The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What Choice Was There?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaelmar View Post
Okay, then, go do it better. Can you? If not, then please explore why you are complaining about it?
You don't know that it cost money to make films?
Give me the budget of any of tng films and with the exception of First Contact i could easily make vastly better films.
For a start i would keep the characters the same as were in the series rather than different characters with the same names.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:25 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygrrius View Post
This is a great point. In fact, if Star Trek doesn't introduce new ideas and concepts but, rather, only focuses on hitting well-established notes of the past, then it is setting itself up for failure.

However, I think we're going to be in for a lot of surprises.

As for canon and the franchise's "definitions," I don't mind if they stretch things a bit as long as it makes logical sense within the context of the story they're trying to tell.

Besides, with TOS there's still a lot of gray area that could be filled in. I think a lot of fans (and I don't mean you, Ethaelmar) take the Star Trek Encyclopedia and the Star Trek Chronology to be canon. While they are both fine works, they also contain a lot of conjecture, particularly about Kirk and co.

As long as we allow them some literary license, there's plenty of room for J.J. Abrams and his team to tell new, exciting stories in this timeframe and keep the franchise moving forward.
Keep in mind any conjecture the Okudas did in those books is a) clearly marked as such and b ) based on pertinent canon.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyplop View Post
Call it what you like but I've a feeling what's coming will have a feel and quality UNLIKE anything we've seen since ST:TMP hit the big screen. The difference between the 60's TV show and what was put up on the silver screen by Robert Wise was tangiable - what you've seen up to now compared to what Abrams is doing will be a similar leap forward. Otherwise what's the point? He knows this.

For those of you with short memories - the hype around the TMP movie was huge. The hype around this will be BIGGER and it's beginning now.

Which Star Trek film has had this level of marketing and hype around it a year before it came out? Websites - cryptic shots of corridors - obtuse angles of the ship being built - and pages on another site debating a blurred camera phone image of a bridge console.

Too many Star Trek fans think Star Trek is their dirty little secret but this film - IMO - is going to change all that. Get with the program or get out of the way..!!

HUGE I TELL YOU - HUGE...!!
ST:TMP also picked up where TOS left off and continued the TOS story forward...with the cast that we knew and recognized.

The new movie goes boldly where we've already been before...
Old 02-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal View Post
If the other titles had of been done well, then there would be no cause for re-invention... especially if the re-invention was as poorly done as the cancelled original.
I'm not sure if you're calling TOS "poorly done" here, or BSG-TOS...
Old 02-06-2008, 04:54 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wal View Post
Oh my.
Struck a nerve did we?
Here... allow me to elaborate:

A) Weak characters,
B) Weak dialogue
and
C) Wishy-washy plots.
That didn't elaborate on anything...just repeated what you'd already said.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:00 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon_Coast_Trekkie View Post
Another thing we need to remember: TOS wasn't popular during it's original tv run. In fact, if you remember, it took begging and pleading to even get a 3RD season. Even for the 60's, most people thought it was cheese. Even though I like TOS, I fully recognize it's cheesiness.
On the contrary...when the Neilsen system was overhauled and went to a demographics system a year after TOS was cancelled, they found out TOS was very strong in the show's target audience...it wasn't a major hit, but it's numbers were far better than NBC had been led to believe by the old system. Star Trek always had it's audience and popularity...the network just never knew it. That's why the numbers did well in syndication...the same people continued to watch Trek reruns and new people came on board.

And I for one as someone who has been with Trek since the beginning never thought of TOS as "cheesy"...