The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > ive got cancer I'm REALLY scared
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 04:22 AM
Vice Admiral

come on buffs.You can get through this! We all know you can! When i was a baby, i had a omphalisile hernia. I had 4 surgerys, and a permanent scare on my stomach. *( Which, unfortunitly meant no belly butten.LOL)
After 3 fun long months in the hospital, i finally came home. Thats a survival story. Just don't focus on it that much ( daily life) ( You might want to focus medicalwise) Think happy! Heres something! Trailer in less then a month!!!!!!
Mr Sopock says live long and prosper!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Commander

thanks so much you guys!
I'm getting a lot of help and support from my family and friends (including you guys!)
So thanks so much!
The doctor has told me that the specific placement, type, ect will make it easier to get rid of, I'm going in for a surgery in 3 weeks, followed by treatments.
So I'm gonna beat this!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Federation Councillor

Yes, you are!! That's the approach to take!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffs79 View Post
hey.. about the past month I've just gotten progressively worse signs of colon cancer. Mainly last week, it picked up. So I went to get checked out and I've got it. I am SO SCARED about what will happen. I've really just got to have some sympathy, cause' my life has been crazy for the past few days and now I'm just really sad and depressed

Some believe in the power of the mind to effect changes in the body. Some have sworn by it. Whether by science or faith there is one thing evident. Your emotional disposition affects the body.

This is a time not to focus on yourself and your predicament but to help and up build others. Humans gather esteem from the outside not as much from within. By being cause of positive emotions you will be a reciever of positive feeling. One face sharping the face of another.

But know this Buffs79 no obsticale is completely insurmountable.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:14 PM
Captain

Everyone here has said some wonderful and true things. My wife is an oncology treatment nurse and I have always been amazed by how well she can deal with an issue that I have difficulty confronting in my own patients. She encourages her patients to talk about things. Support is of utmost importance. Do not keep your feelings and fears to yourself. That's what friends, family, this forum, and support groups are for. Don't be ashamed to talk about it. It is not a sign of emotional weakness to be frightened. My partner is trying to be a martyr with his own cancer scare now and I frankly wish that he'd be more open about things rather than keeping them private. I believe a certain starfleet captain once said that sorrow shared is halved while happiness shared is doubled.

No matter how much faith you have in your doctors, do not be afraid to seek other opinions. I have a lot of respect for my own patients who do that, especially for issues that can be life threatening. YOU are the patient. YOU are the one that has to be satisfied. Don't be concerned about offending people while you're trying to find the best answers to your questions. They are professionals and they won't be insulted. If they are, they they should not be treating you.

The human mind is incredibly powerful and I do believe that it has the ability to affect prognoses of serious illnesses. The positive outlook everyone is recommending is very important. While I am a Western-trained physician, I believe in the power of non-traditional methods to help patients deal with and conquer illness. I encourage reading about your condition and about others who have dealt with it in order to ease your mind and help focus your psyche on the healing process.

You have my best wishes for a full and speedy recovery. I hope the time ahead for you goes as smoothly as possible and that you can find peace within yourself as the issue is dealt with.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Commander

hang in there and like many have all ready said family and friends are your best support. If you belive in a higher being ask him for his blessing

Old 10-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Admiral

My father had colon surgery for cancer the year I graduated from high school. Just this week, 30 years after that, I took him in for a routine colonoscopy which showed nothing of concern.....this is absolutely beatable! Stay strong!

Thanks to Ron Salon for the signature banner!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Fleet Admiral

Think strong, be strong. The above advice is right: your mental attitude will play a huge part in your quick and full recovery. Your mind and body are one, and as you think positively, positive energy will result. Be better soon!

MISSION:TREK's in-depth review of STAR TREK

Proud member of the Friends of Zardoz Association. Avatar courtesy of Eliza's House of Avatars with three convenient locations near you. Free balloons for the kids!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:45 PM
Rear Admiral

Like the others've said , be strong, be positive and as you've done here reach out and touch some one. You are not alone. Please know we care.

Thomas Pynchon
'GRAVITY'S RAINBOW'
Old 10-19-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Metal Beastie View Post
Like the others've said , be strong, be positive and as you've done here reach out and touch some one. You are not alone. Please know we care.
This sums it up for me too. Know you're in many people's thoughts.