The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Custom Fiction.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Captain

Default Custom Fiction.

This is what I do for a living -- I create a short story written just for you. Exercise as little or as much creative control as you want to get exactly the story you want to read.

Email me at: legion.live@me.com for samples and details!
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 10-29-2008, 11:35 PM
Captain

To provide more details here:

To explain what I do -- I write a story on any theme, in any genre, with nothing forbidden as to the nature or content, and you're able to exercise as little or as much creative control over the story as you like so that you get EXACTLY the story you've always wanted to read but haven't found yet -- or the kind you've always wanted to write yourself but haven't found the time for.

It works like this: You give me your guidelines for what you'd like in the story as far as events, characters and setting (time and place) or leave any or all of these things up to me and let me surprise you with my own inventions to fill in the blanks. Then I send you a "beat sheet" -- the basic, bare bones of your story plot twist by plot twist. If you like the story as it is in "beat sheet" form, then I write the full story from there. Or, if you have more suggestions based on the beat sheet, I incorporate them and write the story based on the plot changes you suggest.

Stories generally range from a minimum of 10 pages single-spaced to a maximum of around 20 pages single-spaced in 12 point Times New Roman or Courier New font. The cost for the first story is $150 USD payable through PayPal, but subsequent stories are subject to a repeat customer discount and cost only $100 each. Time from purchase to delivery is generally 2 to 3 days excluding weekends, and stories are delivered by email in your choice of file format, the most popular formats being .rtf or .doc.

I can provide you with samples of past stories that have been commissioned from me, as well as other stories written on speculation (meaning stories that were written prior to being purchased.)
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 AM
Lieutenant

wow expensive stories. wouldnt mind reading a sample or a previous one that wouldnt cost me anything.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:45 AM
Captain

All right. Send me an email and I'll send a sample.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Captain

By the way, each story becomes the property exclusively of the reader, which means all rights, including the right to republish it as his or her own work.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Commander

I am sorely tempted Saint. I have one particular story inside me burning to come out, but I'm not a wordsmith. My punctuation is horrible and my dialog writing is even worse.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 AM
Captain

I can do it up right, Monsieur. I'd love to prove that to you.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattieau View Post
wow expensive stories.
Not really - it's well within the usual going rate for fiction. Granted, a published story would recoup much more than that for the publisher, but the rates quoted are close to what said publisher would pay the author.

My own rates are based per-word, but would come close to the final total quoted for work, roughly speaking. (i.e., dialogue-heavy pages would have less words-per-page than descriptive passages, but an average story of about 14 pages, with the usual mix of dialogue and narrative, would come out to about $100 US.)

Technically speaking, we authors don't get paid to write - THAT, we do for free. What we get paid for is the sale/leasing of the rights to the story, and that's what you'd be paying The Saint for - which means that you could, legally, turn around and find a publisher to purchase said story from you at their own going rate, and recoup some or all of the money spent...

(Theoretically...)

Old 10-31-2008, 07:34 AM
Fleet Admiral

I didn't know you were a writer.
I thought you were an engineer.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I didn't know you were a writer.
I thought you were an engineer.

...at whom was that comment directed?