The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I know why the Kelvins Nacelle is Off Center - possible spoilers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
Um... what? This movie is set before Kirk's first five year mission as Captain of the Enterprise... right? That five year mission came before the thing with V'Ger... right?

So yeah -- this is supposedly set before the era of FNMs (Flying Nuclear Meltdowns). So now the ships go from Christmas tree ornaments, to looking like actual ships with actual technology (ever notice that technology in the real world only glows like that when something has gone horribly, horribly wrong?), then back to Christmas tree ornaments again much later.

Since the visual department obviously equates "advanced technology" with "venting waste energy into space instead of containing, conserving and reusing it", we're seeing Really Advanced, then Not So Advanced, then Really Advanced again -- with no credible reason for the change.
But it seems that, quite obviously, that all the main characters seem to have their familiar respective positions in the pictures that have been given!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 10-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Captain

And? They could take up the same positions respective to one another in a parking lot -- is that all you ask of them?
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 10-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Sorry, Saint... "fear" is your word, and I quote it directly... "fears" plural, actually.
I'm "reimagining" the word "fears" in that sentence. Yesterday it meant what you think. Tomorrow it will again. Today it means something totally different. I know you don't mind.
"Now I did a job -- and got nothin' but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character, so let me make this abundantly clear: I do the job... and then I get paid. Go run your little world."
Old 10-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Lieutenant

As I said in my other post, I don't think the ships look 24th century, but more TOS movie era, so to me it looks like the gap between TOS and TMP. TMP is only a few years removed from TOS, so not a big deal to me.
It's not like we're gonna see an Ambassador or Galaxy class ship here...
Old 10-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
And? They could take up the same positions respective to one another in a parking lot -- is that all you ask of them?
Is that being facetious?

You are ignoring everything that I said, save one singular phrase - which, out of context, has no bearing on anything.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Is that being facetious?

You are ignoring everything that I said, save one singular phrase - which, out of context, has no bearing on anything.
You may want to get used to that approach.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
You may want to get used to that approach.
There is a time and a place for everything... But semi-pleasant conversation curdles at its touch...

Old 10-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
Is that being facetious?

Really? The context seemed clear -- it doesn't look anything like it should, but because the crew are at least standing and sitting in vaguely the right spots relative to each other, you're satisfied.

Is that not accurate?
Old 10-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Really? The context seemed clear -- it doesn't look anything like it should, but because the crew are at least standing and sitting in vaguely the right spots relative to each other, you're satisfied.

Is that not accurate?
So I will have to spell it out?

Not their PHYSICAL positions relative to the rest of the physical universe; they look as if they each hold the ranks and positions assigned to them through the rigours and unrealities of canon!!!!!!!!! Kirk looks as if he is supposed to be in command, therefore it is not an unreasonable assumption that, in fact, he is not a cadet at this time - but is actually the commanding officer on the bridge of the Enterprise!!

Old 10-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
One of my worst fears is confirmed by the Kelvin, though. Glowing crap. Was the original Constitution-class the only vessel Starfleet ever produced that didn't look like a nuclear meltdown in progress?

I like glowing crap! It's fiction that is being updated because this movie is being released in 2008, not 1966. The reality is that many of the fictitious ideas in Star Trek are becomming reality in the real world, making a 1966 series look very primitive to what we would invision the future to look like now. I think JJ is trying to align the 1701 Enterprise to look like a vessel that would come after the ship in the series, Enterprise. Just my two cents.