The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Concerning the comparison shots of Spock And Kirk (Nimoy/Shatner&Quinto/Pine)....
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Commander

Default Concerning the comparison shots of Spock And Kirk (Nimoy/Shatner&Quinto/Pine)....

You know, the two photos taken from a bird's eye perspective? I believe I recall the first one being on the cover of TV Guide many years ago, but that's neither here nor there. The point I wanted to make about the photos was this: Nimoy looks much more like a believable alien than Quinto does. Nimoy's sharp features and long aqualine facial structure, coupled with the raised eyebrows and pointed ears, really give him an otherworldly look. I think TOS's success, and Spocks popularity during that time was partially due to the fact that in that makeup, Nimoy does look as though he could have been born on another world. When I see Nimoy out of the makeup, he just looks like another ordinary human being, but when you combine that face, with his Star Trek makeup job, well, it's like Scotty said to Kirk when Kirk was exploring his Romulan side in "The Enterprise Incident": "Ya' look like the Devil himself".
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Well...I remember reading that Roddenberry had worked with Nimoy on The Lieutenant and told him he wanted to do a TV show and cast Nimoy as an alien...so, early on, Roddenberry must have seen something in Nimoy that suggested "alien" potential.

I'm holding out the hope that a lot of the publicity shots we've seen of Quinto are very far post production and so, he's been somewhat "forced" back into the character. The hair is obviously a wig, the eyebrows obviously airbrushed....

I'm hoping when we see Quinto truly inhabiting the role, it will feel right. And, if you look at the shots from the movie (the bridge shot and the "choking Kirk" shot) he does look much better.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Commander

You're right, the movie shots are much more realistic than the publicity stills. The one of Spock choking Kirk is really cool, Quinto's facial expression is much like Nimoy's Spock in the moments when his anger rose to the surface. Like in "This Side Of Paradise", "All Our Yesterdays" and "Amok Time".
Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Captain

I'd say the same. The difference between Quinto's Spock in the publicity stills and in the screen captures on set is striking. In the pub stills, to my critical eye, he looks too "smooth", meaning that literally it almost looks like an image of Quinto's face was projected onto a smooth surface. Why the difference? Who knows? Was it an early pre-pre-production makeup job? Was it just Quinto's normal face, photomanipulated? Was it just the lighting?

Whatever it was, the on-set snapshots are a world better.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Commander

In the publicity stills, it almost looks like they took a wax figure of Quinto as Spock, out of Madame Tussad's wax museum and placed it in the photo. The smoothness is that eerie.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:53 AM
Fleet Admiral

It's no surprise Quinto's hair (wig) and eyebrows look different, since he couldn't keep the Spock look forever -- he had to get back to filming HEROES.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Lieutenant Commander

If they show the Enterprise in the trailer, I expect every Star Trek forum to explode with excitement/anger/violence, especially Trek BBS and Ex Astris Scientia.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Fleet Admiral

If they show the trailer period, I expect some people to blow their gaskets about ... anything. Seems to be inevitable.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-09-2008, 10:47 AM
Captain

Take that as a good sign, though -- it means that we still care enough to say something. It's when we shrug and say, "So? Who cares?" that they've lost us.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I'm all for fans staying engaged and discussing the pros and cons of releases. I just see no point in those who slam ANYTHING new automatically without considering or knowing the full context -- I notice this happens a great deal with trailers, where naysayers fill in the gaps of what they don't understand with invective.

Engaged and involved discussion is great, rants not so much.