The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
It's just style...look at Battlestar Galactica....that was...60's ( I believe)
Very Corney.
1978. It was an obvious attempt to capitalize on Star Wars, as was Buck Rogers (1979). That's why Phase II was scrapped in favor of TMP. Blame George Lucas.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Federation Councillor

Poor GL!!!!!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:04 AM
Banned

Da Enterprise:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/sc...reimagined.jpg

Fat nacelles must be in this quarter!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:55 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
True, it doesn't seem that one decade would make a lot of difference, but the version for TMP seemed to hold up pretty well for close to 15 years of movies. I think that's probably what Horatio meant.
The only reason TMP Enterprise seems to hold up better than TOS Enterprise is that the production values for TMP were much higher than for TOS. Given equal production values, TOS Enterprise would hold up just as well.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Vice Admiral

The fact of the matter is that what we want doesn't matter. I want to see something like deg3d's Enterprise. It is absolutely awesome. But, unfortunately, we are likely to see something like Gabe's version. Apparently, J.J. and company are changing things just because they can. Nobody at Paramount or Bad Robot cares what the real Star Trek fans want. All they care about is making money. And that is understandable since they are running a business and Star Trek is just a commodity of their business. If bringing in a new fan base means completely throwing out everything we know as Star Trek and doing a BSG-Style reboot (effectively negating the entire Star Trek universe as we know it), then so be it. That is what they have done. And that is what we are going to have to live with. It ain't your father's Star Trek anymore. I have a pretty good feeling that once we see this movie, it will be impossible to watch TOS or even TNG and be able to see a forward progression of time and technology. This new version of the OLD Star Trek appears to be more advanced than anything that has come after it in the Star Trek universe. That means that they are really starting over and we are not going to be able to put this movie with TOS and recognize anything. And it is done so there is really no point in arguing about it. We can't change anything. So in reality, this entire message board is completely pointless.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
The fact of the matter is that what we want doesn't matter. I want to see something like deg3d's Enterprise. It is absolutely awesome. But, unfortunately, we are likely to see something like Gabe's version. Apparently, J.J. and company are changing things just because they can. Nobody at Paramount or Bad Robot cares what the real Star Trek fans want. All they care about is making money. And that is understandable since they are running a business and Star Trek is just a commodity of their business. If bringing in a new fan base means completely throwing out everything we know as Star Trek and doing a BSG-Style reboot (effectively negating the entire Star Trek universe as we know it), then so be it. That is what they have done. And that is what we are going to have to live with. It ain't your father's Star Trek anymore. I have a pretty good feeling that once we see this movie, it will be impossible to watch TOS or even TNG and be able to see a forward progression of time and technology. This new version of the OLD Star Trek appears to be more advanced than anything that has come after it in the Star Trek universe. That means that they are really starting over and we are not going to be able to put this movie with TOS and recognize anything. And it is done so there is really no point in arguing about it. We can't change anything. So in reality, this entire message board is completely pointless.
I agree with a few of your points Mr Zim. You have said exactly what IS going on. This is a reboot, that NOW is a fact. I feel like I can say and make that judgement after seeing the footage yest. It is just like the whats happened to the new BSG series (which I'd say is excellent) but obviously a big massive budget version to be shown on the big screen.
In certain areas Hollywood are starting to get things right. Batman, Bond & now Star Trek. Yeah we have a 30 year history with the Trek shows and movies. But now it really IS time for something new and fresh.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 AM
Vice Admiral

My God. What have they done?
Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Slashfilm have a good pic of all the Enterprise's to date.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg evolutionoftheenterprisesmall.jpg (37.4 KB, 23 views)
Old 11-12-2008, 05:13 AM
Vice Admiral

Come on people! Is it just me or is that travesty the ugliest thing you have ever seen? This is horrible. They have ruined the Enterprise..
Old 11-12-2008, 05:15 AM
Ensign

I'm just looking at this movie as a parallel universe