The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Off Topic Discussions > Common Courtesies going away?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2008, 09:51 AM
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I feel it depends on the curtosey in question.

Should we nod, or smile at passerbys? Depends on where you live. I wouldn't in LA or NYC, but would in a smaller comminuty.

Door opening, as a woman I could care less if it's done in the everyday world. It's cute on a date sometimes, as is pulling out a chair. But not for everyday.

I could give a crap less about tipping of hats, or removal of them in buildings.

I agree good table manners are a must for everyone.

Curisng, again, time and place.

Hand kissing, depnds on the person. If they come from a country/culture where it is accepted pratice, sure. But I have had too many guys locally try to kiss my hand that were just trying to impress, or hoping to get more. Bad form!

Saquist, I have never heard of spitting as a sign of pot smoking. It is of tobacco overuse, of course. Could you site your authority for your statement? Or is it just something you heard?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Fleet Admiral

Well, let's see....

Opening of doors for women. I've done this many times, but on a few occasions actually got rebuked for my gentlemanly nature by feminazis who said: "I could've gotten that myself!" I replied in kind: "Oh, forgive me. I completely forgot that in this era of political correctness that being a gentleman was a horrible sin. Allow me to reciprocate by letting the door hit you in the *** on the way in."

Wearing of hats indoors. Laziness to remove hats. Besides, some folks aren't fond of showing off "hat head", which is like "sleep head" except your hair is matted against your head because of wearing a hat or cap, as opposed to lying your head down on a table.

Spitting on sidewalks. At least they aren't whizzing or making monkey mustard on the sidewalk.

Frack all this....

Here's what grinds my gears....

Whatever happened to courtesies you used to get when going into a fast food restaraunt?! I'll tell you what happened. Folks realized that working in fast food restaraunts are "go nowhere" jobs, and regardless of the fact that it is a JOB (perhaps the only one they could get), they do not show their appreciation of said job by being indifferent, or sometimes even downright rude to the customers.

Used to be: "Welcome to (fast food restaraunt of choice). How may I help you?"
Now it's: "What do you want?"

Used to be: "Would you like fries or a drink with that?" or "Would you like the combo?"
Now it's: "Anything else?"

Used to be: "Thank you for coming to (fast food restaraunt of choice). Have a nice day."
Now it's: "Next!"

Used to be: "I'm sorry that we got your order wrong. We'll take care of it immediately." or "Would you like to speak to our manager?"
Now it's: "Talk to the manager!"

Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM
Ensign

I know exactly what you mean about the fast food industry. For the brief period in high school when I was employed by said industry, I found it awful that no one around me used manners at all.

Now being a college student, I notice that in such a crazed environment such as this, people have no manners what so ever. I was raised to always be polite to everyone, elder or not. Some people here can be such, D!cks.
I will admit that I do cuss, and I have been told many times that it is unlady-like, or unattractive and my honest opinion is that I don't care. It's how I choose to express myself, and with such a short leash of freedom of expression anymore, I will take advantage of this for a long as I possibly can.
And spitting just grosses me out. I can't spit. I'm sure I could if I tried really hard, but I have a huge mental block against it, and watching another person do so makes me want to vomit.

"It's worked so far but we're not out yet."- Leonard "Bones" McCoy
Old 10-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Federation Councillor

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Well, let's see....

Opening of doors for women. I've done this many times, but on a few occasions actually got rebuked for my gentlemanly nature by feminazis who said: "I could've gotten that myself!" I replied in kind: "Oh, forgive me. I completely forgot that in this era of political correctness that being a gentleman was a horrible sin. Allow me to reciprocate by letting the door hit you in the *** on the way in."
I know I possibly shouldn't but I would be tempted to say the same if I was insulted for attempting some common courtesy like that myself! Some days you just can't win!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:40 PM
Lieutenant

Well lucky for me i've never been yelled at for holding a door open for anyone and i do that quite often. If i see someone behind me ill just hold the door open and go in after them. I barely ever wear a hat so the taking the hat off thing doesnt really apply to me. If im walking along and i see someone i know ill usually say "hello", or if im really bored and we have plenty of time, ill go with the good old "Greetings and Salutations"
Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Captain

What really ticks me off is when I'm out with my wife in a restaurant the server will without exception interrupt our conversation to ask "How's that taste?" or "Can I get anything for you guys?" or "Blahblahblah? Blah?" The more they interrupt the smaller the tip. Being called "you guys" tweaks me, too. What happened to "folks" or "sir" and "ma'am"?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Federation Councillor

The 'you guys' part doesn't really bother me, but if the staff are too intrusive during the meal, or we feel they're trying to be too helpful, in order to get a better tip, we usually reduce it to the basic expected. But if someone is genuinely helpful without getting in the way of our meal, I'd usually increase it from the basic.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:45 PM
Admiral

My biggest complaint at a restaurant is when the waiter or waitress takes FORVER to bring me my ticket so I can leave.
Founding member of The League of Extraordinary Oddballs
A new tech support site http://www.community.jvgeek.com
Old 10-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditroi View Post
Well yeah... courting... those two guys wanted to "court" me. But they beat around the bush and turned out to be spineless losers... sigh. Such is my life.
I'm curious, just what exactly made them "spineless losers"? I personally don't miss expressions of politeness half as much as I miss compassion, caring and a willingness to help others. Get people to treat each other decently again and then we can talk about hat tipping.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Starkiller View Post
My biggest complaint at a restaurant is when the waiter or waitress takes FORVER to bring me my ticket so I can leave.

I concur.