The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > General Star Trek Discussions > TV Shows > The Next Generation > Why You Love Q
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 10:49 AM
Ensign

Post Why You Love Q

Captain Jean-Luc Picard is an amazing, perfect human being. The essential Roddenberry human being. The model. Through Patrick Stewert's performance, the concept of citizen perfect is never boring, but it's easy to see how it could be.

Q brought out Picard's humanity more than any other antagonist. Q got him angry. Q made him desperate. Q made him PISSED OFF. And that was the true glee for us watching Q. Everybody says "I love Q!" But what I think what they're really saying is "I love Q and Picard because Picard never EVER gets to be so human."

This is why Picard needed a Q movie. When it's time to park a ship and sail onto a movie screen, a perfect man will become dull to watch. He needs something to really get under his pants and burn that backside. It's what they tried in FIRST CONTACT, but putting Picard into an action role just feels forced (when looking for action in a ST movie, you need JIM KIRK).

Picard's true menace is Q. Any other antagonist just isn't working. The Borg is a popular staple lots of people will cite, but in the end, Picard beat the Borg and didn't need a movie to do it.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I agree, since TNG started and ended with humanity's trial and the war between Picard's humanity and Q, we should have had a movie with Q in it. He is such a likeable character and his interactions and hatred from the whole crew made his occasional visits so dramatic.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Rear Admiral

I agree, and John did a great job as "Q". I do not think anyone else could have played that role any better than he did.

TNG had a lot of villains and menaces they could have used for the movies after the Borg were used.

"Q" was top of my list, hoping the movie after First Contact was going to have "Q" in it, but the dream was shattered.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Lieutenant

Microbrain

nuff said

HardyCofE
Old 02-04-2008, 01:57 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir num nums View Post
I agree, and John did a great job as "Q". I do not think anyone else could have played that role any better than he did.

TNG had a lot of villains and menaces they could have used for the movies after the Borg were used.

"Q" was top of my list, hoping the movie after First Contact was going to have "Q" in it, but the dream was shattered.
Agreed, Insurrection was an utter waste imo, and Nemesis was simply average. Maybe TNG crew can get a proper send-off with Q, but with the current state of the franchise, I don't see Abrams or anyone else moving for a new TNG-era movie in the near future, and in a couple years I fear much of the cast will be too old for a proper "burial."
Old 02-04-2008, 05:34 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Q gave Picard so much possibilities at the end of All Good Things. If you guys remember when he's about to whisper in Picard's ear to answer what life and all of his journeys meant he just says "you'll find out"

Plus the torment he gives Picard and Worf are worth watching any day Not to mention when he gives Data the ability to laugh lmao!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Ensign

Cool

Everything that everybody has said about Q is totally true, and I agree with all of it. I feel like everyone has just said everything there is to say about Q, so I don't know what to add. lol.

I was really hoping for a Q movie as well. Hell, I wanted more Q in the series. I could never get enough of Mr. De Lancie; I still can't get enough. He just has the coolest character ever, and he's a phenomenal actor. Most people I know really despise Q, but I just really love what he is, and how he's always challenging Picard to think outside of his prim and proper box. I loved Q with Janeway as well, they were a lot of fun together, especially in 'The Q and the Gray'. They weren't as much fun Q and Picard, but I still had a blast with him in Voyager. (The few times he showed up, anyway.)

Bottom line: AMAZING CHARACTER.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM
Ensign

i too still have this dream of one more TNG movie with Q as one of the main characters. Not really the antagonist of the film..but ultimately helping to save the day as he did a few times....but only after having Picard and the crew pulling their hair out!

I REALLY wish we got one last TNG film to tie everything up. The tagline for Nemesis was "A generation's final journey begins." NOT "a generation's journey is complete."

I also though Insurrection was the worst of the TNG films. I dont understand why everyone hates Nemesis so much.

Someone please rally the TNG troops and produce one last film with the next 5 years or so!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Midshipman

I think that Q was a great character in the way that he did everything. From the first time that we meet him. I really thought that the character was funny in alot of ways. but very serious too.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Midshipman

Q is hands down the best char in Star Trek Cannon. I agree with everyone that said he should have been in one of the movies. they still could make a movie based on Q and bring back some old and new char IMHO.