The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Sexy Prof Strips for Students & Halloween Spooks School Board
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Who cares about it anyway? Christmas, Easter and Halloween are a commercial event anyway, so who cares about the name when its only significance is creating demand for costumes, easter eggs or presents?
Manufacturers of holiday items like candy, toys, costumes and decorations sure wish we all thought that way, but all of us don't. Some of us still have respect toward our own traditions, religious practices, beliefs and rituals. These things are important to us. I buy toys if I want to play, I buy a costume if i want to dress up, I buy decorations if I wish to be decorative. But when it comes to the holidays I celebrate, I have respect to the traditions of my forefathers and to my God and try my best to keep those traditions alive. These days mean more to me than just stuff I can buy, I assure you. I'm not a Wiccan, or a Druid, I personally celebrate Halloween for fun. It's a day you can have a lot of fun on and you don't have to get busted for malicious mischeif or really try too hard to do it. Some of my Pagan friends really take the holiday a lot more seriously than that. When it comes to Christmas and Easter, then it's me being serious and them having a bit of a lark I suppose. But these days are more important to us than just the neat stuff we can buy. I realize it might be difficult for someone who does not believe, to understand this. But I hope you will try.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:55 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Manufacturers of holiday items like candy, toys, costumes and decorations sure wish we all thought that way, but all of us don't. Some of us still have respect toward our own traditions, religious practices, beliefs and rituals. These things are important to us. I buy toys if I want to play, I buy a costume if i want to dress up, I buy decorations if I wish to be decorative. But when it comes to the holidays I celebrate, I have respect to the traditions of my forefathers and to my God and try my best to keep those traditions alive. These days mean more to me than just stuff I can buy, I assure you. I'm not a Wiccan, or a Druid, I personally celebrate Halloween for fun. It's a day you can have a lot of fun on and you don't have to get busted for malicious mischeif or really try too hard to do it. Some of my Pagan friends really take the holiday a lot more seriously than that. When it comes to Christmas and Easter, then it's me being serious and them having a bit of a lark I suppose. But these days are more important to us than just the neat stuff we can buy. I realize it might be difficult for someone who does not believe, to understand this. But I hope you will try.
Sorry that you got me wrong. In fact I wanted to express annoyance that most people think Easter is about seeking eggs and not about the resurrection of Christ.
And while I am an agnostic, finding some peaceful and contemplative moments is preferable to the buying presents hysteria during Advent.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:22 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Sorry that you got me wrong. In fact I wanted to express annoyance that most people think Easter is about seeking eggs and not about the resurrection of Christ.
And while I am an agnostic, finding some peaceful and contemplative moments is preferable to the buying presents hysteria during Advent.
No worries. And I understand about the need for contemplation and reflective solitude. You know what makes me happiest on Christmas? It isn't the food, (although that's usually pretty doggone good!), or the presents (I'm just as happy when they're aren't any.), or the decorations. What makes me the happiest is that every year, at midnight on Christmas Eve, I go out under the stars (or clouds), no matter the weather, and say a prayer, and wish my Lord Jesus a happy birthday. That means the world to me.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Fleet Admiral

This linked uproar about Halloween is especially ridiculous in regards to the U.S. observation of the holiday, which has so very little to do with the actual cultural and religious meaning and rites of pagan and other groups.

So much of America's version of Halloween today is a mishmash conglomeration of imagery and folklore which only dimly resemble the meaning and observance of their origins. It's rather like complaining that "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is an offensively inaccurate depiction of the birth of Christ. Though a very rhyming one!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattieau View Post
I just think its funny that jerhanners a girl and shes all for stripping teachers xD
I've never had to censor myself online like I do on this board - warping your fragile little minds is something I must avoid.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Lieutenant

Don't worry Jerhanner, homework and video games have warped my mind to both extremes of the spectrum already. Anything you do to my brain would only be an improvement.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Vice Admiral

just don't let this happen to you!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Lieutenant

hahah i have actually seen that episode of south park "Make love not warcraft" the character spend the whole episode fighting him in the game and get to the highest level and get the best stuff and then they finally defeat him. The final line of the episode is "And now we can finally play the game...." hilarious