The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Pics and a great one of Spock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 10-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Enterprise Captain's Avatar
Enterprise Captain Enterprise Captain is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON Canada
Posts: 1,066
Default

Is that the main viewer in the background of this photo?

That's what I thought when I first saw it. It's hard to tell.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Aqua's Avatar
Aqua Aqua is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 447
Default

The bridge is multilevel, so was the original TOS bridge.... but the levels are only about a foot apart in height
__________________
To bathe a cat takes brute force, perseverance, courage of conviction - and a cat.
The last ingredient is usually hardest to come by.
- Stephen Baker
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Kallen's Avatar
Kallen Kallen is offline
Lieutenant
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kettering, OH
Posts: 279
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerwaterbury View Post
Not exactly, this font seems to be much thinner and rounder. The movie versions were more sharp with corners of words.
The lettering seen behind Spock is almost dead on to the lettering seen on the 1701 refitt and the 1701-A. The letters themselves had a thin red outline, just like what we see behind Spock.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM
ThePhaige's Avatar
ThePhaige ThePhaige is offline
Lieutenant Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: florida
Posts: 618
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
The bridge is multilevel, so was the original TOS bridge.... but the levels are only about a foot apart in height
Yeah aware of that....what I thought I had read somehere was and upper deck in what was otherwise the ceiling in every other Trek incarnation.

Like a deck ring above with folks monitoring stations. I didn't like the inference of the idea and still dont, I just wondered if anyone else recalls.

On a side note, I especially liked this comparison pic.

Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-29-2008, 02:31 PM
omegaman's Avatar
omegaman omegaman is offline
Admiral
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Penrith NSW Australia
Posts: 4,603
Default it's only my opinion but…

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
Yeah aware of that....what I thought I had read somehere was and upper deck in what was otherwise the ceiling in every other Trek incarnation.

Like a deck ring above with folks monitoring stations. I didn't like the inference of the idea and still dont, I just wondered if anyone else recalls.

On a side note, I especially liked this comparison pic.



There was also a toilet to the right of the main viewscreen. It's on the plans, there is also a maintenance corridor which runs around the bridge behind the workstations.
__________________
TREK IS TREK. WHATEVER THE TIMELINE!

The next TV Series should be called STARFLEET!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-29-2008, 03:14 PM
number 3's Avatar
number 3 number 3 is offline
Ensign
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 79
Default

from what I can tell....ref. (the pic of Spock in front of the veiwscreen/ window)...if it is the main veiwscreen, then the lettering on the hull is way too close and may perhaps be simply another insignia and not the NCC-1701 at the leading edge of saucer. It could read NCC-1701( looks like a backwards 7 and an 0), just closer the the bridge...but that's just my op.

Peace and long life
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-29-2008, 11:09 PM
MonsieurHood's Avatar
MonsieurHood MonsieurHood is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,352
Default

Why is Kirk the only crewmember not wearing a standard starfleet uniform? Yeah, I know, it's a Captain's uniform, it's crucial to the scene, it's necessary for whatever reason for the continuity of the film. But he looks as out of place as a lost tooth when everyone else is wearing their appropriate color-coded uniform. There has to be some reason why. And you notice that in the comparison pic, Kirk has a clearly visible delta symbol on his chest and in the movie stills, the delta is the same black color as the shirt and incredibly difficult to see. Is this Kirk from a mirror universe or what? Is he a clone? Is he only acting Captain, like Wesley Crusher was an acting Ensign? I just cannot fathom the significance or purpose of dressing him differently. Is he a starfleet officer, or isn't he?
__________________
"One of the many, the proud, the friends of Zardoz".
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Cannibal's Avatar
Cannibal Cannibal is offline
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 217
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
Why is Kirk the only crewmember not wearing a standard starfleet uniform? Yeah, I know, it's a Captain's uniform, it's crucial to the scene, it's necessary for whatever reason for the continuity of the film. But he looks as out of place as a lost tooth when everyone else is wearing their appropriate color-coded uniform. There has to be some reason why. And you notice that in the comparison pic, Kirk has a clearly visible delta symbol on his chest and in the movie stills, the delta is the same black color as the shirt and incredibly difficult to see. Is this Kirk from a mirror universe or what? Is he a clone? Is he only acting Captain, like Wesley Crusher was an acting Ensign? I just cannot fathom the significance or purpose of dressing him differently. Is he a starfleet officer, or isn't he?
It looks to me like he's wearing the same black undergarment as everyone else. He just doesn't have the color-coded uniform overshirt. I have no idea what the significance of that is, though.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-30-2008, 09:51 AM
OneBuckFilms's Avatar
OneBuckFilms OneBuckFilms is offline
Commander
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 909
Default

In terms of the Viewscreen/Window debate, I think it is a viewscreen, but made to look and feel just like a window.

It hints at the advanced holographic imaging capabilities in a subtle way, and the viewer could be configured to display almost anything in 3d or 2d depending on the situation.

It also looks like it uses display overlays to display key data without being intrusive on the object of the display.

This is, from a UI design perspective, excellent, functional and elegant.

Very much what would be needed on a sophisticated 23rd century space vessel, such as the Enterprise.
__________________
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-30-2008, 10:04 AM
jtrek79's Avatar
jtrek79 jtrek79 is offline
Vice Admiral
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Athens,Greece
Posts: 3,330
Default

guys its the viewscreen for sure,watch the blinking dots that come close to each other and move away
__________________
B E H O L D T H E N A R A D A
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:15 AM.


Forum theme courtesy of Mark Lambert
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 by Paramount Pictures. STAR TREK and all related
marks and logos are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.