The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > theory of why kirk crawls out of an esc pod
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaman View Post
Kirk is on a real mission to rescue Captain Pike on Rura Penthe. That's why Spocks threatened him with physical violence. We all know Spock is loyal to Captain Pike!
Rura Penthe! That named had slipped my mind.

Anyway, if you were being sent on a mission to a frozen moon that is little more than hunk of ice, wouldn't you dress for the occasion? Maybe Kirk is carrying some cold weather gear in that bag on his back, but it would have made more sense worn from the very beginning.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Kirk is on a real mission to rescue Captain Pike on Rura Penthe. That's why Spocks threatened him with physical violence. We all know Spock is loyal to Captain Pike!
Wasn't Captain Pike all burned and in that wheelchair thing before Kirk and Spock served together on the Enterprise? I am not certain if this, but I think that is the way it was explained in that TOS episode.

I just read the episode synopsis on StarTrek.com and I was wrong. There is nothing that says Pike was crippled prior to Kirk and Spock serving together. In fact I just realized Pike served as Captain on the Enterprise just prior to Kirk taking command. So my original thought was all out of whack!!! Please ignore this post

Last edited by MrQ1701 : 11-03-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Lieutenant

That had happened not too long before the episode.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Captain

I think the whole crew got together and kicked that annoying putz off the ship after he tried to sing.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:

I disagree with the Rura Penthe thing....but I agree that Kirk is resuing Pike.

In the episode The Mengarie, Kirk says he met Pike when Pike was made Captain of the Fleet.

My theory is that before the "command hand off" Kirk is assigned to spend a short time onboard with Pike in command to observe the crew and get a feel for the situation. It's supposed to be a quick, simple mission...think Generations.....Pike is captured and Kirk goes against the wishes of the Second in Command (which should not be Spock!!) to stage a rescue.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-03-2008, 09:06 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
My theory is that before the "command hand off" Kirk is assigned to spend a short time onboard with Pike in command to observe the crew and get a feel for the situation. It's supposed to be a quick, simple mission...think Generations.....Pike is captured and Kirk goes against the wishes of the Second in Command (which should not be Spock!!) to stage a rescue.
Interesting theory! I like it. Sounds like it fits in nicely to the already established "canon".

Why should Spock NOT be second in command under Pike?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I don't think Kirk would abandon ship until it is certain that it will be destroyed - and we know that the Enterprise isn't destroyed in this movie - that's in III

My theory about the black shirt is that it is the shirt that is worn under the gold shirt. The gold shirt probably got torn off during a fist fight.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:42 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Wasn't Captain Pike all burned and in that wheelchair thing before Kirk and Spock served together on the Enterprise? I am not certain if this, but I think that is the way it was explained in that TOS episode.

I just read the episode synopsis on StarTrek.com and I was wrong. There is nothing that says Pike was crippled prior to Kirk and Spock serving together. In fact I just realized Pike served as Captain on the Enterprise just prior to Kirk taking command. So my original thought was all out of whack!!! Please ignore this post
If it helps, according to the Okuda timeline (grains of salt available in the lobby): Kirk takes over command of the Enterprise in 2264, or at least that's when his five-year mission begins; Pike is exposed to delta-rays on the ship accident in 2266. Pike's last five-year mission ended in 2261, when the E was spacedocked for a major refit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I disagree with the Rura Penthe thing....but I agree that Kirk is resuing Pike.

In the episode The Mengarie, Kirk says he met Pike when Pike was made Captain of the Fleet.

That all sounds highly plausible, not to mention very entertaining! Well done.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aef6259 View Post
I don't think Kirk would abandon ship until it is certain that it will be destroyed - and we know that the Enterprise isn't destroyed in this movie - that's in III.
I agree with this statement. That is why I believe an escape pod was the only "vehicle" able to evade detection and provide transport for Kirk in order for him to begin/complete his mission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aef6259 View Post
My theory about the black shirt is that it is the shirt that is worn under the gold shirt. The gold shirt probably got torn off during a fist fight.
This is also a great idea, but I think Kirk would have replaced the torn shirt at some point. It is very exciting to see how many of our predictions are least sort of close!!!
Old 11-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
Rura Penthe! That named had slipped my mind.

Anyway, if you were being sent on a mission to a frozen moon that is little more than hunk of ice, wouldn't you dress for the occasion? Maybe Kirk is carrying some cold weather gear in that bag on his back, but it would have made more sense worn from the very beginning.
Yep. Had the same thought. But Kirk does indeed have some cold weather gear on when he is attacked by a creature.

And why is the pod in a hole in the first place?

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!