The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > New Enterprise...
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Fleet Admiral

Well if Mr.Koerner were involved, it would make sense to deny his work because everyone would already know from his previous design how the E might look like.
But the little we know so far is that Paramount did not allow JJ et al to change the exterior of the E as much as the interior.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
To be honest, I hope that the final version is not Gabe’s design (at least the one I have seen online) as it is two angular in nature, the Enterprise looks best sleek and simple in my view, I think that the 1701-A is the best design to date.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Am-Zim View Post
I think that this particular design is the best I have seen so far. It retains the look of the original Enterprise with just enough "tweaking" to make it look modern and up to date. I've seen many re-imaginings of the NCC-1701 including Gabe's design, but this one by deg is absolutely beautiful to me. I think if they are going to update the look of the Big-E, this one should be it. Check out his site. There are a lot more views. And as cool as Gabe's design is, it just won't work. It's too rough, "clunky" and military looking for my taste.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
I'm with you....Normally I like the angular look.
Like the Enterprise Class but this is too much and far too much detail.

I can't stand Gabe's design, esp the bussards and the deflector dish. As I said once before, the whole thing looks like something the Borg assimilated.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Broadway View Post
Actually, that's not Gabe's Enterprise. It's made by a very talented guy over at scifi-meshes.com...

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/3...nterprise.html
Well, except for some of the details of the secondary hull, this pic is otherwise identical to Gabe's.
Old 11-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist
I'm with you....Normally I like the angular look.
Like the Enterprise Class but this is too much and far too much detail.
Which ship is the "Enterprise Class"? The only time I've ever seen a mention of "The Enterpise Class" was I BELIEVE "Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise", which is both non-conon and wrong. The 1701 from TMP, TWOK, and TSFS as well as the 1701-A from TVH, TFF, and TUC are Constitution Class Refit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08
I'm curious: what would be the reason or purpose for swearing Koerner to secrecy about his supposed participation in the design of the film's ship? If actual artwork OF the eventual design isn't leaked, I'm not sure why his name or association would need to be a dark, contractual secret?
Because JJ has been SUPER SECRETIVE about this project, and ESPECIALLY the Enterprise herself. So, in my opinion and my theory, IF Gabe's Enterprise design is used (either wholly as we've seen it or is strongly based upon his design) JJ wants that under wraps. Since his design has been online for a couple years now, it's gonna be hard to prevent people from associating the similarities. So, so keep it as secretive as possible, wouldn't JJ make Gabe's contract pretty strict? So if Gabe were to answer "No comment" that would be the same basically as saying "YUP!! That's my ship!!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by veudoc
I can't stand Gabe's design, esp the bussards and the deflector dish. As I said once before, the whole thing looks like something the Borg assimilated.
LOL. Yeah, the deflector dish especially does look like a Borg hookup...
Old 11-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
Well if Mr.Koerner were involved, it would make sense to deny his work because everyone would already know from his previous design how the E might look like.
But the little we know so far is that Paramount did not allow JJ et al to change the exterior of the E as much as the interior.
No, they'd know what Koerner's previous, independent artwork of the Enterprise would look like -- which does not necessarily mean that's what the film's ship looks like. As you note, the studio said the exterior of the ship was to remain very close in design -- Koerner's artwork takes all kinds of liberties with his renderings.

So, one could presume the film's Enterprise would indeed NOT look like all the altered versions of the ship he's painted.

Besides, how different can the ship look anyway if only minor changes are allowed. A saucer and two nacelles, secondary hull -- his previous art will look at lot like the film's ship in general, and probably vary quite a bit in detail. Just like five other TREK artists they could pick. Where's the secret to keep in that as far as who did the work? If he did any designs for the film, that MATERIAL would be kept hidden... not his participation.

I believe him about not working on the film... just like I believe a certain actor who said he wasn't IN the film.

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 11-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionTrek08 View Post
Besides, how different can the ship look anyway if only minor changes are allowed. A saucer and two nacelles, secondary hull -- his previous art will look at lot like the film's ship in general, and probably vary quite a bit in detail. Just like five other TREK artists they could pick. Where's the secret to keep in that as far as who did the work? If he did any designs for the film, that MATERIAL would be kept hidden... not his participation.

I believe him about not working on the film... just like I believe a certain actor who said he wasn't IN the film.
As i said, this is just my theory. But since ALL of Gabe's designs are the same ship with small detail differences, IF it were known he was involved, we'd pretty much know what the E looks like specifically in this movie. Since JJ is wanting this to remain a secret, how could he or Gabe acknowledge his involvement?
I am NOT in any way making the argument that I am right, unlike some people who believe the return of..."him"....... But IF "he" is in the movie, I'd think it's possible that the denial is there for the same reason...JJ's perverse desire for secrecy. All I'm saying is, that with JJ's attitude about secrets and surprise revealings, I think both are possible. But look at Gabes E and the E in the teaser..the exact same nacell design. That nacell design was first created by Gabe. So whether Gabe personally designed this movie's E, or someone else based their design on Gabe's...then either way, Gabe's E is there.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Commander

Next friday (next Thursday at midnight for the lucky few able to make it to sneak previews, of which I will not be one) Quantum Of Solace will premier in the United States. Before the film there should be a brand spanking new Trailer for Star Trek XI. It should show at least more of the Enterprise than was shown in the teaser. If it doesn't show the entire ship, I may start wondering If Abrams really does have a perverse and overdeveloped sense of secrecy, but I don't think that will happen, I believe he'll show the ship in all it's glory. However it looks, that's what we'll all be stuck with. If it turns out to be Gabe's ship, or a reasonable facsimile thereof, then all I have to say is this, and you may quote me: "It could have been worse, a lot worse." , and it could have. Personally, if the trailer is any indication whatsoever of the final design, then i'd say it's going to be an unfortunate hybrid of the primary and secondary hulls of the TMP ship, with nacelles from Gabe's design. That to me, would be much worse than just using Gabe's design as Gabe designed it.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuedoc View Post
You are quite correct that ‘Mr. Scott’s guide to the Enterprise’ talks about the post-refit as the ‘Enterprise Class’ and when people talk about ‘Enterprise Class’ I think it is safe to assume that we are talking about the movie era Constitution class. Which is still my favorite design overall. Sure it may not be ‘cannon’ but it is easy enough to use as a reference.

I also agree with you 100% that the ‘Gabe’ class Enterprise looks like the Borg did a extreme makeover on the good old starship.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcrawford View Post
You are quite correct that ‘Mr. Scott’s guide to the Enterprise’ talks about the post-refit as the ‘Enterprise Class’ and when people talk about ‘Enterprise Class’ I think it is safe to assume that we are talking about the movie era Constitution class. Which is still my favorite design overall. Sure it may not be ‘cannon’ but it is easy enough to use as a reference.

I also agree with you 100% that the ‘Gabe’ class Enterprise looks like the Borg did a extreme makeover on the good old starship.
You know, before Gabriel Koerner came up with his final version of the Enterprise that we're always seeing pictures of, I like to refer to this as "Gabe's Gray Ship", He did another model in white. This slightly earlier concept is the one I really like. It's much a more traditional, and yet modernized version of the Constitution class, and it is stark raving beautiful. If that early design, that i refer to as "Gabe's White Ship", was used as the Enterprise in Star Trek XI, I would be a very contented Trekkie.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsieurHood View Post
You know, before Gabriel Koerner came up with his final version of the Enterprise that we're always seeing pictures of, I like to refer to this as "Gabe's Gray Ship", He did another model in white. This slightly earlier concept is the one I really like. It's much a more traditional, and yet modernized version of the Constitution class, and it is stark raving beautiful. If that early design, that i refer to as "Gabe's White Ship", was used as the Enterprise in Star Trek XI, I would be a very contented Trekkie.
Can you post any links to images of the white ship?