The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > but what about the kids...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 11:49 PM
Commander

Default but what about the kids...

kind of figured this reached into "target audience" zones. BUT, i was wondering how they plan to reach out to kids who's first reaction to hearing "Star trek" is 60's nerd show with no point.

obviously, you a have a lot of girls reading certain things, mainly "People" magazine (at least that's what I've seen, it may be different internationally)
ao? How exactly does JJ hope to reach out to what WILL be his most complicated audience?
Old 11-08-2008, 04:57 AM
Ensign

pictures of kirk topless?
Old 11-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well my guess is add a light saber.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 AM
Lieutenant

pictures of kirk with shirt half ripped off?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Vice Admiral

who knows

Old 11-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
kind of figured this reached into "target audience" zones. BUT, i was wondering how they plan to reach out to kids who's first reaction to hearing "Star trek" is 60's nerd show with no point.
That assumes that kids of TODAY would even associate TREK with the 1960s, since it was 30+ years before their time.

Adults associate it with the 60s because that era is much more within their realm of experience, even if they didn't live it. They get the historical references if nothing else.

Kids today would most likely know TREK from one thing: television. They'd probably know TNG better than any other version since it's had the most airplay in general... just like many of my generation know TOS from its syndication run, especially if we were a shade too young to have watched it as a network series.

They might also know the movies from TV/cable, and perhaps DVDs. But I doubt "the 60s" is the first thing that pops into the minds of kids today when they here TREK, because so little of the franchise actually hails from that decade (79 episodes, that's all).

In general, I also think the "nerd" stigma is much more a concern for adults who lived (through) it in the 70s or 80s when TREK resurgence created a pop subculture with the advent of conventions and such. To me, the term "nerd" has become rather dated with the explosion of sci-fi and genre entertainment permeating culture today.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-08-2008, 02:57 PM
Lieutenant

Add in a healthy dose of action. (I know, I know..but that is clearly where this film is going) make some younger, good looking folks take these roles on, stir in some 2008 special effects, and add a touch of snarkiness to the dialogue.

Lastly, juice the whole thing in the juicer and spend a ton of cash promoting it.

Then you have 15-25 year olds lined up with us oldys (ha!...38 here) outside waiting for tickets. That's clearly what JJ has done IMHO.

Maybe not the Trek I want, but they have made it clear it's for the non-fan also.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 AM
Fleet Admiral

There are kids in the film... young Kirks, young Spock, young vulcan bullies... I think most kids will see themselves (partially) in one of them.

"English! I thought I dreamed hearing it!"?
Khan, Space Seed (TOS)

Brought to you in living color by NCC.
-= first fan member =-

Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm wondering about how old the "kids" are supposed to be that this movie will appeal to. If the description of the trailer (extended teaser?) posted on AICN is accurate, there is a scene with a woman taking her top off. I wonder how adult oriented this new age Trek is going to be. Will we actually see Captain Kirk work his mojo with some alien hottie sans clothing? If so, I would not want my 14 or 15 year old going to see it for a couple more years. But that's just me. There's already too much of that on TV for our kids to watch as it is. Technically, with the exception of T'Pol, there has been no real nudity in Star Trek in it's entire 40 year existence. Sexy girls, revealing outfits, yes. But that's it. I watch TOS with my 4 y/o son all the time and he loves it. And I have no problem letting him watch it. If they start moving in that direction with this movie, my son may have to wait until I can get the DVD and edit out the raunch before he can see it. Any opinions on this?
Old 11-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Don't pander to kids.

They have Harry Potter and loads of other stuff.

Star Trek should be intelligent adult fare.