The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
I'm curious: what would be the reason or purpose for swearing Koerner to secrecy about his supposed participation in the design of the film's ship? If actual artwork OF the eventual design isn't leaked, I'm not sure why his name or association would need to be a dark, contractual secret?
Very good point.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kallen View Post
Which ship is the "Enterprise Class"? The only time I've ever seen a mention of "The Enterpise Class" was I BELIEVE "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise", which is both non-conon and wrong. The 1701 from TMP, TWOK, and TSFS as well as the 1701-A from TVH, TFF, and TUC are Constitution Class Refit.

LOL. Yeah, the deflector dish especially does look like a Borg hookup...[/quote]

In Star Trek II TWoK we see on the simulator, Enterprise Class. So the name is canon.

Thus the first design was the Constitution Class and the Refit is called the Enterprise Class. Frankly, I love that. It's clearly the best design the Enterprises has ever seen and I was glad canon finally supported it because it doesn't allow any to take the Enterprise Class label later. I don't think any design could live up to the refit.

BUt I'm biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
I can't stand Gabe's design, esp the bussards and the deflector dish. As I said once before, the whole thing looks like something the Borg assimilated.
Same here. You said it best. It DOES look Borgi-fied. The guy was a guess on File Front Forums when he was trying out the design on the fans and I told him it was garbage. (I didn't know at the time he was hired by Paramount) But I told him the ship was butt ugly. Then I broke down where he went wrong...(pretty much everywhere).

Old 11-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
Can you post any links to images of the white ship?
http://www.gabekoerner.com/ent/

This is the index site for Gabe's Enterprise designs. Click on the image place holders to view the full-size images and you will see some of the "white" versions of the ship. This may not be the ones you're talking about, but they are white and not as radically designed as the ones we see most often. This is probably a "preliminary" design study because it doesn't have very much surface detail. This is not a bad design. I just don't care much for the engineering hul design. It's too "Busy" and not smooth enough. But overall, this isn't bad. If they end up using something like this, it won't be as bad as using the final Gabe "Grey" design, IMO.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 11-07-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:08 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Thus the first design was the Constitution Class and the Refit is called the Enterprise Class.
Not necessarily. It's vague as to what "Enterprise Class" means canonically.

While the name did appear in Star Trek II, it could easily be interpreted as meaning that the cadet group was the "Enterprise Class" if they were training on an Enterprise simulator.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Ensign

If I had to decide on a design, I'd be ok with either of these two. I personally like Mad Koi Fish's design more, but I think they're both a good update of the original design. I also like deg's, but I don't think JJ would stick that closely to the original (albeit beautiful).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg enterprise_v2_painting.jpg (34.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg tos-connie-676.jpg (23.4 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
http://www.gabekoerner.com/ent/

This is the index site for Gabe's Enterprise designs. Click on the image place holders to view the full-size images and you will see some of the "white" versions of the ship. This may not be the ones you're talking about, but they are white and not as radically designed as the ones we see most often. This is probably a "preliminary" design study because it doesn't have very much surface detail. This is not a bad design. I just don't care much for the engineering hul design. It's too "Busy" and not smooth enough. But overall, this isn't bad. If they end up using something like this, it won't be as bad as using the final Gabe "Grey" design, IMO.
This was the ship..."The White" I was looking for yesterday. I like this much more. It's not quite there...but it's an 84% improvement over the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH The KING View Post
Not necessarily. It's vague as to what "Enterprise Class" means canonically.

While the name did appear in Star Trek II, it could easily be interpreted as meaning that the cadet group was the "Enterprise Class" if they were training on an Enterprise simulator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkirok View Post
If I had to decide on a design, I'd be ok with either of these two. I personally like Mad Koi Fish's design more, but I think they're both a good update of the original design. I also like deg's, but I don't think JJ would stick that closely to the original (albeit beautiful).
Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
MA has some nice tidbits about the "Enterprise Class": http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Enterprise_class

Frankly, I never saw this tiny detail in TWOK and obviously it is either a mistake or a special designation for the simulator.
That's the thing. I don't interpret it. I understand your angst but it says Enterprise Class. The SimulatorBridge was the same bridge Kirk and his crew traveled...thus the Simulation is that of an Enterprise Class Starship. I have no reason to modify the canon with any other reasoning. It didn't say Reliant, Grissom or Excelsior. And we know the First ship of a class is bearer of the class name.
Further Constitution II has never appeared in canon.

Sorry for being a canonite but this one is cut and dry for me.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
That's the thing. I don't interpret it. I understand your angst but it says Enterprise Class. The SimulatorBridge was the same bridge Kirk and his crew traveled...thus the Simulation is that of an Enterprise Class Starship. I have no reason to modify the canon with any other reasoning. It didn't say Reliant, Grissom or Excelsior. And we know the First ship of a class is bearer of the class name.

Further Constitution II has never appeared in canon.

Sorry for being a canonite but this one is cut and dry for me.
"Enterprise Class" did appear on the bridge, but since it was simply a simulator, there's nothing to suggest it specifically relates to a "class" in the context of a ship, rather than "class" in the context of academics.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Vice Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamkirok View Post
Looks like the first pic is a more detailed version of Gabe's "white" Enterprise design. I too like the Mad Koi Fish design, but to me it looks too much like the refit from the movies. The first pic, to me, looks more like it could be the TOS Enterprise with more detail. Either one would be okay with me. But the "Borg-ified" version of Gabe's design is just a little too much.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Vice Admiral

See the similarities? I'm pretty sure the top version is Gabe's "White" design painted and with more detail.

Last edited by I-Am-Zim : 11-07-2008 at 08:35 AM.