The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > help
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
I just hope your teacher doesn't recomend a psychiatric profile on you for your violent work of art. Personally, I love this stuff and you'd get full marks for creative thinking from me.
The commission requests I get every day are for far more violent fare than this.

Sorry I'm late, Mattieau, but I do have some thoughts. I'll give you some general rules of thumb to start with.

From the short story and novel writer's perspective: Depict as many of the five senses as you can in as few words as you can, in each new scene.

From the screenwriter's perspective: Wherever possible, use active verbs. That means that any phrase that starts with "is" or "was" and ends with "-ing" gets replaced with the active form. "is walking" becomes "strides" or "shuffles" or "ambles" or "stumbles," for example. "...was thinking" becomes "thought" or "mused" or "pondered" or "considered."

From your work specifically: A short story -- i.e., any story less than 50,000 words in length -- does not have chapters. It may have different scenes, and each new scene should begin by establishing time and/or place, because either one or both will have changed (otherwise, it isn't really a new scene.)

If this is something you're only ever going to do for the classroom, these things are important because they mean the difference between an A and something less. If you intend to make a living of this, these things are the difference between a sale and an overdue electric bill.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Captain

I also have some tips on plotting -- but teaching you how to do everything I know how to do will cost a little coin.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."