The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Target audience
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2008, 02:52 AM
Rear Admiral

I dunno. I kinda look at it as "Yes, this is the official website," but that doesn't mean too much. I guess the reason I look at it that way because of startrek.com. Startrek.com was the official Paramount website, but other websites routinely leaked new information and photos before it did...
Old 11-02-2008, 04:45 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Here are my 2 quatloos, and hopefully you'll find related to the thread...

I think Paramount's especially (not exclusively) trying to reach those unfamiliar w/ Star Trek, or who never dug it... This may be part of the reason for the reinvention. Also, might explain any prioritization of target-market attention, if any. They know that even those Fans disturbed by the divergence from 'canon' will still see the Film, and will re-see it and eventually purchase the take-home media as well.

The last few movies diminished in box-office money, so I'd think it obvious a 're-fit' of the franchise was indicated - and in this case, TOS. And those changes may allure those who were never 'onboard'.

Just my opinion, respectfully offered.
Old 11-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Yeah...meaning, we had to be watching other sites to get the goods....even if it's a matter of moments, shouldn't this board get some pictures first or, at least, at the same time from official sources?
Which was the point of driving traffic to those sites NOW, to broaden the dissemination of future TREK news through a lot of websites, not just the official one.

Quote:
Is anyone asking for ALL the pics to debut here? No...just that at least ONCE it would be nice if we didn't learn about an amazing new picture because someone has subscribed to another site. Shouldn't those who enhabit the Paramount site get some consideration from Paramount?
Who says the official site WON'T be delivering exclusives, just because they didn't with the FIRST SET OF PHOTOS RELEASED? This is the beginning of the marketing campaign, not the end.

Quote:
Giving exclusive pictures to magazines sites and other established sites is hardly "viral"...again, no request that every picture debut here...just that on occassion, those who give their time and attention to the parent board--as opposed to a fringe board--get a treat.
It's viral in the sense that it increases user awareness of a larger number of sites which will continue to deliver TREK news and releases over the next six months. More output sources = more connection to fans, both old and new. Just like people putting a YouTube video on their own blog gets that same video more hits, because it reaches more viewers who otherwise wouldn't see it on another site they don't visit regularly.

This is not an example of "mystery puzzle solving viral" marketing, it's about spreading information as broadly and quickly as possible. Advertise a movie on TV, you reach so many people who happen to be watching. Advertise it on radio, and billboards, and websites, and blogs and skywriting... you reach more people than any one pipeline can.

Quote:
That's based on what? The fact that other sites had this trailer first? Or that it was on Video On Demand first?
Sorry, you lost me here... wasn't the trailer the first thing shown on the official movie site? Not sure I understand your question.

At any rate, carry on, I said my piece. I think Paramount has been consistent for months in saying they want TREK to reach as wide an audience as possible, including existing fans. I see no surprise or "insult" to fans because they're now releasing photos which fans have been begging for for months... simply because they didn't do so by catering to fans only first.

When the official movie site debuts something new... a user here will see it there... and post a link here. Exactly the same process, but I'm still much more interested in seeing new material, and much less interested in which web domain hosts that new stuff.

Everyone else's mileage clearly varies, and that's fine.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore View Post
I dunno. I kinda look at it as "Yes, this is the official website," but that doesn't mean too much. I guess the reason I look at it that way because of startrek.com. Startrek.com was the official Paramount website, but other websites routinely leaked new information and photos before it did...
True, except these photos weren't linked. They were deliberately shared with partners... this time... by Paramount.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Lieutenant

am I the only one who hates the term "viral marketing"?
Old 11-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Commander

In order for a film to be successful, you have to appeal to Collage kids and high-schoolers. Think about it, they fell IN LOVE with TDK. Hot Topic, a pretty popular teen clothing store, is filled with Batman stuff. If Star Trek does well enough, will we see that?

What needs to happen is a generation falling in love with ST like they did with TDK. Maybe Aeropostale will stop advertising all over teens bodies and put Star Trek onsome overpriced shirts. who knows?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:10 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
am I the only one who hates the term "viral marketing"?
What do u have against viral marketing
Old 11-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

if u have a problem or worry about trek, u know who can solve it. i dont even need to say it. the "silver bullet" is all we need, u know of whom i speak
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore
True, except these photos weren't linked. They were deliberately shared with partners... this time... by Paramount.
That kinda goes back to what I was saying. The official site (regardless of what it is) is really the last place you wanna go to find new stuff first, IMO, because it usually breaks first on other websites. I think the only exception would be those official websites that are routinely frequented by actual production personnel...

I don't think anyone involved in the making of Star Trek XI has visited this site, unless they're going by an alias...
Old 11-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Commander

For me I really don't mind it because Star Trek needs new fans to keep it alive and going for years to come. I want to see more as long as they keep the spirit of the whole Star Trek world intact. There really isn't any alternative to that show out there is there?

http://www.dianahuang.com