The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Every Folk On This Board Please Read!
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Vice Admiral

And It'll Be Funny When The General Audience oves it, And the trekkies Hate It. All i Can say Is,

Welcome To The Real TNG!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Ensign

Actually I'm going Thursday night at midnight to the new Bond movie so I'll see the trailer. But seriously how can you not lose confidence in the movie based on the writers? The wrote The Island, Transformers, the crapy zorro sequel.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Vice Admiral

Transformers Was Excellent!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pork View Post
Actually I'm going Thursday night at midnight to the new Bond movie so I'll see the trailer. But seriously how can you not lose confidence in the movie based on the writers? The wrote The Island, Transformers, the crapy zorro sequel.
For starters, I will not lose confidence in the movie's writers based on a still photo of the Enterprise. It's not like Orci and Kurtzman designed the ship we're seeing today.

On the other hand, I liked what they did with MI:3 a good deal. I didn't care for their TRANSFORMERS script and said so in my site's review -- but then again, it was based on TRANSFORMERS so I considered the source.

Clearly Leonard Nimoy saw something highly positive in their story outline for TREK, enough to agree to reprise his role as Spock and help the film proceed as conceived. Nimoy has spoken very highly of the film and story since then in all his interviews. For now, given Nimoy's lengthy history of TREK from the inside as well as out, I'll take his word over any fans' pre-conception of this film... including my own.

I can wait to judge the film itself ON the film itself.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Vice Admiral

Yup!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Lieutenant

You know what I find ironic? If you peruse various Star Wars forums you find fans obsessed with story and character and plot, while on the Star Trek forums you find fans obsessed with hardware and gadgets and ''iBridges'' and red capped nacelles.

Come on, people. Don't make me embarrassed to be a Star Trek fan.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Commander

Nope, it's over people. No great story, no fine acting or clever and inspired directing can ever fix this. We have reached the point of no return. I'm going to start learning to speak Klingonese, because the Federation is doomed flying a garbage scow like that. The ship is unrecognizable.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashGL1914 View Post
There’s something that’s either being forgotten or has never been thought of by those who are in the “Star Trek is about the people and the stories, I could care less what the ship looks like” camp. And that is, that Gene wanted the audience watching the original Enterprise, to feel that she was a character in the story. As important a character as the Captain and first officer. When she was destroyed in The Search for Spock, it was effective because of the relationship between that fictional ship and it’s very real audience. To the thought that the original Enterprise is ugly, you’re welcome to your opinion, but I’ll tell you something as someone who works in and around new cutting edge aircraft and knows more than his fair share of aeronautical engineers…Matt Jeffries original design has inspired more modern technology and the designs that contain that technology, that you can imagine. Any number of designers will tell you how graceful the lines of the original ship were, and how the TMP Enterprise was a pleasing take on that design.

John
Exactly. Jeffries' design parameters for the classic 1701 were form following function.

And to those who say it doesn't matter... it always mattered. When you throw out the style, the substance goes with it. A good story shines even when it's told on "cardboard." In fact, sometimes that's all the more reason why it has to.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Yes. Yes. and YES.
Absolutely EVERYONE who has been privvy to this movie so far has nothing but praise for it. They're saying that Star Trek is finally alive and well once again.
Yet, some people seem to think that some cosmetic changes have destroyed any hope of this being a good film.
I simply cannot understand such lack of logic.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Honesty, I think Gene would love this new vision, he did his best with technology in the 60's. It was an impressive ship back then because, that was pretty advanced for those days (hanging low grade resin plastic models from string - everything clean and basic - no ability to create computer monitors or electronic equipment - heck we have that stuff in 2008, so should the 23rd century TOS - and would you really fire a all powerful phaser or torpedo by flipping a toggle switch?). But back then, we hadn't even landed on the moon yet. But Gene was dreamer for technology, do you really think he would approve of the Ent-D if he didn't. You know he wouldn't believe that you could go from 3 papertowel rolls and 2 plates to a impressive ship like the D in just 80 some years realistically... Nor would he approve the TMP ent or the Phase II ent just 10 years after TOS if he didn't want the luxury of advanced television and movie technology. If he was starting today with TOS, and no other variants had been made, you can bet his enterprise wouldn't be plastic tubes and generic details, but a technologically advanced highly detailed star ship named Enterprise. The proof's in the puddin' gang. Thats why I love Sci-Fi - its all about the imagination to expect the unexpected and to dream the impossible dreams, go ahead a re-write cannon, ST was totally about the ship too, time she got her true glory.