The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 AM
Vice Admiral

I know this is a little off topic, but just out of curiosity, has anyone thought about the whole Romulan angle on this movie. According to the TOS episode, "Balance of Terror", no human or Federation ally had ever seen a Romulan up to that point. And Kirk and crew were very surprised to find that the Romulans looked like Vulcans (Spock's father, to be exact...haha). Anyway, to be consistent with canon and established Star Trek history, none of the non-Romulan characters should have been allowed to see the Romulan villains. There were a couple of episodes of ENT that dealt with the Romulans and they were filmed in such a way that the audience got to see the Romulans, but the Enterprise crew didn't. I sure hope they filmed this movie like that. Or else it will completely throw the history of the Star Trek universe out of whack and make "Balance Of Terror" non-existent.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
But you CANNOT know this, dear Holmes. If JJ is even half clever, then he should know that he may get a skewed form of feedback from here! That is, if he uses this place for feedback at all!
I'm doubtful it is. It may be official, but the film was written before the site came up, I don't think anything said here will affect the film, and to be honest, I don't think it should. If they start listening to the various fans views and tried to accomodate them, they would tear the film to bits trying to do it.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:21 AM
Fleet Admiral

Orci and Kurtzman said that Balance of Terror was the most relevant TOS episode for the upcoming movie. So I doubt that either the timeframe of the Earth-Romulan war or the fact that no human has ever sawn a Romulan will be changed. We had some discussions here about Nero trying to disguise himself.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Orci and Kurtzman said that Balance of Terror was the most relevant TOS episode for the upcoming movie. So I doubt that either the timeframe of the Earth-Romulan war or the fact that no human has ever sawn a Romulan will be changed. We had some discussions here about Nero trying to disguise himself.
That is assuming that these bits take place before the Balance of Terror. Which they might not!

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 10-27-2008, 05:21 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA-1842 View Post
That is assuming that these bits take place before the Balance of Terror. Which they might not!
I think the Kelvin battle is supposed to take place before Kirk is born. I read that somewhere. Therefore, it would definitely take place before the events of BOT.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Captain

This is the caption under the Kelvin battle pic, I forget where.

Quote:
USS KELVIN: Before Kirk is even born, this ship comes under Romulan attack, launching the plot for the new movie

Who said the ship is upside down? Doesn't look upside down to me.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Midshipman

Personally I like the look of the new Enterprise set. For those of you who think the bridge and the ship should look like it did in the 60’s are fooling your self’s. The computer tech and control panels that people have in their houses and cars is more advanced then what was shown in TOS by a lot. By today’s standards the stuff used on TNG, DS9, and VOY is out of date, to be fair my Apple iTouch has a more advanced display. If we are to believe that this ship is from the 23rd century it needs to look like it. How many people are going to believe that bridge of the Enterprise should have great big toggle switches when our own computers have touch screens and voice recognition? The bridge and other locations have to look new they have to be updated so that people believe what they are being told.

I do believe that JJ should keep with cannon as much as possible however the ship needs a face lift and it should look like it’s from the future not from the Apollo missions.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:45 AM
Lieutenant

I agree (and I think most do) in that the bridge needed revamping, I just wish they didn't have the glass displays in the back where they don't make sense... other places would be fine, and the fancy salesroom style track lighting. I don't really have a problem with the rest of it.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 AM
Vice Admiral

for those who follow canon:guys dont u want to see new things for a change? i mean its not the end of the world if the enterprise grows a third nacelle in the back (a tiny one)
Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Captain

I think the best possible thing about a new NCC 1701 is how the transformation will be. Even with the remastered version of TOS (which I love dearly) the ship doesn't have the effect that the other ships do, the movement of it is not as smooth as say, NCC 1701 C, D or E. I think we are in for a great treat to see the greatest ship of all time, the original, take of at warp speed into the 21st century!!!!