since under Windows it can't act as an OS, and there are some things Windows won't allow a program to do, there are some features of the regular version that are simply unplugged in that Windows build. That's why I call it a Windows-based demo. My Web site has download links for both.

About the MSDs, one thing that's fun to do sometimes is run the Briefing (PowerPoint clone) MSD demo in Auto mode, in which case the computer just displays MSDs one after another, switching every 30 seconds, continously. But it could do the same thing with any LCARS screens you describe in the system's markup language.

Another unique thing about it is how fast, smooth, and user friendly the whole thing is, despite the lower CPU speeds of those older computers.

But the MSDs are no longer just for users of my LCARS system. There are two galleries of them on my Web site, and Cyngus has the Trek items blown up to larger sizes. Not to favor my stuff, here's the main link for the Cygnus Star Trek blueprint database:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...ints-main2.php
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Fleet Admiral

I almost had the Defiant schematics I needed from this site but they say the site is down or something...unfortunanat...Those are the best plans for Defiant I've ever seen. The blueprint versions are so wrong...it defies reason.

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/sd-defiant.php