The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > ive got cancer I'm REALLY scared
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2008, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Cancer is beatable. My wife's mother was diagnosed with Breast cancer (They caught it early) but she's still with us and is a spunky as ever. Your in my thoughts too.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 10-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Admiral

Buffs, I'm so sorry to hear this. But as many others have said, it is beatable and mindset and friends and family have everything to do with fighting it. Your in my thoughts as well, keep strong.

"Death, delicious strawberry flavored death!"
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Vice Admiral

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, Europe, Terra - ZZ9 PluralZAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saquist View Post
Some believe in the power of the mind to effect changes in the body. Some have sworn by it. Whether by science or faith there is one thing evident. Your emotional disposition affects the body.
Your mind controls your body, your body fights the cancer. With a highly positive attitude, the part of your mind that controls all of your hidden functions is more effective. So, in the words of Galaxy Quest Commander Taggart: ''Never give up; Never surrender!''

(And an indirectly founding patron of the Elizadolots Avatar Thingy.)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Ensign

My aunt was diagnosed with Colon cancer I guess about three years ago, and was not expected to see another Christmas, (btw she's seen three now), and while it had spread to her liver and things were looking way worse in the early stages, she is now Colon Cancer free and still keeping up the fight. I know I haven't been here long, but just know that even those who don't know you that well are thinking of you and wishing you the best of luck. If anything the massive amounts of "win" you are accumulating just by being a part of this forum are making you basically awesome+a bajillion which everyone knows is Cancer's greatest weakness. Keep up the spirit and you remain in my thoughts.

"It's worked so far but we're not out yet."- Leonard "Bones" McCoy
Old 10-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Lieutenant

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Cancer is such an ugly, horrible thing. It's so sad to think that everybody has either had cancer or knows (or is related to) someone who has. I wish we could eradicate it.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Early detection and treatement are the key with Colon Cancer. Don't put off seeing a doctor. Alot of times it can be removed, or treated with 100% suvival rate.

I know this from personal experience.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:19 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Pray as if there were nothing you can do, and act as if eveything depended on what you do.

If you do this - you can't lose.

To paraphrase a famous Captain... Don't believe in a no-win scenario.

You will prevail! God bless.

Last edited by Star Trek : 10-25-2008 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Buffs,

I have type 2 diabetes. Every single day I am reminded that if I don't watch what I eat and what I do...later on down the line it could cost me a limb...an eye...or maybe even my life.

I know what it's like to live with a noose around your neck every single day. You can't give up man. Ever. You can't let some damn stupid sickness in your body take you and destroy you. I'm not one to be sympathetic, but honestly I understand how scared you can be when you don't know what's going on with your own body.

I had a panic attack a year ago...after I got diagnosed. And I swore to God I was having a heart attack and was dying. I was scared out of my MIND. Mainly I felt like wow...I'm 24 and this is it man. I'm a dead man already.

Turns out it was just a panic attack...but every single day since then...even today...I think about death. What it will be like...will I be scared? Will there be nothingness when I close my eyes or will there be so much more that I cannot even begin to comprehend it.

You'll be fine Buffs...you just can't let fear run your life like it has mine for so long. Cancer is just a six letter word...and it can be beaten.

Stay Strong Buddy. Don't ever give in.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Lieutenant Commander

Het, Buffs, How you doin'? I've been praying for you and hoping every thing turns out alright...

My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 36; She had the operation, and 'cause she caught it early, she didn't even have to have any other treatment... but 24 years later, just when I was 35, she Started feeling and sounding and looked bad... but by the time me and my Dad finally got her to go to the doctor, It was way too late, and she died of lung cancer just over two years ago. Only six weeks before my 36th B-day.

My point is... when she thought she was done for, she fought hard and won, but because the first time went so easy, she thought it wasn't such a big deal when it mattered. Please, even when you beat this one, don't let your guard down ever, that way you'll always be able to catch it in time... this goes for more than just cancer, too.

Im still keeping you in my thoughts and prayers, and if you want to talk, PM me and I send you my e-mail so we can chat!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:32 AM
Commander

I got the final date for the surgery. Next Wednesday. The 29'th.