The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I think the new film is not entirely a prequel (possible spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 01:23 PM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I'm with Quark on this one, the only problem is your post isn't likely to convince anyone unless they didn't already know about the leaked story elements.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Rear Admiral

Well, for those that do know...lol
Old 02-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Rear Admiral

I'm sure Abrams is going to but us fans in consideration, just as he is with the new comers. And hey, if new comers really enjoy the film, they may want more of Star Trek, and then we could finally get the STC (Star Trek Channel)! That would be ****ing awesome!
Old 02-05-2008, 11:35 PM
Midshipman

I just wish this was a post Nemesis movie. I hope I am wrong, but I think the prequel idea is a mistake, I mean look how Enterprise flopped. And seriously, this Nero character cannot possibly be a better villain than Khan. No arch nemesis will ever top Khan Noonien Singh. EVER. Well we will see won't we.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:58 AM
Ensign

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardaukar1977 View Post
No arch nemesis will ever top Khan Noonien Singh. EVER. Well we will see won't we.
Quoted for truth. With every film comes a new villain, with a backstory they have to invent from scratch. Howabout reintroducing a known bad guy? Take TNG, there were characters which practically cryed out for the big screen treatment. Tomalak for instance. Q could've been brought in, for a lighter contrast to the Khan "I have an axe to grind" style wannabes. Same old, same old... must go out with a bang in the last reel.

Last edited by ChristopherPike : 02-06-2008 at 04:03 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Ensign

Aside from the alleged leaked information on the plot, is there any concrete official evidence that Nero is either Romulan, or from the future?

While I recognize that this rumor may be truthful, as there are always possibilities, It occurs to me that the security focused on the film's production is too tight for this information to be casually leaked.

what we may be dealing with is what my associates amongst the comic book fan community refer to as a "nerd Rumor" which by definition is a rumored statement of an untrue nature regarding unreleased material designed to draw attention.

Has anyone even considered this information may be simply that?

Keep in mind that interviews on the internet can easily be falsified, such as the rumor that Brent Spiner was on BBC news stating that he was going to return in the next film. (This took place shortly after nemesis), and let us not forget the rumor that Matt Damon recieved Shatner's blessing to be the new Kirk, when in truth, Damon was never approached, and Shatner had not even heard this film was being made at that time.

Again not to invalidate what has been said, as it MIGHT be true...

But logically, one must assume that many unfounded rumors would be surfacing for a film this anticipated.

Last edited by Spock2015 : 02-06-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Ensign

You know what would be sweet? If the film starts not only with present day Spock but present day Spock on Titan during the events in Taking Wing. We could get to see Titan & maybe Cpt. Riker, Deanna & the Titan crew.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Ensign

If Nero doesn't have the TNG-style bumpy forehead, which was never seen in any original Trek movies, including STVI, which was made after TNG began, people would assume he was a Vulcan in the past. If Nero's interference in the timeline was substantial enough, it would presumably cause the universe to 'split,' a la Parallels resulting in a separate timeline.

My speculation about things Nero might get up to: he kills Kirk's father and causes Christopher Pike's accident!!!

Nimoy's older Spock, if he is indeed a time traveller, will more likely be a sort of observer, occasionally interacting with characters to keep history reasonably on track.

I wouldn't be surprised if he calls himself 'Selek' for these scenes!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if he calls himself 'Selek' for these scenes!
Oh yeah! That would be sweet! Now we would be able to tie in Animated Trek with another film. First Tiberius, first being heard in TAS and mentioned in STVI, now Selek!
Old 02-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

As long as they dont have those goofy force field belts.