The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > I think the new film is not entirely a prequel (possible spoilers)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Captain

I think you will find that Nimoy is the only cast member not signed to a three film deal.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:29 PM
Ensign

We do know how long Spock was on Romulus for 3 weeks, then Starfleet found out, sent Picard and Data and then he ended up staying he had only been on Romulus 3 weeks before the events of Unification.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quark View Post
If you think about it, the new film is not entirely a prequel. Yes, it will focus on Kirk's beginnings with his crew, however let's not forget about Nimoy being in the film. I hear that the film is going to begin in the TNG era, with Ambassador Spock negotiating on Romulus. However, when Nero goes back in time to kill Kirk and take over the Federation, Older Spock will have to follow him in order to set things right. So, the reality of the film will be TNG, yet it will dominantly be in the TOS era. So, for those of you thinking that this will be a pointless film, keep your minds open. Again, all this im sure is subject to change, yet it would make sense since they are using Nimoy, who will just look older since 1991.
I think this is good news. It sounds like a good way to tie the previous series with the new movie. Sounds like they thought about the fans and thats good. It should make the new characters more believable (Fingers crossed).
Old 02-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Ensign

I believe this may be the same reason that you have someone so young playing spock's mother (winona Ryder) It is possible they may intend flash backs. Time travel need not be the only literary device needed for such a possibility.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 AM
Commander

Spock2015, very true. Look at Lost, JJs other brainchild for storytelling of this nature.

Spock's time travel might be a simple device to let us see how Spock, Kirk and the Enterprise develop into the original series characters and positions we know and love.

Perhaps in the same way that the Enterprise herself is basically a way to get to other worlds, and tell us stories on a weekly basic.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:14 AM
Rear Admiral

My first thought when hearing about Nimoy being in this film, was about Nimoy gathering either young Vulcans, Romulans, or Starfleet personel, sit in front of a fire or something, and tell the story of how he had met Kirk. However, what would be the point of Nero then?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Ensign

Nero could simply be a generic villain, there is no real indication of where he came from as of yet, in TOS, the Enterprise encountered many obsticles, some more memorable than others. To me the name Nero strikes me a a sort of B-movie sci-fi villain, and perhaps JJ is planning that vibe to bring a more theatrical sense to Trek... I don't know this for sure, as this is wild speculation.

They are keeping such a tight lid on the plot of the film that at this point nothing that we hear or see, that is rumored to have been leaked, can truely be considered official.

Though If I were to conjecture... It is entirely possible that Nimoy could in fact be playing a present day Spock, but for all we are aware, he could only have a small part perhaps toward the end, maybe as a flash-forward... or he is seen throughout the film flashing back... of this I cannot be certain, but I always assumed Nero was a villain that would originate from the younger Spock's era, rather than be a 24th century villain. But again this is only my conjecture, and the film may of course contradict it, as we learn more about the film as we grow closer to it's release.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:53 AM
Commander

Actually, I believe Spock will meet his younger self.

There have been scenes, aparently, where both Spock actors have appeared together (read in interviews).

Nero would have to be from the future, otherwise we'd have to break canon big time (Balance of Terror, Romulans had never been seen face to face. Neutral Zone negotiated over subspace radio).
Old 02-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Midshipman

Here's what I got to say about it....If you're a TRUE fan you'd wait for the movie to come out. Let's take this example: My co-worker a long time ago wanted to see movie Nacho libre, but his buddy kept saying "this part when he did this was soo funny (details given)" then the next day a new detail and so on....eventually when my co-worker saw the movie it wasn't funny, all the stuff that would have been funny due to the "unexpected" nature of it was all lost. If you want to enjoy the movie, forget of what other people say it's going to be about. In reality we all know how it's going to end. he becomes captain!! duh -.- just watch the movie to enjoy another star trek event. If you go through the whole movie "that's not supposed to happen! my friend said this would happen, imdb said that would happen and blah blah blah..." you're gonna kill it for yourself, for the guys around you, and for those who really actually want to enjoy the movie but can't cause some trek fan is having a pouting fit. The movie's a secret for a reason. Think about it carefully....
Old 02-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Commander

Savigejr,

You are on a public forum reading potential spoiler after potential spoiler, looking at all of our speculation (which is always fun), and concerns (which show we ARE fans, since we are paying attention to what is put out by the producers and commenting on it).

Some of us enjoy the speculation, guessing and talking about our beloved Star Trek.

I might suggest that if you wish to avoid spoilers, you might avoid online forums.

My wife refused to read any reviews or anything about Cloverfield, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I read many reviews, viewpoints and spoilers, and I ALSO enjoyed it.

People are different, and react differently to spoilers or guesswork.

Until the final movie, it is all guesswork anyway.