The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Just got back from preview screening (I'VE SEEN THE TRAILER & FOOTAGE - SPOILERS)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Happy styling, Ron!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

The pic of the enterprise is official. Thats her alright.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

From what I've read about the trailer and the preview that Abrams and Pegg showed, it sounds like they really screwed up a lot of the characters. Young Kirk and Young Spock seem very out of character. Pike's involvement in things directly contradicts on screen canon from TOS. And so on and so on. My hopes for the movie being a good Star Trek movie about the characters from TOS keeps sinking. If Abrams wanted to do something this different, why didn't he have the balls to really do something different. Why do Star Trek and change so much that it's no longer Star Trek?

So far the only thing I'm happy with is how competent Uhura is portrayed.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBElliott View Post
Pike's involvement in things directly contradicts on screen canon from TOS.
How exactly, please?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
How exactly, please?
Search this very board and you'll see. In "The Menagerie" Kirk states to Mendez that he only met Pike briefly. From what was written about the preview of the movie, it seems that Kirk and Pike were more aquainted than that. I suppose you could say that Kirk lied to Mendez, but that seems out of character.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
From what I've read about the trailer and the preview that Abrams and Pegg showed, it sounds like they really screwed up a lot of the characters. Young Kirk and Young Spock seem very out of character.
How can they be out of character at a time when we didn't know them? Do you honestly think all adults are exactly as they were when they were younger? Wow!

Quote:
Pike's involvement in things directly contradicts on screen canon from TOS.
And this is meant to destroy your enjoyment of a potentially good story how? And you do realize there seems to be a *change* in the timeline right?

Quote:
If Abrams wanted to do something this different, why didn't he have the balls to really do something different.
Based on your complaining, he's doing somewhat just that.

Quote:
Why do Star Trek and change so much that it's no longer Star Trek?
Define what Star Trek is and how these clips "destroy" that.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerMan View Post
How can they be out of character at a time when we didn't know them? Do you honestly think all adults are exactly as they were when they were younger? Wow!
Exactly the same? No. Much the same? Yes. Spock strangling Kirk is out of character (aside from spores and Amok times) no matter what age. Kirk being so careless and rebelling so much is also out of character based on everything we've seen on screen. Since I'm told it's Kirk and it's Spock and it's their Enterprise I'll go in with some knowledge, based on having seen all TOS episodes and movies and so on, of how the characters should act and behave and look. If I see something that's drastically different, that will ruin the movie for me. I don't read the homoerotic fan fiction about Kirk and Spock because, to me, Kirk and Spock are not gay. I won't go see a movie where Spock strangles Kirk and Kirk drives a car off a cliff because I've been shown that Spock (when not infected by spores or in an Amok time) wouldn't strangle Kirk and I've been shown that Kirk can't drive a car and wouldn't drive it off a cliff.

Quote:
And this is meant to destroy your enjoyment of a potentially good story how? And you do realize there seems to be a *change* in the timeline right?
The Kirk-Pike relationship doesn't necessarily destroy anything. But given that Abrams chose to work in the TOS Universe, he should have just worked in the TOS Universe. Sure it's alternate timeline, but that's a cop out. Like I said, if Abrams really wanted to tell a story this different from TOS he should have just used a different ship, different time, different characters.

Quote:
Watch all episodes of TOS dozens of times. Then watch the movies dozens of times. What TNG, DS9, VOY and Enterprise episodes a few times. The read every TOS paperback and hard cover book that's come out. Watch TAS episodes dozens of times. The you'll be able to define Star Trek for yourself, and more germane to the current discussion, you'll be able to define TOS and the characters therein and see just how many liberties Abrams is taking.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Captain

Quote:

Based on your complaining, he's doing somewhat just that.

I think what JB is saying is that history as we knew it is being re-written. Kirk was a Lieutanant Commander and served on 2 other ships before he even saw the Enterprise... not anymore. He and Pike never served aboard the same ship... not anymore. I could go on but I've spoiled enough. Just reading the narratives of the footage that was shown, my heart sank thinking about how much of Trek history had been changed. You cannot compare this to Batman, or James Bond. Star Trek has become an established universe with generally accepted strings of historical events. For a lot of us, rewriting Trek history is like re-writing The Bible. Changing the interactions of all the characters... yeah, it makes a better story but that's not the point here. Maybe it would have been a better story if Abraham had actually sacrificed Isaac to the L-rd and then had another son, or if Esau really received his father's blessing and Jacob slaughtered him out of vengence... but that is not the point!

If you want to tell a better story, then invent new characters and new circumstances and tell a different story!

Now, whatever happens, I am going to see this move because I need to see how this whole thing plays out and I am not going to pre-judge the whole thing. All I'm saying is that based on what I've seen so far, I am disappointed in the concept of what was done.

That, and I don't want to have to buy a new phaser.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Captain

JB- we wrote our responses at the same time- I just took longer! I agree with you 10000%
Old 11-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Commander

Quote:
From what I've read about the trailer and the preview that Abrams and Pegg showed, it sounds like they really screwed up a lot of the characters. Young Kirk and Young Spock seem very out of character. Pike's involvement in things directly contradicts on screen canon from TOS. And so on and so on. My hopes for the movie being a good Star Trek movie about the characters from TOS keeps sinking. If Abrams wanted to do something this different, why didn't he have the balls to really do something different. Why do Star Trek and change so much that it's no longer Star Trek?

So far the only thing I'm happy with is how competent Uhura is portrayed.
OH DEAR LORD! Someone get this kid his bottle!
Seriously, everyone needs to chill.
NOONE WANT TO SEE SOME MOVIE WITH OLD STYLE SHIPS AND BEEPS AND CRANKS.
THEY WANT A FUTURISTIC STORY OF WHAT THE FUTURE SHOULD BE.