The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Black Kirk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Ensign

Post Black Kirk

Not that I'm nitpicking, in fact I love the change, i think they should all be in black, but why do you think Kirk is wearing black? Captain's rank? Captain's prerogative? Deranked? Could be any of these things.

Do you like that it clearly seperates him from the rest of the crew as the likely superior officer to onlookers and enemies???

Also, while I'm at it, for all of you old skool trekkies, what was the meaning of Shatner-Kirk's half done up uniform in the movies? Was it a similar attempt to seperate him from the rest of the crew as lead character/superior officer? I always assumed it was an off-duty thing, like an undone collar or loosened tie.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetanus4breakfast View Post
but why do you think Kirk is wearing black?

Also, while I'm at it, for all of you old skool trekkies, what was the meaning of Shatner-Kirk's half done up uniform in the movies?
I still think this is just Kirk's black undershirt (which everyone seems to be wearing), without the outer gold uniform shirt. These scenes obviously take place after some dramatic events, it could be his outer uniform was damaged and removed.

Half done up uniform? Do you have a movie or picture to reference?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Lieutenant

Maybe the scene in ST:5 when he comes in from rock climbing and is in jeans and a t-shirt that says "Go Climb A Rock" under his red uniform coat, hehe.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Ensign

I haven't got a pic but it happens fairly often throughout the first 6 movies. Kirk will often be seen with his uniform flap undone. I always took it as a means to represent his contempt for authority, but knowing Trek as I do I'm sure there is some official significance.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

It's the closest they could get to ripping half Shatner's shirt off in his later years.

But seriously, I think it made the character look less formal and authoritarian, more befitting his TOS persona. The STII "Reaganesque" uniforms were a startling contrast in style compared to the 'pajamas' of TMP, and I presume neither the actor nor the directors/costumers wanted Kirk looking too uptight and strict... especially since in those stories Kirk was constantly disobeying orders and breaking ranks with Starfleet.

He's a rebel with a cause, and he doesn't snap all his buttons, Mister!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I don't think it's an undershirt. Here's why.

If you look VERY closely you can see the delta symbol on the black shirt, but it appears to be embroidered on and is the same color as the rest of the shirt. It sort of reminds me of military fatigues. I'm wondering if they are introducing this as some type of away team uniform. Military fatigues to be used in the field often use more subtle rank insignia (so the bad guys can't see who the superior officer is and make him/her a target). Perhaps they are building on this tradition and introducing an away team uniform that is devoid of departmental color and visible rank insignia. Think about the away team jackets the crew wore in "The Cage," which were along these same lines.

As for the fact that he's wearing it on the ship, I think it's easily explained. If he just got back to the ship in the middle of a crisis, he wouldn't necessarily take the time to change into his ordinary duty uniform.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Fleet Admiral

If it helps, this is from the MTV article which hosted the Bridge photo:

Quote:
Here’s what Lindelof had to say about what Trek fans can take away from the photo:
- The set you see in the photo is the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise, and not a training room.
- When asked why Kirk was wearing black instead of the standard yellow captain’s shirt, Lindelof said that the black uniform is “significant” to the story surrounding this scene.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Ensign

aha, that's probably as much info as we're gonna get at this point. i'm excited to learn what the significance is then. thanks mission.
Old 10-21-2008, 02:23 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetanus4breakfast
Also, while I'm at it, for all of you old skool trekkies, what was the meaning of Shatner-Kirk's half done up uniform in the movies? Was it a similar attempt to seperate him from the rest of the crew as lead character/superior officer? I always assumed it was an off-duty thing, like an undone collar or loosened tie.
Yes, I think that's exactly what it was; the "loosened tie/rolled up shirt sleeves" analogue. But then, even in TOS, Kirk's shirt was frequently being, um... "modified." <insert ripped-shirt-Kirk references>
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 10-21-2008, 03:16 AM
Lieutenant

I think it is because he has been on a landing party mission