The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Orci: 50% of the effects; could return for XII
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Which thing begs the question: Why don't they just go ahead and release it in December?
Paramount made their reasons very clear in February when they changed the date to May:

1) They had so much confidence in the film, they wanted it to be a summer "tentpole" film for the studio.

2) Due to the writers strike, the studio had a glut of films rushed into production for release in 2008, and too few films to release in 2009. This is a case of sheer economics: too many films in one year makes a studio's own films compete with each other and thus reduce their potential at the box office; too few films in another year reduces the studio's overall market share against other competitors.

Neither of those conditions have changed, which is why TREK won't/can't be moved back to December again. And the earlier point is true: once Paramount closed the door on a December release, they can't open it again since the marketing for TREK was put on the 2009 schedule.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Fleet Admiral

MrQ - yep, I work in that area and have generally worked in and around the industry for years. Doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I learn and hear enough to pass along a few insights.

You and everyone are welcome to PM me anytime.

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
MrQ - yep, I work in that area and have generally worked in and around the industry for years. Doesn't make me an expert by any means, but I learn and hear enough to pass along a few insights.

You and everyone are welcome to PM me anytime.
Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
This time? The last movie Nemesis didn't reuse any sfx to my knowledge....And what did Insurection reuse?
When I posted this Kallen, No thought of any other Trek movie, other than Star Trek XI and Star Trek XII, ever entered my mind. I meant that it's cool that all of the special effects in Star Trek XI, would be new and freshly squeezed for Star Trek XI, and nothing more. I wasn't comparing it with older films like Nemesis, only with it's potential sequel, and itself. And not suggesting that this would be the first time that a Trek film was ever made with sparkling, minty fresh ship shots.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Fleet Admiral

IIRC, Star Trek The Motion Picture was fresh in the can, and in Robert Wise's hands when he premiered the movie (I think in Washington D.C.). The visual effects had literally been completed and edited into the film mere days before the premiere.

You could even see in some of the effects where the rush took its toll. Even though the Klingon sequence at the beginning of the film is the best ten minutes of the movie, you can see in the opening seconds that we see the three battlecruisers where the FX were a little rushed.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

True, but that 'rush' was largely due to the first efx company (Robert Abel & Assoc) being fired from the project after it became clear they could never fulfill the effects shot volume required by the film on-time. Several companies split up the remaining shots, and at least one re-shot many of the effects to meet specs and/or match new footage.

This certainly won't be the case with Abrams' film as ILM has it under control.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
True, but that 'rush' was largely due to the first efx company (Robert Abel & Assoc) being fired from the project after it became clear they could never fulfill the effects shot volume required by the film on-time. Several companies split up the remaining shots, and at least one re-shot many of the effects to meet specs and/or match new footage.

This certainly won't be the case with Abrams' film as ILM has it under control.
Indeed. With TMP, they had to call in John Dykstra very late in the game when it turned out that the RA&A footage was completely subpar and unusable.