The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Bond: ''Indivisible unit of Consolation'' movie
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha
Default Bond: ''Indivisible unit of Consolation'' movie

The British release of the film is on the 31st of October. Is the American release after this? I am being dragged along to see it on the 31st, and was completely uninterested... But is there a new Trek trailer to go with it?

If so... then I am all for seeing it!

... Apart from the fact that I am being told to dress up as James Bond...

... Which is really not my kind of thing...

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Fleet Admiral

Plenty of discussion and hypothesizing about this question here.

The latest words seems to be that Paramount will debut the trailer on November 14th... which happens to coincide with the release of QUANTUM OF SOLACE here in the U.S.

If true, it's very unlikely that the TREK trailer would be showing with QoS when it opens in the UK or elsewhere before the 14th, since it's now rather standard to debut the trailer in theaters and then shortly thereafter (usually within hours) online.

I don't see much chance of the trailer showing early in theaters, but not debuting online until a couple weeks later. That would only encourage pirate videotaping of the trailer in theaters, etc., which is why studios tend to debut trailers online shortly after or simultaneously with theatrical release.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Vice Admiral

Thank you for that. I was not here last week and did not find that thread when I checked.

But... If the trailer débuts... What does it matter that it could be in the UK instead? The UK has plenty of Trek fans! They could put it up on the 'net afterwards anyway!

It still goes out.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
Vice Admiral

Does anyone 'get' the title, by the way?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Vice Admiral

You could be surprised to find out how many people think that the word 'quantum' just means: 'Something that physicists know about', due to the fame of quantum physics.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

I am not much into languages or ethymology, but quantity, quantum, should not be very hard to get that. Or perhaps it's only me because in German there is the colloquial word 'Quäntchen' which means more or less the same as quantum.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
I am not much into languages or ethymology, but quantity, quantum, should not be very hard to get that. Or perhaps it's only me because in German there is the colloquial word 'Quäntchen' which means more or less the same as quantum.
Yeah it should not be too hard, especially when quantum physics boils down to the study of small amounts. I would expect that some non-native speakers might realise some of these things more easily - not having been exposed quite as much to terms without finding out the meaning...

Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Yeah it should not be too hard, especially when quantum physics boils down to the study of small amounts. I would expect that some non-native speakers might realise some of these things more easily - not having been exposed quite as much to terms without finding out the meaning...
Well similar term in German again, quantum physics is "Quantenphysik". Latin and Greek are still the foundations of a lot of European languages
Old 10-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Thank you for that. I was not here last week and did not find that thread when I checked.

But... If the trailer débuts... What does it matter that it could be in the UK instead? The UK has plenty of Trek fans! They could put it up on the 'net afterwards anyway!

It still goes out.
I don't deny at all that the UK or Europe or any other place has plenty of TREK fans. My only point was that the trailer will almost certainly debut online shortly after it arrives in theaters. And apparently Paramount had decided that date will be November 14 in theaters -- since the internet is global, the trailer will debut online on or shortly after that same day.

The studio would not debut it with QoS at the end of October in UK theaters, since stolen video of it would appear on the net within hours, long before it debuts it in the States on the 14th two weeks later. Paramount is not going to undercut its own marketing plan like that.

The release date of the trailer happens to coincide with QUANTUM here in the US... it's not that QUANTUM itself was meant to debut the TREK trailer. Paramount is going for the DATE of debut, not the film title. QoS is just a prime candidate for putting the trailer in front of a good demographic for TREK.

And, it's worth noting that we would have likely seen the TREK trailer a week earlier, but Sony ended up pushing QUANTUM back one week from Nov. 7th to move it closer to Thanksgiving weekend, which officially (and sales-wise) tends to start the holiday movie season here.

If TREK's trailer is attached to QoS, it will probably benefit in viewership from being one weekend closer to Thanksgiving as well.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!