The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > My ears
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
Commander

Default My ears

I thought it was just my alleries, My ears hurt so much ,for 4 days now. Have had conjestion and migraines. Took all the allergy meds I have and it only brings down the conjestion and pain. I think it is a cold and that got complicated and now I have an ear infection. Man I hate my sister in law. She got me sick. I have told her many times not to come over when she is sick. First hubby got sick and I think my baby started too, she seems to rub her ears alot. We are going to doctor tomorrow

Old 10-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Vice Admiral

That Sucks!

Old 10-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Lieutenant Commander

trekie,

Hope you and your Fam feel better soon!!!
Old 10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekie View Post
I thought it was just my alleries, My ears hurt so much ,for 4 days now. Have had conjestion and migraines. Took all the allergy meds I have and it only brings down the conjestion and pain. I think it is a cold and that got complicated and now I have an ear infection. Man I hate my sister in law. She got me sick. I have told her many times not to come over when she is sick. First hubby got sick and I think my baby started too, she seems to rub her ears alot. We are going to doctor tomorrow

Children are much more likely than adults to develop true ear infections because their eustachean tubs have not fully developed for proper drainage. As you have probably already witnessed, your daughter rubbing her ears heralds otitis media. More likely, you have a sinus infection. If you have a low-grade fever and a lot of thick green mucus when you blow your nose, I'd probably recommend 2 weeks of antibiotic. Otherwise, it's probably a viral infection that will go away on its own. In additioin to your allergy medications, an inhaled anti-inflammatory spray will help a lot. Those are prescription, but AFRIN is a decent short-term alternative.

Feel better soon.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Commander

ugh
i DESPISE ear infections.
I used to get them ALL THE TIME when i was younger.
hope you feel better
:]
Old 10-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Vice Admiral

Oh no, the dreaded rubbing of the ears. Thank goodness it clears up fast!
Old 10-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Commander

well my baby has a cold, ear are ok, Doctor said to keep using the saline and bulb syringe to clean out her nose and use a humidierizer.She is doing much better than me tho. I have a sinus infection. On Ab's, flonase, and other allergy meds. My ears look ok, my tonsils are swollen.With the new meds I am feeling a lot better. I can hear a lot better. Thanks for the good thoughts
Vuedoc: thanks, I will look into that and you where so right

Old 10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Lieutenant

*huggles* oh get better soon trekie. ^_^

And don't hate your sister-in-law, just go over to her house when shes perfectly healthy and your horribly sick. ^^ Don't get mad. Get even.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:42 PM
Admiral

You should listen to the doctor, above.

It's most likely the dreaded "super cold" that has been working its way through my family.

We've found that Advil (or, equivalent) goes a long way toward reducing the swollen tissues that are causing the pain.

You say you've taken "allergy meds". My suggestion is Sudafed (or generic). Get the kind you have to go to the counter for! And, a good antihistimine. I like Claritin (or generic).

Drink loads of water! Keep a bottle or glass of water next to the bed because you'll need to take sips during the night.

To some extent, you have to wait this out. Just try to stay comfortable and not infect others (keep hand sanitizer close!).

Also....don't hate your sister in law....chances are it was a kid who infected you. Kids pick up the newest and most exciting of germs.

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizadolots View Post
ight.

To some extent, you have to wait this out. Just try to stay comfortable and not infect others (keep hand sanitizer close!).

Also....don't hate your sister in law....chances are it was a kid who infected you. Kids pick up the newest and most exciting of germs.
Thanks, I am feeling better now, with all the meds on on. As for her I know it was her. We had not been out any place. I have had sanitizes with me always. She got me sick twice las year when I was pregnant. I get very sick whe I get colds or the flu ,thats why I get mad. Now it's not just me but my baby. I do have issues with it because my family all have asthma issues. My baby sister had to hospitaliized twice as a baby for a cold gone bad, she almost died. So yes I don't like my sister in law, when I have asked her not to come when sick. As an adult and not pregnant I don't worry as much, I just get very sick.