The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > First scene
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about the whole Romulan angle on this movie. According to the TOS episode, "Balance of Terror", no human or Federation ally had ever seen a Romulan up to that point. And Kirk and crew were very surprised to find that the Romulans looked like Vulcans (Spock's father, to be exact...haha). Anyway, to be consistent with canon and established Star Trek history, none of the non-Romulan characters should have been allowed to see the Romulan villains. There were a couple of episodes of ENT that dealt with the Romulans and they were filmed in such a way that the audience got to see the Romulans, but the Enterprise crew didn't. I sure hope they filmed this movie like that. Or else it will completely throw the history of the Star Trek universe out of whack and make "Balance Of Terror" non-existent.
I'm sorry my noobishness is showing right now, but I'm confused a little bit here. Having never seen ENT I have no clue what's going on. Are evil Romunlans invisible? Please excuse my stupid for a moment and help me to understand.

"It's worked so far but we're not out yet."- Leonard "Bones" McCoy
Old 10-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
Just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about the whole Romulan angle on this movie. According to the TOS episode, "Balance of Terror", no human or Federation ally had ever seen a Romulan up to that point. And Kirk and crew were very surprised to find that the Romulans looked like Vulcans (Spock's father, to be exact...haha). Anyway, to be consistent with canon and established Star Trek history, none of the non-Romulan characters should have been allowed to see the Romulan villains. There were a couple of episodes of ENT that dealt with the Romulans and they were filmed in such a way that the audience got to see the Romulans, but the Enterprise crew didn't. I sure hope they filmed this movie like that. Or else it will completely throw the history of the Star Trek universe out of whack and make "Balance Of Terror" non-existent.
I wonder if that is what they meant when the film producers said long time fans will scream "heresy" at the end of this scene?
Old 10-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribblez View Post
I'm sorry my noobishness is showing right now, but I'm confused a little bit here. Having never seen ENT I have no clue what's going on. Are evil Romunlans invisible? Please excuse my stupid for a moment and help me to understand.
I think all Zim wanted to say that in prequels like ENT, they sticked to what was established in Balance of Terror, that no one in the Federation, not even Vulcans, knew how Romulans look like (before BoT) and if and how they will stick with that in the upcoming movie.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

Maybe this is going to be the actaul first time they see them but the crew's reports are dismissed for some reason, or the time travel cure it.

Well ever since they announced one of Nero's named crew was a female Romulan....

Kirk + Sexy Romulan Commander = Business as usual.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Ensign

Okay, that makes more sense. The wording confused me, I thought I had seriously missed out on something cause I've seen BoT and don't remember anything about invisible Romulans...

Old 10-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribblez View Post
Okay, that makes more sense. The wording confused me, I thought I had seriously missed out on something cause I've seen BoT and don't remember anything about invisible Romulans...
Here is the new prototype of the personal cloaking device

Old 10-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Lieutenant

Ah, Balance of Terror, one of my absolute favourites. Give these guys some credit, I think they can manage having the two sides in conflict without seeing each other (apart from maybe external shots of ships). But it may not be as blunt as this, some say Nero's role is quite small, I'm thinking maybe a puppet-master pulling some other alien races strings.
Romulans are supposed to be good at manipulating people and situations. If they stick to canon, the Romulan-Earth war should have been touched on in ENTERPRISE, but if there's time travel....yada yada yada!!!!!!!!!!!
Opening shot, I'm kinda thinking, floating stars, Nimoy voice over, 'Everything you thought you knew.....'LOL.
As long as they don't do a Dallas and tell us it was all a dream I hope to be happy with this cinema outing.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestartrekker View Post
Opening shot, I'm kinda thinking, floating stars, Nimoy voice over, 'Everything you thought you knew.....'LOL.
As long as they don't do a Dallas and tell us it was all a dream I hope to be happy with this cinema outing.
The amount of LOL's I have just in this thread experienced is ridiculous...

Old 10-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbx550bertie View Post
What do you think the 1st scene will be?
What ever it is, it will be awesome! Just like the rest of the movie.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diron Hod View Post
What ever it is, it will be awesome! Just like the rest of the movie.
Totally dude, yeah!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)