The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will the Fans of Star Trek cause it's demise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

Despite the ship...I'm still excited.
I'm loving Syler as Spock...
The dude scares the crap outta me...

Old 11-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Maybe its the old Syler shinning through when he attacks Kirk!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

Our thoughts are as one....

Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandaManda View Post
Awww, now wait just a minute.

I've GOT to vent here.

I'm one of the originals. I watched Strar Trek in my diapers. I ran around the room screaming "I wanna watch Mr. Big Ears!"

I grew up on the idealism and heroics of STOS. I prayed, I worshipped, I begged the Great Bird of the Galaxy for a new Trek.

He heard, he shopped it around, he got funding. A Star Trek Movie Was In The Works!
Then the new newsletters came out.
I got them because I had written away to Paramount for the quarterly news on the movie. (That was the only way back then to get early movie news unless you were one of the standins.)
I stared in disbelief.
Pajama-uniforms?!
Grey, white, and....dark grey?!
An Enterprise that looked more like a jukebox than her original design?
Kirk's PENGUIN SUIT?!
BAck then I was horrified.
At the same time, I was so greatful for new Trek, that all that didn't matter.
Now I look back and snicker at it all.

Most of the STOS movies were fun. Some were strange wastes of talent. I never cared, so long as my favorite characters were hamming it up.
One thing that did affect me: The burning up of the Enterprise.... that made me hoot in shock. Way to lay it on, you writers. Kirk's death? I was stunned for a week and then I got over it. Shatner's "Avenger" and other books helped a little.

Next Gen had me utterly sick-to-my stomache. I could watch the first season. It was too grotesque. Later, I watched a few eps...better. Finally I decided to watch all of them. Danged if I got used to a new Captain, and actually liked him.

Augh, no....
Deep Space Nine?! I didn't watch it until it had been in syndication for years.
Voyager? Yeah, okay. I watched it, but I wasn't in love. Specially since they killed off (well, ascended) my favorite character.
Enterprise? Please. Don'd talk to a Vulcan-lover from the STOS years. I was ready to KILL someone over the bastardization of the Vulcan people. I finally settled in because of Trip. Sure, yeah, they killed him too. FEH!

So now I'm asked to deal with a movie re-make about my beloved characters, and you ask - "How will you take it?!"

In stride, my friends, in stride. After all the stuff that's been thrown at me over the years, another movie won't freak me out. I can handle it.

And if it turns out to be a new version like "Lost In Space" was: a little fruity, a little newer, with characters uttering "Whatever!" and other *cough* new phrases, I will batt my eyelashes and sweep them off my STOS shoulder.

Just try to make me angry - I DARE YAH!!!!

wow that brought back some memories. TMP was disapointing I'll agree. More space odessy then trek. But I went and saw it opening night and was excited to do so. And I felt the same way about tng as you. It grew on me. In some ways I think the newer fans are spoiled. They are used to a constant supply of trek. Try making do year after year with 3 measly seasons to sustain you and not any real hope of anything more.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
He scares me more when he's nice! You been watching Heroes lately? Quinto is very good at walking that villain/hero line which should make his portrayal of Spock's emotional conflict/logic, human heritage/Vulcan and all that very interesting to watch.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 11-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm going to say two words: Battlestar Galactica.

Fans of the original BG fought tooth and nail against the new incarnation.

And you know what? They were wrong. They even admit it.

Star Trek will be fine. It was getting too stale and too obvious about itself.

I think they needed to rip it apart and think of new things to do with it.

Otherwise..it should have stayed dead. Just my opinion.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxchiller View Post
I posted this on another thread

I'm from the UK and the same thing happened to Doctor Who (which remember is the oldest, longest running most succesful sci fi series on tv ever!!)

They changed everything even the sacred Tardis (though they didnt change the exterior I'll grant you that)

Doctor Who was in the same place as Star Trek is now, dead in the water.
We had dvd's, reruns on satellite channels but us fans were thought of as nerdy and sad.

Then they brought us new WHO and its become more succesful than it was before!!!
It even made the news on all channels at prime time when he was supposedly going to regenerate.

nobody complains because we are just grateful that its become COOL again and the fall out from it is is that the CLASSIC series is more popular than its ever been because all the kids want to see the old ones.

We original fans still have our CLassic series (and to be honest I think they are better) but you also have the option to watch all new Who if you want.

So go see this film and if you dont like it you dont have to buy the dvd or go see any more and you can watch all the classic episodes every day for ever.

And it can live alongside this new improved Trek in harmony just like the Star Trek universe should be.
Ok, mate, I feel ya on the Dr Who thing... but here's the rub.

Dr. Who is based on the here and now and can easily re-invent itself - due mostly to the reincarnation of the good Doc. And that premise works well.

Here we have what it is. Star Trek. Kirk, Spock, and the crew in all it's glory changed pretty dramatically. Even the ship - which has changed itself over countless series and movies - we left it at version E.

It's a tough nut to swallow and I'm beginning to believe Paramount feels this as well. Perhaps the push back date was to slowly get us integrated into the new look.

Honestly, I'm going to see this. Having grown up with all things Star Trek, I've little choice .

But to have Abrahms at the helm and the writers and the cast so brilliantly matched - the sets are a major disappointment. Upgrades? Sure! But were talking square one - not version F (for Failure?).

Maybe I'll like the movie - and maybe (BIG maybe) I'll embrace this new version of the Big E... But damn. It's hard.

All you young'ins will have no problem buying into all this - but us over 40 types that were weened on TOS - you got to understand where we're coming from.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palindari View Post

All you young'ins will have no problem buying into all this - but us over 40 types that were weened on TOS - you got to understand where we're coming from.
Not quite over 40 yet but will gladly take the "young'in" title.

BUT... I did grow up with TOS in syndication in the 70s and have no problem with the modern reimagining of Star Trek. It would be laughable to see them duplicate the 60s production values for a major motion picture in 2008-2009.

Sure it worked for that episode of Enterprise, but that was a television show and only a small portion of all the fans were watching that series by the time it ended anyway.

This new film was created to be a blockbuster and needs to appeal to as many as possible to become one. I think it will be the movie that re-energizes the Star Trek brand and I am dying to see it. Wish I could take a long nap until May.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
He scares me more when he's nice! You been watching Heroes lately? Quinto is very good at walking that villain/hero line which should make his portrayal of Spock's emotional conflict/logic, human heritage/Vulcan and all that very interesting to watch.
BruuuHAHAHAHA!!! *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
I'm going to say two words: Battlestar Galactica.

Fans of the original BG fought tooth and nail against the new incarnation.

And you know what? They were wrong. They even admit it.

Star Trek will be fine. It was getting too stale and too obvious about itself.

I think they needed to rip it apart and think of new things to do with it.

Otherwise..it should have stayed dead. Just my opinion.
wait A MINUTE!!!
Are you saying There are Battlestar Galactica FANS?!

Old 11-14-2008, 04:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
BruuuHAHAHAHA!!! *cough*

wait A MINUTE!!!
Are you saying There are Battlestar Galactica FANS?!
When the new mini-series (which eventually became a series) was announced, the history of the fan in-fighting was indeed very similar to what we're seeing now with Star Trek.

There were accusations of old series fans being stuck in the past, new series fans being Ron Moore sycophants, old series fans enjoying disco lights and funky hairdos, new series fans lacking any moral integrity because they support a show that is a complete 180 of the original....yada yada Yoda....the list goes on.

It's like I said before, fandoms give themselves a bad name because of felgercarb (old school Galactica term for B.S.) like this. It can be sci-fi, fantasy, anime, or even sports. It's all the same.

Old series Galactica fans felt like they were kicked in the face because of the radical redesigns of just about every thing except the Colonial Viper (which was also redesigned), and the characters (Starbuck and Boomer were made into women instead of male characters like the 70's version) and their natures. They also felt like the new show was a slap against America and its war efforts against terrorism. The list, as I said, goes on.

Me....it's just a TV show I happen to enjoy, just like the original. Same thing with Star Trek, Star Wars (which now has another TV show, and a live action series coming out hopefully in the next couple years), StarGate, Firefly, Terminator, etc....just movies and shows. They aren't religions. And they're nothing I have control over. Life's too short to worry about petty things like "OMG, they so didn't do this right." and get all verbal about it.

Hell, I avoided the second Lara Croft movie with Angelina Jolie like the plague...why? Because Angelina refuses to wear short shorts, part of what made Lara Croft so well known. But, I responded with my wallet. I didn't go onto internet boards and verbalize my displeasure ad nauseam. Sure, if someone mentioned it, I'd say a quick word, but then be done with it.

I would have to say if there was anything I do get fanboyish about, it's leggy superheroines. (Supergirl, Wonder Woman, Lara Croft, Psylocke...etc.) If they aren't wearing the revealing outfits that I love to see them in in the comics, well, the movies might not get my support. However, that said, I did enjoy the Xmen trilogy immensely. So, see....there's nothing really to get uber-fanboyish about.

Life's too short. When life hands you lemons, grab the vodka. When the world turns its back on you, catch it in a clothesline chop, and go for the jugular. You can't make an omelette without cracking a few skulls.

But I digest.