The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > Trek Tech > Ships, Devices, etc. > Some LCARS Starfleet schematics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
Sure. What you're referring to is called deck plans, meaning a project to show plan views of each deck of a particular ship. Here's an excellent example, showing the NX-01 in great detail:

http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars...-deckplans.php

The schematics in this thread are limited, as you know, to MSD-style cutaways, covering 35 different Starfleet vessels, plus a few NASA items.

http://lcars24.com/starfleet.html
http://lcars24.com/nasagal.html
Wow. Thanks LCARS.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Federation Councillor

Thanks for posting some of those links to schematics and interviews - I found them very interesting to read, especially the Stargazer kitbash history and the fantastically done schematics of the NX-01.

courtesy of Saquist
Old 04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCARS 24 View Post
Here's another one, not Starfleet this time:

Oh now that's tight.
One of my favorite real space craft

Old 04-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Thanks for posting some of those links to schematics and interviews - I found them very interesting to read, especially the Stargazer kitbash history and the fantastically done schematics of the NX-01.
Here's a beautiful pictorial at Doug Drexler's Web site of the filming model for the work bee, a schematic for which I posted a page or two back:

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...bee-pictorial/

And on the Web site of Andy Probert, who designed the work bee, here's his article about the design process:

http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder...Vehicles1.html

The interior of the filming model as seen in the photos on Doug Drexler's site is what I followed to determine placement of the operator and monitor, still keeping Andy Probert's drawings in mind.

The part under the floor in the schematic is from a photo of the underside of the model.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Fleet Admiral

I've made a little list for myself for drawing Icons.
I'm taking a slightly different direction for mine.

IDF: Inertial Dampning Field
SIF: Structural Integrity Field
DSG Deflector Shield Generator
Sensor LR: Long Range
Sensor SR: Short Range
PHE: Phaser Emitter
Transporter Emiter
Transporter
PSMD: Peripheral Sub-space Masking Device
Tractor Emitter
Battery Storage
Turbo Lift Storage and Repair
Docking Latches
Sickbay
Main Engineering
Saucer Engineering
Main Bridge
Battle Bridge.

My image will be more like a true cross-section than a MSD. I'll do another later for a tru Master system Display but I wish to know what is exactly in the Middle of the ship.
There will be seven sections (Laterally) Each will have it's on external hatches, umbilicals and battery back up.

This will be good practice if I ever do an internal 3D design.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 PM
Lieutenant Commander

That can be cool. Below is a little inspiration. If you want to do it it this style, there is a freeware mesh program called Blender, which requires some learning, but look at the results you can get. A simpler approach can be seen in my LCARS schematic library. The two relevant examples of that are the gravity generator and warp coil, which didn't require a mech program to make. The other thing is the shape of your ship, which makes it difficult to make an LCARS display and also difficult to make an orthographic cutaway.

http://lcars24.com/schem20.html
http://lcars24.com/schem21.html

Old 04-16-2009, 05:52 AM
Fleet Admiral

I remember those images from the TNG tech manual.
But what do you mean the shape of a ship makes it difficult to make make a the Orthographic cut away or LCARS display...

Do you mean simply the overlapping systems from the lateral projection. In other words an Overhead would be more useful?

Old 04-17-2009, 09:32 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
But what do you mean the shape of a ship makes it difficult to make make a the Orthographic cut away or LCARS display...
Well, just that it's not quite as tall as the Intrepid class yet almost twice as long. So it has to be displayed smaller than most ships of similar height within a given display space, like a computer screen, just to fit within that space. When I make displays like the ones you have seen for my LCARS library, sometimes the shape or number of labels required ends up dictating the display size of image. In the case of the Soyuz, I would like to have made the image much bigger, but the labels wouldn't have fit. Long and slender is usually good, but too long and slender can also make the overall display less than ideal. With most Federation starships, it's easy to get a well-balanced display.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, so you mean specificly the Enigma Class Starship. I see.
Well I've been playing with that aswell. I was playing around with putting the nacelle sepreate like Voyager did. My ship isn't well known so it wouldn't convey the design truthfully. I remember I saw Voyager for the first time I thought..."I hope the nacelle isn't really down there."

I'm liking the progress so far. So much has been done. It's really been fun.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Well, the canon Raven and Defiant MSDs don't show the nacelles at all, because of their location. I came up with a different solution for the Raven, as you may have noticed. You're showing it on the Enigma similar to how I did with the Steamrunner, but my solution for the Raven might be good for yours, especially if you put a small orthographic cutaway in the lower-right corner of the display to further clarify it, since people are not familiar with its configuration. In that case, you could also show just the interior hardware of the nacelle below the MSD image, with no need for an exterior outline of the nacelle down there, since you already have it above.

Here's the Raven again, the only example I have of the nacelle shown as just an overlaid outline: