The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > What are you hoping that the movie will accomplish?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Ensign

And if this movie accomplishes what it intends to do, it would likely create a new-generation fan-base, and possibly a renewed franchise based on this film, which will likely create a demand... if it is successful.

There are always possibilities.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Midshipman

In my opinion you have to see whether you're an "Risk it all" person or you want something over time.

I'm making an assumption here and maybe a numbers guy could boost or sink my argument. I believe that movie's are "risk it all" ventures, whereas the series are safer. I would argue that the money made from one movie doesn't come close to the money made from a series. We see box office and some of the perperphrial sales in movies, we see almost nothing in T.V. But my guess is that between add sales at the time of the series, DVD sales, merchandising (from the Toys to the Trek Conventions) that TNG, DS9 and/or Voyager outsold the best Trek movie, which I think moneywise is still Khan (adjusted for inflation).

Beyond the money though, when Trek, DS9 and Voyager ran they had a pretty decent lock on the media market. We talked Trek and wanted Trek all the time! If you just focus on the movies, well, Trek isn't Star Wars. I don't know if movies, unless they're big box office - which hasn't been the case of the Trek franchise, will keep Trek alive. I believe that without a series "OK" movies and novels won't keep Trek alive, but only on Life Support.

I'd also point out that the Trek the majority of people love the most is the TNG universe Trek which encompasses TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Another series set in that timeline, with maybe even a few actors from the old Series, I think would be fun. But I don't know.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:23 AM
Lieutenant

That it'll bring back Star Trek to what it was...with more movies, series, toys, etc.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Isaac Lawrence

What am I hoping the movie will accomplish?

First, like most, I hope the movie is successful. And I don't want it to just be a success with Trekkies and Trekkers. I want it to have mainstream success, and hopefully J.J. Abrams is setting it up for that.

Beyond that, I want the movie to lead to a spin-off television series. And since there's no reason not to ask for the moon, I want that television series in a prime time slot on CBS.

And no, I don't want any kind of continuation of anything from the past 20 years of Star Trek shows. No, wipe the slate clean and pick up where the movie left off. Whatever vision J.J. Abrams and the others set forth in the movie (assuming of course the movie has mainstream success), then that's the vision I want to see in a spin-off television series.

And a spin-off television series doesn't necessarily have to be Enterprise-centric. Again, just a continuation of whatever new vision of Star Trek from the movie will suffice; be it a show that focuses on Starfleet or Starfleet Academy, another ship, or just simply life in the 23rd century.

"To the moon, Alice! To the moon!"
Old 02-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaleck View Post
That it'll bring back Star Trek to what it was...with more movies, series, toys, etc.
That is indeed the dream, exactly what i hope to happen.

HardyCofE
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
Midshipman

I just want more stories with kirk and spock. I liked next gen and deep space, enterprise was ok, and I hated voyager. In the end I L O V E D the original crew, ship and characters.

Anything done to promote that, be it TV or movie, I'll be happy with, everything else will just be better than ok or worse.

Sure I'd go see almost any trek film but I'll be front row first night for this.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM
Midshipman

I'm hoping that it will provide new imagination and new interest to the franchise. 40+ years, that's quite an accomplishment onto itself. Here's hoping that Star Trek will provide new entertainment to those who create it, the moviegoers who'll go see it, and those who will see it for the first time. A retelling of a legend. Roddenberry's "Wagontrain to the Stars" will be enjoyed by a new generation. From one Trekkie of 20+ years, congrats to JJ and the all the gang at Paramount. See you 12-25-08!
Old 02-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Ensign

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Lawrence View Post
And no, I don't want any kind of continuation of anything from the past 20 years of Star Trek shows. No, wipe the slate clean and pick up where the movie left off. Whatever vision J.J. Abrams and the others set forth in the movie (assuming of course the movie has mainstream success), then that's the vision I want to see in a spin-off television series.

And a spin-off television series doesn't necessarily have to be Enterprise-centric. Again, just a continuation of whatever new vision of Star Trek from the movie will suffice; be it a show that focuses on Starfleet or Starfleet Academy, another ship, or just simply life in the 23rd century.
I couldn't agree more!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Commander

I'd like to see a successful movie in Trekdom and the mainstream and perhaps a new tv show set in teh 25th or 26th century.

However, thie begs the question: Can this movie be popular both amongst Trekkies and the mainstream?
Old 02-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
As a Trekkie, or Trekker if you prefer, I of course hope the movie does well. But I wonder what everyone is thinking about AFTER a successful movie?

Star Trek lived more through T.V. then the movies. This cast, because of some of the Big Stars, will not create T.V. series. So where does this go?

You can't have a pre-quel T.V. series, that's the only series that has died. So what do you do after this movie that sets the light on the stage back to The Original Series (TOS).

Again, I'm just curious for some input. Assuming, and hoping, that the movie is a Blockbuster success, what's your next move?
What I'm hoping this movie will accomplish, is a "shot in the arm" for the Star Trek franchise. I am hoping this will help to keep Star Trek as being the most popular Sci-Fi franchise for a long time to come, and will help to ensure that the legacy which has given us all so much inspiration and enjoyment, is passed as a torch to a new generation so that the "vision" doesn't grow old and disappear.

I'd say a new series would be a great idea, but creativity is such that a "prequel" may not necessarilly be required for that to happen.

Last edited by SouthernSpockette : 02-04-2008 at 05:18 PM.