The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > The Shat Slams Takei
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbase Britain View Post
this really saddens me. this isnt doing either of them any favours. why would you want to hang your dirty laundry out like this for the world to see.

we will probably never know who is right or wrong but i just wish they would meet up, have a drink and work it out. It doesnt make pleasant reading. life is way to short.

starbase Britain
/agreed
Old 10-23-2008, 03:04 PM
Lieutenant

Thanks wildguns Tomcat

glad you agree with my post. BTW, I went to NY two years ago and thought it was one of the most amazing places ive ever been too. Its an incredible City and everyone should go there at least for a holiday.

starbase Britain
Old 10-23-2008, 04:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGunsTomcat View Post
Have you not EVER seen Boston Legal??

The Shat is HILARIOUS.

Denny Crane.

I agree- he is fun to watch, but mostly because the role is far from a stretch for him. They chose a pompous *** to play a pompus ***. I'm in no position to take sides here because I do not know them both personally nor was I present during any of the slightings that may or may not have gone on, but I agree that for both of them to continue to criticize each other after 40 years is just petty and childish. There are loads of people in my life whom I take exception to because of what I felt/believe they had done to me at some point, but I'm not about to write a book or post a video. Actors just love publicity and these exchanges are a good example of it.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Whoa, vuedoc, you need to cut down on the caffeine a bit.

Folks, this is hollywood showbiz gossip; these people make money out of all of this conflict. Takei is a pompous jerk, Shatner is a pompous jerk; how did that just make any of our lives better, I ask you?

Enjoy the performance an actor gives, revel in the event, but don't feed the paparazzi that lessen us as a society, make us a lesser human race, and disrupt people's lives.

It speaks volumes to watch supermarket checkouts to see who's buying The Globe. These are the ones that Darwin theorized about, and we as a society protect.

Obviously, we as a culture have much to learn NOT to do.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:01 PM
Commander

Funny, you say Shatner's a homophobe, but I always had my suspicions that Shatner might swing both ways. I don't know why, I just always got that impression from him. Everyone's life is rough sometimes, but Takei always seemed to be a nice enough person to me. I don't really give a rat's rip about actors personal sexual proclivities, that's their business. I just want them to be able to make me believe that they're who they're supposed to be ON screen. OFF screen, it's their time. In the rows of that theater after I've paid my seven bucks for a ticket and twelve bucks for popcorn, candy and coke, it's my time.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 AM
Commander

So, to recap (and to check I've got this right): Takei invited Shatner to his wedding, Shatner piked, and is now ranting that Takei is a "sick" man who didn't invite him? I must confess that I haven't watched any YouTube videos of the infamous rants. I think it'd just be too uncomfortable and awkward to sit through.

If you're invited to someone's wedding but decide not to turn up, you can't lash out at them for failing to invite you. That's simple logic. Of course, we only have the word of each man to go on here - but considering the things Mr Shatner's said, I wouldn't blame Mr Takei for not wanting him near his nuptials.

If one actor earns the ire of his co-stars during their time together, then that's unfortunate but it hardly means that the people who dislike him are sick, twisted psychotics.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I thnk Shatner is just publically screwing around, like he did with Nimoy in the 1980's. Not that I condone his comments, but he has done this before.

Shater has his knickers in a twist overall because someone else is playing the role that he is most associated with. His ego won't let it go, and enjoy what he has.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Conway, Arkansas. It's a nice little town with three Universities in it, and surrounded by woods.

True, this can all be put under the heading of, "no such thing as bad publicity." It got their names on the news for awhile, and their faces back on Entertainment Tonight for a short time... when you are in your 80's, sometimes that's enough.

Number Six: I will not be stamped, filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! I am a person.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Q View Post
Shater has his knickers in a twist overall because someone else is playing the role that he is most associated with. His ego won't let it go, and enjoy what he has.

Eventhough I am a huge Shatner-as-Kirk fan, I agree with you again, Ms.Q...
Old 10-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign James T. Kirk View Post
Whoa, vuedoc, you need to cut down on the caffeine a bit.

Folks, this is hollywood showbiz gossip; these people make money out of all of this conflict. Takei is a pompous jerk, Shatner is a pompous jerk; how did that just make any of our lives better, I ask you?

Enjoy the performance an actor gives, revel in the event, but don't feed the paparazzi that lessen us as a society, make us a lesser human race, and disrupt people's lives.

It speaks volumes to watch supermarket checkouts to see who's buying The Globe. These are the ones that Darwin theorized about, and we as a society protect.

Obviously, we as a culture have much to learn NOT to do.
I agree a lot with what you've said and while everyone is far from perfect I just wish that some people would keep certain things in the past. No matter how much good someone does, it's usually the bad things that are remembered most, and I'd like to remember these two for the good they did for our entertainment, our imaginations, and for the fortitude of the ST franchise.