The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Target audience
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2008, 04:22 AM
Ensign

Default Target audience

Noone on here seems to be upset that all these new pics and bits of information havent been given to 'us' the fans first.Wouldnt it be nice if the first pics of the new Enterprise were released on this official Star Trek website and not in some general magazine or TV show that we ,particularly here in the uk ,cant see.
Therefore doesnt this show what the target audience is on this film.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:15 AM
Lieutenant

I think we've known for quite some time that the producers of STXI have a broader target audience for this project. Obviously they are happy to have long-time fans get excited and talk up the film, however; the marketing campaign is likely going to target the mainstream entertainment media outlets.

That doesn't preclude them from providing some exclusive material to the long-time fans using this and other Trek based sites. That said, I'm sure the major focus is to produce as much hype across as many demographic categories as possible. After seeing the monetary successes of the Batman re-boots and Spiderman films (for example), I would think Paramount would love to have STXI tap into those audiences.

I expect a lot of hype not only geared towards us fans, but also towards teenagers etc. that might not even know what the Enterprise is - let alone what it looks like.

Due to preconceptions of what Star Trek represents, it may be difficult for Paramount to reap the rewards of say THE DARK KNIGHT. However, before this year, IRON MAN wasn't on the entertainment industry's consciousness but did quite well for itself being a highly stylistic and fun action/adventure/sci-fi movie.

With JJ on board, you have someone who introduced a sci-fi television show (LOST) that resonated with a large viewing audience and became a national phenomenon for a couple of years. Between JJ's vision and two capable writers in Orci and Kurtzman, Star Trek has the opportunity to become something larger/grander than anything we could imagine. With a perfect Hollywood storm, I could even imagine Star Trek's sequel reaching towards the heights of THE DARK KNIGHT. That might be pushing it but 'why not'? The bar has been set and don't think for a minute that Paramount won't hold this film to high standard.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Admiral

True, Chucky, but still...I think it's a tad rude to not give us something first. I hate to sound like a spoiled child, but it seems like we're here being the loyal, the true, the people who will drag a hord of reluctant friends and family to the opening night of this movie just BECAUSE!!! and we should get a treat thrown our way. It's like, all the dogs who aren't doing the tricks are getting the treats and we, sitting here perfectly in STAY position, are getting nothing....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Fleet Admiral

I'm puzzled.... did we who frequent this board see the photos any "later" than the rest of the world?

Would one online distribution of a TREK photo be any more or less "immediate" than another?

Gosh, first fans complain we have no new photos, now they complain about how they're distributed online! Can Paramount ever do ANYTHING to please a TREK fan... I wonder?

Paramount marketing has promotional partnerships with certain websites by arrangement, and these sites have been co-promoting TREK for...ever, since before filming began. So the studio gives them -- ON OCCASION -- some temporary exclusives to newly released photos to help out those sites and marketing partners for 'repayment' of work which earns no salary, to give them a boost which this official site does not rely on for income.

I don't see at all how "we" fans were prevented from seeing these new photo releases any more than the rest of the world: when a photo appears online, it's available to every single user of the internet at the same time.

How exactly were TREK fans "short changed" by releasing these pics? Our own members sure linked to them quickly, and the Forum collected links for them as well as they happened.

Plenty of new material (like the upcoming trailer) will debut on the official site soon enough, and no doubt will be linked from this board at the same time. Other such 'fan' sites will not get such exclusives, so Paramount gives them a short run of a new pic instead. I fail to see the harm in this.

I gladly invite Paramount to send me a new photo for exclusive debut on my MISSION:TREK website anytime! I'll be the first to let you all know about it right here.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I'm puzzled.... did we who frequent this board see the photos any "later" than the rest of the world?
Yes.

Most of the picture info has been through posters who've seen the pictures on other sites.

Even when the info was shared here by an admin, it was through links to other sites who'd already been provided the images.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:14 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Gosh, first fans complain we have no new photos, now they complain about how they're distributed online! Can Paramount ever do ANYTHING to please a TREK fan... I wonder?
Oh I'm sorry I thought we were posting on THE OFFICIAL STAR TREK MOVIE website.I was misled obviously ,so this is just another website not connected with paramount or Star Trek oops silly me!!!

If I remember correctly when the first pictures from the new Star Wars films were released you had to sign up on the official Star Wars website to see them .And they were posted on that website first.

All I'm saying is that we should at least be given something 'EXCLUSIVE' to reward our patience and loyalty to our favourite franchise??????

I'm not criticising Abrams or Paramount , what I'm trying to say is that it shows me that they are more interested in getting non star trek fans interested in this film than us .Which is fair enough.
Old 11-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxchiller View Post
Oh I'm sorry I thought we were posting on THE OFFICIAL STAR TREK MOVIE website.I was misled obviously ,so this is just another website not connected with paramount or Star Trek oops silly me!!!

If I remember correctly when the first pictures from the new Star Wars films were released you had to sign up on the official Star Wars website to see them .And they were posted on that website first.

All I'm saying is that we should at least be given something 'EXCLUSIVE' to reward our patience and loyalty to our favourite franchise??????

I'm not criticising Abrams or Paramount , what I'm trying to say is that it shows me that they are more interested in getting non star trek fans interested in this film than us .Which is fair enough.
In all fairness, Trek Fans have been the main audience up until the promotion stated kicking in recently. Roberto Orci was a frequenter on TrekMovie.com, posting and answering question. The same fansite also hosted the first Q&A with the entire Star Trek crew on the set of the bridge back in Februrary. Any info we've had thus far has basically been given to TM from studio sources for the fans to see first. So really, Star Trek fans have had A LOT of exclusives recently. On top of that, one of the sets of posters was given out exclusively at a Star Trek convention.
Old 11-01-2008, 06:43 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
Yes.

Most of the picture info has been through posters who've seen the pictures on other sites.

Even when the info was shared here by an admin, it was through links to other sites who'd already been provided the images.
You miss my point: as soon as the pics were available ONLINE, board members here saw them and posted links to them. We wouldn't have seen them but moments sooner had they been revealed on the TREK site instead of elsewhere. Word spreads around the net too fast to make for vast delays of breaking news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxchiller View Post

I'll repeat again: those few websites were rewarded for their work supporting the film with temporary EXCLUSIVES on releasing those photos. If the pics had debuted on the ST site first, then they wouldn't be very exclusive, would they?

This is cross-promotion marketing, reaching out to a wide variety of readerships beyond the official ST site... and since those other unofficial websites will be doing yeoman's work promoting the film for the next six months. Marketing does this FIRST so that all those sites gain readers who continue to watch for ST news... so when additional news/photos come out, as many people see it as quickly as possible. Remember the "viral marketing" JJ was talking about... this is how it begins.

NONE of that means that the ST movie site will not debut future exclusives first -- as it's almost certain the TREK trailer will debut on the ST site officially.

Maybe fans will appreciate that, since they've been begging to see it for so long?

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
You miss my point: as soon as the pics were available ONLINE, board members here saw them and posted links to them. We wouldn't have seen them but moments sooner had they been revealed on the TREK site instead of elsewhere. Word spreads around the net too fast to make for vast delays of breaking news.
Yeah...meaning, we had to be watching other sites to get the goods....even if it's a matter of moments, shouldn't this board get some pictures first or, at least, at the same time from official sources?

Quote:
I'll repeat again: those few websites were rewarded for their work supporting the film with temporary EXCLUSIVES on releasing those photos. If the pics had debuted on the ST site first, then they wouldn't be very exclusive, would they?
Is anyone asking for ALL the pics to debut here? No...just that at least ONCE it would be nice if we didn't learn about an amazing new picture because someone has subscribed to another site. Shouldn't those who enhabit the Paramount site get some consideration from Paramount?

Quote:
This is cross-promotion marketing, reaching out to a wide variety of readerships beyond the official ST site... and since those other unofficial websites will be doing yeoman's work promoting the film for the next six months. Marketing does this FIRST so that all those sites gain readers who continue to watch for ST news... so when additional news/photos come out, as many people see it as quickly as possible. Remember the "viral marketing" JJ was talking about... this is how it begins.
Giving exclusive pictures to magazines sites and other established sites is hardly "viral"...again, no request that every picture debut here...just that on occassion, those who give their time and attention to the parent board--as opposed to a fringe board--get a treat.

[quote]NONE of that means that the ST movie site will not debut future exclusives first -- as it's almost certain the TREK trailer will debut on the ST site officially.[quote]

That's based on what? The fact that other sites had this trailer first? Or that it was on Video On Demand first?

Quote:
Maybe fans will appreciate that, since they've been begging to see it for so long?
Sure...but we won't see it first.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Midshipman

Hey guys,
long time creeper, first time poster... figured it was finally time to throw in my two cents. I'll just start by saying I agree with both of you... to some extent. It should be expected that long-time hard-core trek fans, whom frequent the web and this board in search of trek news and updates should feel some entitlement to "special goodies" or easter-eggs. Over the past several months I've noticed a decent amount of pestimistic and degected post; most of which can be related back (IMHO) to paramounts attempts to broaden the target audience. It seems a great many fans (the BASE) are feeling slightly alienated for various reasons (at times my self included). To some extent this must be accepted as a stage of "growing pains" in the process of widening the base (which is nessessary if the franchise is to stay alive). The queston becomes, "HOW MUCH will they widen the base?". By its very nature, trek just isn't for everyone. In fact I would say that trek is what it is because of its history of defense against swaying with pop-culture. But hey! what do I know?