The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Confused Matthew: Star Trek Pre-review 2009
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Hes entitled to his opinion, Actually heres my take. The folks who grew up on The Original
brand are like in the 35-50 age demographic. And that includes me. Many of us have children in the 10-16 range. I see this as a nostalgia experience for us elders and a new introduction to the youngerins. You ever try to get your 8 year old to watch the original,
Barney has better special effects.

I consider myself a avid fan and can hold my own in any Trek discussion. So I know all the avid fans, and of cource the very dedicated fans who carry bodly the Trek torch upon their shoulder will defiantely be there, probably multiple times. If JJ can inject enough slick and cool and capture what made Trek great it WILL appeal to a larger audiance IMO and suceed in injecting the juice we so desperately need to get this going again.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Captain

Yes, very contradictory. He recognizes that appealing to existing fans is vital to getting the theaters filled, but then turns around and urges the writers not to appeal to the existing fans.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Lieutenant

not JUST appeal to the existing fans
Old 11-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Ensign

I don't really see how it's contradictory to say that trying to please one of the two ( this is admittedly narrow) types of Star Trek fans will result in no one being happy due to the fact that both of these groups do not care about a new TOS movie for various reasons, and it's better to focus on making a good film in general rather than a good Trek film that follows Canon to the T.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAndout View Post
I don't really see how it's contradictory to say that trying to please one of the two ( this is admittedly narrow) types of Star Trek fans will result in no one being happy due to the fact that both of these groups do not care about a new TOS movie for various reasons, and it's better to focus on making a good film in general rather than a good Trek film that follows Canon to the T.
I agree. A good, simple story, well told, is what is needed.

I suspect that as far as Canon (or Continuity) is concerned, it'll look very different, but the story should fit in with established events and characters.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Vice Admiral

Phaige- Of course he (confused Matthew) is entitled to his opinion, everyone is. I just don't agree with his opinion (which is my opinion!) It seems many also do NOT agree with Confused Matthew.

OneBuck- You hit the nail on the head! I agree with you 100%
Old 11-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I am not "canonite". I do pick up on many of the errors in the writing, but they usually don't bother me. I really enjoyed ST:Enterprise so you can see the new look was NOT an issue for me (I did snap the NX-01 was an Akira rip-off when I saw the ship the very first time)

I would hope they would see it was the same ship...
It was so obvious. If you had never noticed the Akira you might not notice either.

Quote:
I have never worn a costume. For many years I had a TNG communicator on my leather jacket. Many people recognized it as being from Trek, others did not. I also wore an "assimilate this" t-shirt with a big picture of Worf on the front to the opening of First Contact. I have been to only one convention in my entire life! Only because they are not popular around here and I can not afford to travel very far to go to one.
I like the Voyager DS9 style the best...or even the 29 century uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ1701 View Post
I want to get a Star Trek: First Contact type uniform. I want a good reproduction of the actual costumes worn by the actors, not just a cheap Holloween costume.

Same goes for an Obi-Wan type Jedi costume to include the cloak.
Looks black suit was awesome...I loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
Hes entitled to his opinion, Actually heres my take. The folks who grew up on The Original
brand are like in the 35-50 age demographic. And that includes me. Many of us have children in the 10-16 range. I see this as a nostalgia experience for us elders and a new introduction to the youngerins. You ever try to get your 8 year old to watch the original,
Barney has better special effects.
Thank goodness for the remastered series...and you know it does make it that much better.

I consider myself a avid fan and can hold my own in any Trek discussion. So I know all the avid fans, and of cource the very dedicated fans who carry bodly the Trek torch upon their shoulder will defiantely be there, probably multiple times. If JJ can inject enough slick and cool and capture what made Trek great it WILL appeal to a larger audiance IMO and suceed in injecting the juice we so desperately need to get this going again.
I agree...make it cool and intresting...keep the lingo down to a min.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Yes, very contradictory. He recognizes that appealing to existing fans is vital to getting the theaters filled, but then turns around and urges the writers not to appeal to the existing fans.
And this makes no sense to me. I think there is room for both. Do a little manuvering and viola....the perfectly balanced movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanAndout View Post
Not one of the two fans....that's not contradictory.
It's contradictory to see the need to appeal to the fans but then not to give the fans what they want which is as a whole....consistently....continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
I agree. A good, simple story, well told, is what is needed.

I suspect that as far as Canon (or Continuity) is concerned, it'll look very different, but the story should fit in with established events and characters.
If you have a good story...an amazing story...I can forgive...Kahn remembering Checkov when they never met. But I prefer they're not to be a watch in a movie who's era is placed in Roman Times....

Consistency is important but not the end all.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Consistency is important but not the end all.
Unless one is making custard!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 11-06-2008, 05:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

I wouldn't know actually.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Federation Councillor

It's a fine line to try to widen something's appeal while not leaving out the existing support base, It's a simple fact IMO, and as I've said elsewhere they will NEVER please everyone - I don't even think they should try. Fans will like it or not. But it's the box office that will decide what happens next.