The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Will the Fans of Star Trek cause it's demise?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Ensign

Exclamation

Awww, now wait just a minute.

I've GOT to vent here.

I'm one of the originals. I watched Strar Trek in my diapers. I ran around the room screaming "I wanna watch Mr. Big Ears!"

I grew up on the idealism and heroics of STOS. I prayed, I worshipped, I begged the Great Bird of the Galaxy for a new Trek.

He heard, he shopped it around, he got funding. A Star Trek Movie Was In The Works!
Then the new newsletters came out.
I got them because I had written away to Paramount for the quarterly news on the movie. (That was the only way back then to get early movie news unless you were one of the standins.)
I stared in disbelief.
Pajama-uniforms?!
Grey, white, and....dark grey?!
An Enterprise that looked more like a jukebox than her original design?
Kirk's PENGUIN SUIT?!
BAck then I was horrified.
At the same time, I was so greatful for new Trek, that all that didn't matter.
Now I look back and snicker at it all.

Most of the STOS movies were fun. Some were strange wastes of talent. I never cared, so long as my favorite characters were hamming it up.
One thing that did affect me: The burning up of the Enterprise.... that made me hoot in shock. Way to lay it on, you writers. Kirk's death? I was stunned for a week and then I got over it. Shatner's "Avenger" and other books helped a little.

Next Gen had me utterly sick-to-my stomache. I could watch the first season. It was too grotesque. Later, I watched a few eps...better. Finally I decided to watch all of them. Danged if I got used to a new Captain, and actually liked him.

Augh, no....
Deep Space Nine?! I didn't watch it until it had been in syndication for years.
Voyager? Yeah, okay. I watched it, but I wasn't in love. Specially since they killed off (well, ascended) my favorite character.
Enterprise? Please. Don'd talk to a Vulcan-lover from the STOS years. I was ready to KILL someone over the bastardization of the Vulcan people. I finally settled in because of Trip. Sure, yeah, they killed him too. FEH!

So now I'm asked to deal with a movie re-make about my beloved characters, and you ask - "How will you take it?!"

In stride, my friends, in stride. After all the stuff that's been thrown at me over the years, another movie won't freak me out. I can handle it.

And if it turns out to be a new version like "Lost In Space" was: a little fruity, a little newer, with characters uttering "Whatever!" and other *cough* new phrases, I will batt my eyelashes and sweep them off my STOS shoulder.

Just try to make me angry - I DARE YAH!!!!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Not contempt in the least. It's all just personal approach and opinion to what the film represents. But an ever reducing core only fanbase will not keep Trek going, because it won't be financially viable without attracting a wider base. It'll die that way regardless of anything else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
Poor writing will cause Star Trek's demise.

The fans can't be blamed for that.
I'm affraid they can.
This time now has shown that they both hear and listen to US on this forum. When we "love" everything they've put in front of us...no matter how bad as long as it's trek.....I asure you we get a good portion of the blame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommandaManda View Post
Awww, now wait just a minute.

I've GOT to vent here.

I'm one of the originals. I watched Strar Trek in my diapers. I ran around the room screaming "I wanna watch Mr. Big Ears!"

I grew up on the idealism and heroics of STOS. I prayed, I worshipped, I begged the Great Bird of the Galaxy for a new Trek.

He heard, he shopped it around, he got funding. A Star Trek Movie Was In The Works!
Then the new newsletters came out.
I got them because I had written away to Paramount for the quarterly news on the movie. (That was the only way back then to get early movie news unless you were one of the standins.)
I stared in disbelief.
Pajama-uniforms?!
Grey, white, and....dark grey?!
An Enterprise that looked more like a jukebox than her original design?
Kirk's PENGUIN SUIT?!
BAck then I was horrified.
At the same time, I was so greatful for new Trek, that all that didn't matter.
Now I look back and snicker at it all.

Most of the STOS movies were fun. Some were strange wastes of talent. I never cared, so long as my favorite characters were hamming it up.
One thing that did affect me: The burning up of the Enterprise.... that made me hoot in shock. Way to lay it on, you writers. Kirk's death? I was stunned for a week and then I got over it. Shatner's "Avenger" and other books helped a little.

Next Gen had me utterly sick-to-my stomache. I could watch the first season. It was too grotesque. Later, I watched a few eps...better. Finally I decided to watch all of them. Danged if I got used to a new Captain, and actually liked him.

Augh, no....
Deep Space Nine?! I didn't watch it until it had been in syndication for years.
Voyager? Yeah, okay. I watched it, but I wasn't in love. Specially since they killed off (well, ascended) my favorite character.
Enterprise? Please. Don'd talk to a Vulcan-lover from the STOS years. I was ready to KILL someone over the bastardization of the Vulcan people. I finally settled in because of Trip. Sure, yeah, they killed him too. FEH!

So now I'm asked to deal with a movie re-make about my beloved characters, and you ask - "How will you take it?!"

In stride, my friends, in stride. After all the stuff that's been thrown at me over the years, another movie won't freak me out. I can handle it.

And if it turns out to be a new version like "Lost In Space" was: a little fruity, a little newer, with characters uttering "Whatever!" and other *cough* new phrases, I will batt my eyelashes and sweep them off my STOS shoulder.

Just try to make me angry - I DARE YAH!!!!
wow....

Old 11-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
I'm affraid they can.
This time now has shown that they both hear and listen to US on this forum. When we "love" everything they've put in front of us...no matter how bad as long as it's trek.....I asure you we get a good portion of the blame.
They can't. Fans have no influence over Star Trek besides switching it off, or not going to the cinema. Fans can only react to what is produced. If it fails, the ones who produced it are to blame.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
They can't. Fans have no influence over Star Trek besides switching it off, or not going to the cinema. Fans can only react to what is produced. If it fails, the ones who produced it are to blame.
Exactly what I tell sports fans when they get all pissy because their team lost "the big game".

It's just a game. You have a winner and a loser. Fans are NOT in control of any aspect of the game. They aren't calling the plays...they aren't making the plays. So why take a loss of a game that you had NO control over so frakking personally? It's the players who lost the game.

Just like sci-fi fans have no control over their favorite shows. They don't write the shows. They don't hire the actors. They don't even play in the shows. So, why take this stuff so personally?

But, fans are responsible for how they are perceived by those outside the realm, and by extension, how the fandom they represent is perceived. All this sniping, in-fighting, name calling, and holier than thou self-righteous "I'm a Trek fan and you're not" posturing makes Trek (and sci-fi) fandom look like a laughing stock to the rest of the real world.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
That's the biggest influence of all.
Ratings
No Box office return...
That's power....and verbage all-in-one.

There's nothing like no one watching that say's....
Sorry...you pissed us off.

A'la ENTERPRISE

Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
That's the biggest influence of all.
Ratings
No Box office return...
That's power....and verbage all-in-one.

There's nothing like no one watching that say's....
Sorry...you pissed us off.

A'la ENTERPRISE
But. if a new and appreciably sized generation of fans turns out, watches this movie, and declares that it rocks....well.....it really isn't going to matter is it? So, all those old fans who said "we're not gonna take it" will probably be filled with impotent rage IF the new generation digs it.

If the movie bombs because enough Trek fans didn't show up to see it, then it will have simply proven that the world still isn't ready to cast aside the "just for nerds" stigma that has plagued Star Trek for so many years, because the general audience just didn't feel like seeing another nerd movie. So much for a new generation of fans.

(Of course, you can try the very petty task of trash talking a yet unreleased movie to all the casual moviegoers you can find, in your hopes that the movie bombs, and Star Trek is scuttled with whatever scraps of dignity you think it has left. But then, what would that do?

1. Alienate general movie goers even further from Trek fandom.
2. Get general movie goers to think "these Trek fans are nucking futs!"
3. Possibly get casuals to actually go see the movie because they have the presence of mind to actually judge upon release, and not before.

That level of influence might work, but then you would be held in contempt by the Trek fans that indeed want this movie to succeed.)

Frankly, I don't think there are enough Trek fans anymore that can actually sustain a Star Trek movie with their own spending at the box-office. The Trek fanbase probably isn't even HALF what it used to be....and then at that, that half seems to be tearing itself apart at the seams because someone else has a different vision of their beloved show. Some love it, some hate it.....but it's having the fans fight each other like five year olds over a sandbox.

Unbending Trek fans can think all they want about how this movie will fail because it sucks, and without the core fanbase, it's doomed to fail. That level of self-importance is highly laughable. (Even if the whole of the core fanbase as it stands right now were to go and see the movie, and no one else did, the movie wouldn't even make B-rate box office unless those fans made MANY returns to the movie.)

If this movie fails, it will be because, as I pointed out above, the rest of the world still has not shaken the "Trek is for nerds" stigma, and feel they have better films to spend their money on. Quality of the film (this could be the best damn Trek movie ever) will be a moot point for them because they'd rather watch something else (anything else) in the first place.

I do not envy JJ Abrams at all the task that he has undertaken. He wants to try to make this a movie for everyone (Trek fan and casual moviegoer alike) to enjoy. That is indeed a Herculean task. I hope he can pull it off. I really do. And this movie will at least get its one shot from my wallet.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Fleet Admiral

A bad movie is just a bad movie, martok.
In the end...the fans whether for or against will have little to do with it if they're truely trying to appeal to a larger audience.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't see the point in being optimistic.
It's best not to get ones expectations too high.

Anyway I prefer a movie meeting my expectations rather than the other way around.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MOUSE View Post
A darkness has befallen the Trek Universe. I just can't help but feel from the avalanche of negative responce from fans ...that Star Trek has met its boundries and has no more room to grow. Thus ending an era all because the fans have drawn the line on the new.

What do you all think?
In all honesty, I'd ignore the nay-sayers. This board all be that it is a good gathering place for Trek fans, is not representative of Trek fans as-a-whole. There are a lot of people who have heads that are more level and have the mature capacity to see a 360 degree picture in reference to something that they love, than those who don't. The nay-sayers just scream a little louder because they have to in order to get the attention that they crave and they have nothing better to do with their time because they do crave this attention. That's why they want Paramount to dance Star Trek around them. They want Star Trek's future to be designed around them. They want Star Trek to live or die according to the opinions drawn by them. Some people don't care, but want Star Trek to be all about them, not about the future of the franchise for anybody else to appreciate. This characteristic shows me an unappreciation for Star Trek outside the scope of their own opinions. These individuals do not have a diplomatic approach to regard this with an open mind--cannot see past the end of their noses. For me that sincerely brings into question the level of their "fandom" all together because all this attitude can do is harm somthing that they claim to love. It's kind of like sending a child to school every day with a candy bar for lunch. Sure, the bar tastes good, but the child would not be recieving any viable nutrition and therefore growth would be stunted from mal-nourishment. There would be no benefit to feeding the child what he or she wanted, rather than what he or she needed. Such is an applicable analogy with this situation between Paramount's new Star Trek movie and all of these nay-sayers.

I know what I said may sound harsh and perhaps even mean, but when I aim at an objective to be honest I don't believe in pouring sugar on the truth because all that does is distract from it.

In regard to the movie, I would stay optimistic. The deal is sealed. Star Trek has a future. This movie will probably generate a lot of attention and may even bring attention to re-runs from Star Trek's past. I believe this movie has the potential to draw a larger and more diverse fan base. Those who cannot appreciate that should not be bowed down to, but rather should be left behind to grumble.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I don't see the point in being optimistic.
It's best not to get ones expectations too high.

Anyway I prefer a movie meeting my expectations rather than the other way around.
I whole heartedly agree with most of what you just said in this quote, and your post before, Saquist. I think of myself regarding this movie as cautiously optimistic, not overly.

Don't aim too high in expectations, and you don't have fall to far if they're not met.

In the end, we both agree, it is just a movie, and like any movie before or after it, the general box office will determine its fate.