The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The Shat Slams Takei
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Trek View Post
To put it succinctly - I greatly admire Shatner as James T. Kirk, not as William Shatner...
Exactly how I feel!! and I've got news for Shat... he aint all that!!!!!!!

Kirk, though? That's entirely another kettle of fish!

Proud Patron of Eliza's Avatar Lab!!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:57 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Q View Post
I thnk Shatner is just publically screwing around, like he did with Nimoy in the 1980's. Not that I condone his comments, but he has done this before.

Shater has his knickers in a twist overall because someone else is playing the role that he is most associated with. His ego won't let it go, and enjoy what he has.
Yes, I think Shatner's history of wars of words with his other cast members, notably Nimoy a while back, is what makes me inclined these days to take what he says with a pinch of salt.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 AM
Commander

We can be pretty sure the actors themselves like to goof around regarding their 'feuds', too. Remember the Futurama episode, 'Where No Fan Has Gone Before'? The one where all the Original Series cast, minus James Doohan and the late DeForest Kelley played themselves?

Well, the DVD commentary for that episode is pretty interesting. Apparently one of William Shatner's conditions for appearing was that he and Leonard Nimoy would get to record their lines together. But Nimoy arrived at the studio early, and declared "OK, let's hurry up and finish this before Shatner gets here..."
And the director and crew thought they were going to have a disaster on their hands. But it turned out that Nimoy was just kidding - he and Shatner recorded together and had a fine old time. Even though Shatner later denied any knowledge of having been in the episode at all
Old 10-25-2008, 03:45 AM
Federation Councillor

True, I also recall reading in one of Nimoy's autobiographies that during the filimng of TSFS, they staged a mock bust-up between themselves in front of the filming crew over how to play a key scene in the film.

But I think sometimes they're also not goofing around.
Old 10-25-2008, 05:14 AM
Commander

haha
wow
I honestly think Shatner WANTS Takei to not like him.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Commander

if my opinion means anything here

I think someones still sour about not landing a part in this movie.

GOD Emperor Of The Trekkies
Old 10-28-2008, 09:28 AM
Ensign

Default More Shat Stuff

Chris Doohan wrote on his blog a few years ago that Shatner and his father, James Doohan made up after years of feuding, but at the last minute and the last time they saw each other, William Shatner did a terrible thing to Doohan.
It was the last day of the “Beam me up, Scotty, one last time” convention at the Renaissance Hotel in Hollywood, when all the original Star Trek Stars were to get up on stage for the last time. Although James was ill, he still had his wits about him and was looking forward to this event.
Chris wrote that it was about 5 minutes before the big event, when he heard Shatner (who was right behind Chris, talking to Nimoy) say “I don’t want to deal with all this Alzheimer’s crap anymore, I’m outta here” (Mr. Doohan had the early stages of the disease).
Well, he left and without even saying goodbye to his old pal (I use that term lightly). The crowd of hundred paid good money to see this final event, but Shatner was gone. It was said by the promoter of the event, Sky Conway, that Shatner was mad because he wanted to go on stage earlier in the day with Neil Armstrong, but he refused (Mr. Armstrong is a bit stage shy). It should be known that Leonard Nimoy left too. There was no comment about that mystery.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Lieutenant

Perhaps Shatner should review these recordings before they are released and ask himself, 'How does what I say here make me appear to the viewer?'

Assuming this isn't all chain-yanking for the Trek fans (as suggested above), it may be that he and Takei have real issues with each other and he wants to pay back on what Takei has said against him over the years. However, calling him psychotic and accusing him of various things made Shatner look bad instead of Takei. Maybe he should have done a second take.

It is also strange that for both the wedding and the movie appearance Shatner claims to not have been invited. Maybe he should check his pigeon hole for any unopened letters?

Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Federation Councillor

It seems Shatner's standard practice is to claim he was 'never' invited or told or asked or present at any such things when these claims arrived. Never mind letters, his voicemail service must need an upgrade as well!
Old 10-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Vice Admiral

Sometimes I think we forget that actors are just like us, and sometimes a little crazier. No, scratch that, a LOT crazier. If this conversation was about two people that worked at the same office, I think Shat would come off looking like the office nutjob.