The Official Star Trek Movie Forum

The Official Star Trek Movie Forum > Star Trek > Star Trek XI: The Movie > Plot Rumors (SPOILERS!)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS9TREK View Post
And they say they want the movie to appeal to non-fans? Doesn't sound like it will...
Expand on your theory.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Midshipman

Very logical spock...

Could be a leaked story line as well, JJ runs his productions like a KGB agent...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:24 AM
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock2015 View Post
Maybe some do, but it seems the general idea of this film is to refresh the franchise, and gain a new audience... I doubt they could accomplish this goal by employing this rumored story line... this strikes me as a story line that would be acceptable
If it's marketed right, the people will come. One need not worry a "new audience won't understand it." While audiences have seen some pretty dumb movies, they are not so dumb to not be able to follow a story line.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:31 AM
Midshipman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock2015 View Post
I think if they are trying to revitalize the franchise, the key is to bring everything back to basics, rather than turn the world upside down... do fans really want to see something take place inside an alternate reality (Aside from the Mirror universe, of course.)

Maybe some do, but it seems the general idea of this film is to refresh the franchise, and gain a new audience... I doubt they could accomplish this goal by employing this rumored story line... this strikes me as a story line that would be acceptable, only should it be done in a later chapter, and then, only if done correctly, which would no doubt still face great adversity.
Well said. Thats why I don't believe these rumors are true. If this is gonna be the beginning of a new Star Trek franchise, this convoluted time travel in alternate realities story won't work.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant

People need to realize that we are 11 months before the movie is shown. There will be many, many rumors about the plot in that time period. If Abrams/Nimoy say this movie is going to appeal to non-Trekkies, then it's a good bet it will.

We have been given only a fraction of what this movie is going to be about, we must keep an open mind until we see hard evidence...

The time travel is more realistic plot than the alternate universe, but it's still possible...

Don't forget that time travel movies/episodes are some of the best. This includes "Yesterday's Enterprise," an alternate universe episode.

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Lieutenant Commander

If there is one thing for certain its that JJ Abrams is a master at misinformation and will get people talking in every direction. This is probably quite entertaining to he and his camp.

He is a guru at generating discussions which prove to be both frustrating and fun at the same time. I wonder if JJ has had explosive implants installed in everyones head(aka MI3)
to deter them from leaking to the press.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhaige View Post
If there is one thing for certain its that JJ Abrams is a master at misinformation and will get people talking in every direction. This is probably quite entertaining to he and his camp.

He is a guru at generating discussions which prove to be both frustrating and fun at the same time. I wonder if JJ has had explosive implants installed in everyones head(aka MI3)
to deter them from leaking to the press.
It's all about the Magic Box.

What is in the box?
Old 02-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant

Default Eric Bana (NERO) to have small limited CAMEO role.

Eric Bana said in a Australian interview that his character Nero will have small part in the film but it will be crucial to the story. This will ensure the focus will mostly be on the main characters instead of the villian. Here is the link.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/02/04/bana...le-about-trek/
Old 02-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Lieutenant Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneBuckFilms View Post
It's all about the Magic Box.

What is in the box?
Yes indeed, I really like his mystery box approach to story telling.

And if you have ever seen Lost you know many mystery boxes were created and few if any opened which is what keeps people addicted to it.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Rear Admiral

Eh, yeah but Lost is only 8 episodes this season, and it has nothing to do with the writers strike, it has to with how many years can they keep these people on the island.

But, other than that, you make a good point.