The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I can't read any more without saying this.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post I can't read any more without saying this.

I know we've got a lot of hard core fans here who want to see the same Star Trek we've all loved for many years. But lighten up already! This movie is not "throwing it all out the window" or "changing Star Trek..." or whatever. Seriously, think about it. Does this film in any way threaten all the series and movies that we already have and love? It doesn't change those things it all. It's not going to "ruin" anything. We still have those and can watch them as much as we want.

This movie is a new take on Star Trek. Yes, things are going to be different. Some minor, some major. But, do we really want everything exactly the same? That would be pretty boring. We've already seen the original series and all the movies. If this movie has any chance whatsoever to reinvigorate the franchise it MUST be different.

So what if it takes things in a new direction and creates an alternate timeline? I say bring it! We've seen all the TV shows and movies. We know the stories and we know what happens. Why bother starting over if you're just going to rehash. This is an all new Star Trek.

How many of us love Daniel Craig's Bond? He's arguably the best Bond ever. Does that take anything at all away from the original and fan-favorite Sean Connery? Absolutely not. Connery was still the original Bond. Nothing can ever change that. Now we just have more Bond movies to enjoy.

Let's try to look at Star Trek like that. We love Star Trek. Now we have an oppurtunity to see it live on when it seemed to be dead in the water for all intents and purposes.

Bring on the new Trek and the new Enterprise. It's high time we got a fresh look at an old favorite.

PS... I love the new bridge.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Now THAT's the kind of stuff that I like to hear!!!

--ADMIRAL JONATHAN ARCHER--

Old 10-30-2008, 06:15 AM
Lieutenant

Much as I agree, how many times will we have to listen to people saying the same thing?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:35 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

i totally agree with you!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Good Post....To think it wont be different is not realistic. It will be.... its fact. Now we all have 3 choices

1.Embrace it 100%
2.Keep and open mind and reserve judgment until its seen
3.Reject it now and just watch TOS remastered season 1,2,3 forever

I fall 75% in category 1 and 25% in category 2
Old 10-30-2008, 07:14 AM
Ensign

I agree, and from what I've seen I personally think they haven't changed enough of it.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:18 AM
Captain

I agree with you in everything except one point. We don't have to have an altnernate timeline. There are plenty of things they can do and plenty of adventures they can have without messing with the canon or timeline of the Star Trek we know and love. I love the Halloween movies almost as much as Star Trek. I love the original, and part 2, but on part 4 they decided to go with a differnt timeline and set of actors, then in part 7 they decided to go back. Now the fans are left with a mess. Some fans love part 1,2, 7,8, 9 while others want 1,2, 4,5, & 6. I know that the horror movies are in no way as good as Star Trek, but to their fans, it is a mess with each movie they are hoping that someone will come along and try to combine the to seperate timelines. I said that to say this, do we want seperate stories? yes, bring them on, I have an open mind!!! But do we want and welcome a different timeline? Please NO!!! It would be a mess! I am for fresh and different, as long as they don't walk all over what we do know and love...STAR TREK. In all the years George Lucas dealt with the story of Star Wars, he didn't mess with the time line. So lets not do it here!!! What do you guys think?
Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 AM
Ensign

i dont think its so much a different timeline as a parallel universe

I think the only way to have this new Trek is have the timeline changed.
Otherwise it will be TREK 2.0 which isnt good enough.

You have to think beyond this film to the next, I think this film is the story of how they all meet up and end up on the Enterprise,which could have been done without changing the timeline etc etc.Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint Paramount had had enough and probably only gave the go ahead to this film if it was a complete overhaul and not a revamp.

To use an analogy its a bit like the porsche 911 the current version looks like the original but its totally different.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Commander

First, I am looking forward to seeing what this movie will bring. A little apprehensive, but I suspect it'll be a fun movie either way.

I have a concept when it comes to interpreting Star Trek in my own mind.

I look at all of the filmed Star Trek as telling stories of a "History" of sorts, like different people telling stories of historical figures such as Hitler, Churchill, Henry VIII etc., and that what is seen on screen is an interpretation of the events.

When observed in this way, it allows for the wide disparity in the details and styles seen between the Original Series and the Movies (ST:TMP through to TUC, Gen etc.).

I've said before that there are 2 areas of "Canon"; Visual and Event (Story).

The Visual will change a great deal between incarnations and stories, and this film is no different in that regard.

The EVENTS, however, may match up with the trek we've seen before, and will thus this film, if doen right, could be considered Canon, and in line with everything else.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Ensign

I agree entirely that Trek does need a reboot to bring it up to date with modern cinema and I'm willing to see a pretty radical rethinking of TOS universe. However, as Cannibal points out, I simply can't agree that an alteration of fundemental canon is neccesary. The little things don't really matter but as for the "events"; there is plenty of scope for creating a fresh story within the canon-verse.

If this is indeed the story of how TOS crew came together I have a few concerns;

1. If Pike is killed off in order to lay the foundations for an ending which involves Kirk taking command there is a serious lapse of continuity. The Cage essentially becomes defunct.

2. There appears to be a considerable undermining of established and logical historical patterns. How old is Checkov and has he been shoe-horned into the script? What has happened to the Cage crew (Piper, Number 1 etc)?

3. If Kirk is a Cadet in the beginning of the film how is it possible that he takes command at the end of the film *speculation (I understand that the 24th century Spock intervention is a a cornerstone of the plot but what happened to Starfleet protocol?). Furthermore is Kirks' career on the Republic and Farragut to be ignored?

These are all fanboyish knit-picks and to be honest as long as the film rekindles Trek of old I am not too fussed about needles in haystacks. All I worry about is Star Trek following a Doctor Who multi-verse path. It won't keep me awake at night though

P.S. The new aesthetics are awesome.