The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > Voyager > If we could go back in time and re-do Voyager....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Commander

I'd have gone to the end of the Bajoran Wormhole.
Tis' closer.

and I would have made the Borg much more sinister. Just like evil in space, every time Voyager ran into them there would be hell to pay.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
I'd have gone to the end of the Bajoran Wormhole.
Tis' closer.
Actually, it's believed to have been roughly the same distance due to how deeply the Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant and how deeply in the Gamma Quadrant the Bajoran Wormhole ended.

Personally, what I would have done with VOYwas lose the whole "lost in space" idea. Space is big enough that it really wasn't necessary to strand the ship 70-75 years from home. The ship could have been on a deep-space mission at the farthest edge of Federation space in the Alpha Quadrant when the series started--close enough that they would still be in communications contact with the Federation, but too far away to return home to be of any timely help during the Dominion War.

Rather than the Maquis, I would have a few Federation colonists join the Voyager crew after an initial crisis thinned the ship's ranks in the pilot. The biggest problem many of these new recruits would have is their unfamiliarity with "the Starfleet way" as many grew up on frontier worlds that more closely resembled the 20th-Century than the 24th-Century.

The Klingons and the Gorn would each have a settlement near this distant part of the Federation frontier, but the main villain would be a new adversary that uses a never before encountered organic-based technology to counter (if not defeat) most of the Voyager's Federation tech...
Old 11-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
You need to watch more VOY. There are many episodes where the crew is searching for supplies and raw materials. Same goes for episode regarding the very limited supply of energy.
Insignificant references only.

The ship was basically perfect every week.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:31 AM
Lieutenant

I agree with one post which was the reset button. Where were the solar sails to generate power (STIV)?

Where were the alliances with Alien races to help (apart from one off episodes)?

Why did everything have to be "Fixed" with an epiode or two (year of hell or scorpien as examples)

Why not have Janeway in Sick bay for half a season and see how command changes or effected by the two crews?
Old 11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Commander

Voyager should have made Year of Hell a season long arc. The way the Equinox was when they found that is a much more realistic notion of what should have happened to voyager over the years as well getting steadily damaged and making hard choices and morally amiguous decisions.

Guess it was all under the curse of syndicated television, can never have any major changes to the status quo that would confuse the casual audiance.

The whole Marquis storyline was always so watered down, there was potential for some really good conflict between the 2 crews that was never properly explored... closest I thought to being like that was Worst Case Scenario and that was a flippin holodeck episode.

I don't think the Borg got overused, they just became kittens and practically got bullied by Voyager, when Janeway, Tores and Tuvok got assimilated in Unimatrix Zero I remember being so annoyed as it was so 'all in a days work', basically it secured the Borgs transition from scariest strongest threat to the Federation to being on the same level as the Cardassians and Klingons.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:21 PM
Lieutenant

Well, the main issue was that Voyager's crew's mixed pasts and the realities of living out in the middle of phuck all nowhere were not addressed enough nor made interesting.

It's a shame Ron Moore left the show

Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Admiral

Default it's only my opinion but...

I'd leave it alone. It was a great series along with Enterprise.

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Old 11-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Fleet Admiral

While Ron Moore wrote some terrific scripts and a literal season-spanning Year of Hell story arc might have been nice, Moore never had Roddenberry's imaginative vision that the future might be significantly different from our present.
Dark and gritty Trek is fine as long as it is done like in Drumhead or In the Pale Moonlight, to show how fragile this bright future can be, but doing it just for its own sake * la Moore is not what Trek is about.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Lieutenant

I agree with you, but I think the writing team was a lot worse off without him. And let's face it; if any Trek pre-Enterprise should have been gritty, it was Voyager.

* Catastrophic anomaly accident
* Lost with limited energy and provisions
* Some of the crew comprised of criminals (!)

If anything was to strain Gene's bright, cooperative future it was Voyager's setup, and they barely touched on any of those issues. Instead we got fscking Space Nazis (again) and the superpowerful alien quadrant overlords of the week.

~

I understand Voyager was basically to throw a bone to UPN when it was getting started, right? And since it was a show for network TV, the episodes had to be fairly self-contained to allow for running them in any order in syndication.

That said, by the end of DS9 that was basically thrown to the wind and people loved it. Voyager just got lazy.

It was also a travesty how the neutered the Borg.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Ensign

I agree that the Borg had been neutered like they had Bob Barker running the show. In an attempt to get a recurring threat they gave us the Hirogen (weak) and species 8472. 8472 was interesting because they really started off nasty but then Bob Barker got to them as well.

That being said, there were some truly exceptional episodes and as a time traveler I would point them out as examples on how to do things right. Mentioned earlier was the 2 part episode Equinox. It worked great as a what if ethical decision type episode. There was also the first episode that introduced species 8472. A very dark enemy that showed so much promise to be a real threat only to be ruined in later episodes. Year of hell also held so much promise and while it was good they could have and should have made a complete season of it. Missed opportunity. My exceptional episodes are more personal in scope for the crew or individuals. 1st would be the episode where the doc's memories were being erased only to discover it was the captain because he was having an ethical crisis that almost destroyed him. Excellent episode and I would have loved to see more like that. 2nd was again an ethical one involving the doctor and dealing with family and death. The 3rd is because of the interesting concept and choice of actors. David Hyde Pierce (Niles Crane from Frasier) playing a 24th century Borg. Not only touching but like the previous 2, very well acted.
Give us more like these. They are lost in the Delta Quadrant. Not every episode will have a happy ending. Like City on the Edge of Forever, not all great science fiction has to be all happy at the end. The ones that stay with us are the ones that affect us on a personal level. Farscape did that as well including were Chrichton messes up the past and ends up getting the women of the monastery killed. Many episodes of Voyager did not do that. I always felt that Voyager for the most part was playing it safe.