The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Harry Potter books
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2008, 01:17 AM
Commander

Default Harry Potter books

Since I read the first 3 twilight books and have not gotten the last one, Hubby has me reading the first one. Will try to read them all by next summer. Not much of a fan but he is, I think he just wants me to like it as much as him. I may make him read the twilight books lol
hear is the new trailor by the way
http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/20...f-blood-prince

Old 10-30-2008, 04:28 AM
Vice Admiral

I'm stuck on crappy dial up for a few days so I couldnt' check which trailer that is - but there's a new international one at mugglenet.com. What I don't get is that the director had to add some made-up attack on the Burrow to the movie. THere's so much in that book there's no need to cut some stuff and add nonsense. SIgh.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Admiral

trekie, I think you'll love the Potter books.

Jer, I think that's the same trailer as mugglenet has. When I watched it my reaction was "book? who cares what happens in the book?" because it looks to me like they're really going far afield. However, I suspect that what they are doing is telling the whole story in a different way. So, when we get to the end of the 8th movie, we will have had the same story as we got in the 7 books.

While it's true that a lot happens in the 6th book, the movie makers have shown considerable skill in pulling out those aspects of the book that are, in fact, needed to progress the story and tossing aside those aspects of the book that are somewhat "filler" in nature (which is why they'd intended to leave Kreacher out of the 5th movie....they couldn't see that the character did that much and didn't have a clue what JKR would do with him in the 7th book).

It's all out there now. There are no more surprises JKR can pull on them, so the movie makers really do have a lot of freedom on how they get the story across.

I suspect that the vulnerability of the Weasley's is being introduced early because, frankly, JKR relied on the audience to recognize it. She didn't really address it until the 7th book. But it was always there. We all knew that because there were so many Weasley's and because they were so politically incorrect, they were going to be in special danger. I think putting an attack on the Burrow in the movie gives that "known danger" a tangible reality.

There are a substantial number of people who are ardent fans of the movies but haven't read the books (why? who knows?). Those people are unlikely to have devoted the endless hours to speculating on exactly what the Dark Lord would do with the pack of Weasley's once he got them. An attack on the burrow brings those "movie fans" up to date on the situation.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:39 AM
Vice Admiral

See, when it comes to Trek I'm pretty relaxed about canon - heck, make Spock into a horta for all I care - but for Potter and LotR I veer the other way. It took me 2 years to be able to enjoy Return of the King!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:43 PM
Lieutenant

HMmm twilight. all the girls at my school are obsessed with it. i glanced through it and i realised no explosions. just not my cup of tea.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

I am a member of a book club, which consists of me (a boy) and four girls. Who are all obsessed with the Twilight series. And so they have been trying to get me to read it for many months. And so I did, and I actually like it!

Then again, it could be because of the love story...

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

I read the first Potter book. I enjoyed but it didn't grab enough to read the rest.

I've been reading the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series those a Potter-esque. And I have really enjoyed them.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 10-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
I read the first Potter book. I enjoyed but it didn't grab enough to read the rest.
Do you enjoy the films? If so, I'd encourage you to persevere as the books are much more detailed than the films. Especially from the third book onwards, when the darker elements begin to feed into the overall plot.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhanner View Post
See, when it comes to Trek I'm pretty relaxed about canon - heck, make Spock into a horta for all I care - but for Potter and LotR I veer the other way. It took me 2 years to be able to enjoy Return of the King!
Oh, see...I loved everything about Peter Jackson's films from the moment I saw them....I tend to be forgiving of those who are tasked with making movies outof beloved books. It's impossible to get it all in and no matter what they do, someone is going to be unhappy about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
Do you enjoy the films? If so, I'd encourage you to persevere as the books are much more detailed than the films. Especially from the third book onwards, when the darker elements begin to feed into the overall plot.
I agree. The first book is really written to appeal to 11 or 12 year olds. By the time you hit the third book, everything is far more mature. By the seventh book, the kids are very realistic teenagers with senses of humor and relationships and everything....

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
I agree. The first book is really written to appeal to 11 or 12 year olds. By the time you hit the third book, everything is far more mature. By the seventh book, the kids are very realistic teenagers with senses of humor and relationships and everything....
The first book was written for 11 ear olds...

Whilst the seventh book was written for the people who were eleven when the first book went out!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)