The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > USS Kelvin?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2008, 10:02 AM
Midshipman

Re. The Registry; maybe they're going with the old 'Naval Construction Contract' concept, with Matt Jeffries's idea of the first two digits indicating class and the second two being the production number?

I.e:
USS Kelvin; Class-5 starship, production unit #14 (15th constructed)
USS Enterprise; Class-17 starship, production unit #1 (2nd constructed)
USS Excelsior; Class-20 starship, production unit #0 (prototype / 1st constructed)
etc.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:37 AM
Fleet Admiral

I suppose anything is possible but I don't think there is any information to glean from the presence of the zero or the later absence of the zero. In the end it'll be trivia or trivial.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:42 AM
Banned

USS Kelvin NCC 0514 Dharma Class Cruiser
The brown thing below the thin saucer is obviously the main deflector, (TOS) sytle, attached to the secondary hull. The eye type thing on top is the naccelle. Sucha a nacelle configuration makes it an ansector to the Saladin class, (TMP era) and the Freedom Class, (TNG era).
It is NOT upside down, as some people on Trekmovie think.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Lieutenant

When you compare this image with the other Kelvin image, the black strips are simply shadows.

The brown thing below the saucer isn't obviously the main deflector, I think the blue thing on top is the deflector and the brown/reddish thing is actually the bussard collector for the nacelle.

I agree with you on the classes of ships this could be the ancestor of, and that it isn't upside down.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

Sorry but the top thing is the naccele, Adams and Robert said they would stick tot he normal trek design dictates. Compare the naccelle to those of the Enterprise in the dock yard in the teaser trailer and those of the Re-imagined Enterprise on You Tube. And as a rule their are no deflector dishes above the bridge! And the orange light at he end of the structure is another clue it is a naccelle!

AND if you would look just below the right turrent thing you will see the black line physically joining with the hull. Shadows are not connected to the hull! Also the shadow appers under the red phaser fire!

Last edited by Chroniton : 10-19-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Fleet Admiral

I don't think so. First becase the blue thing looks like a deflector dish, second because the orange seems to be more likely the bussard collector and, most important, third because the part behind the blue thing is not straight like nacelles usually are but bent, like an engineering section.

If you flip the picture around, it looks very familiar:

This is the most likely approximation IMO, blue deflector plus engineering section above and nacelle with orange bussard collector below the saucer:

Old 10-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Banned

But the picture is no upside down and itis the naccle above the saucer, it fits the profile of the naccelles we saw on 1701.com.

Behold the orangy/ brown deflector dish from TOS! Compare it the orangy/brown shape below the saucer section.

Last edited by Chroniton : 10-19-2008 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Fleet Admiral

I only flipped the picture around to show a pretty familiar shooting angle from which it looks a hell lot like the ENT-A.

The orange deflector dish colour is a ncie observation, but again I don't understand why a nacelle should be convexly bent, that is why I believe it is the engineering section.
You mentioned the Freedom and the Saladin class, both had nacelles below the saucer and I don't think that there is something like a design rule which prevents the engineering section plus deflector to be above the saucer (otherwise one could have argued against designs like the Saladin or Freedom class that the nacelles are always above the saucer).

from: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/sftm.htm

But all this is just speculation, we know pretty much nothing yet.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:03 PM
Banned

I have yet to see a ship class withe deflector above the bridge, and this looks like one of the concept drawings for TOS Enterprise.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Commander

Anyone upset with it having a single Nacelle? I think it's a cool design, am quite supprised though, I was expecting something a bit more like an earlier variant of the miranda class, or perhaps even a more modern Daedalus class. Am pleased with the look though, can't wait to see the Enterprise now!